• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - Best Comedy?

127 posts in this topic

Office Space

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Beavis and Butthead Do America

How could I forget Ferris Bueller's Day Off - that's an all-time classic !!! 27_laughing.gif

p.s. I work for a stock market data vendor, and actually have the Beavis and Butthead laugh wav every time I get an e-mail through. Watch me rush for the volume when I have a client present.... foreheadslap.gif

Funniest Movies:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - I do not know how many times I've seen this movie, but I know I've seen it more than any other. The perfect mesh of smart and stupid humor. cloud9.gif

Dumb & Dumber - This movie gets better with each viewing. It is so ridiculously stupid. I love it!

South Park - First time I saw this movie, I almost died laughing. I had stopped watching the show for about a year before this came out, so I rented it just to check it out. This movie is *edit* sweet! wink.gif

So many! Hmmm - I feel a pre-code post-code moment coming on:

pre-code (old)

MY MAN GODFREY

LIFE WITH FATHER

PHILADELPHIA STORY

TOPPER

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT

post-code (new)

A FISH CALLED WANDA

CLUELESS (yes, I posted that!)

THE PRINCESS BRIDE

RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD

DELLAMORTE DELLAMORE (aka CEMETERY MAN)

Many more but....

Pov, "Life With Father," "Philadelphia Story" and "Topper" are not "pre-code," unless we're talking about the CCA code? If you mean the film industry's self-imposed censorship code, that was implemented in '34, I believe, and the three movies referenced above are '47, '40, and '38, or right around those dates, as I recall.

BTW:

Pov is right on the money with "Cemetary Man" - it's a horror comedy combo from Italy that's pretty hilarious. It also features one of the most buxom and generally hot Italian actresses I've seen in a long time - and she gets nekked...

classic FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH. Sean Penn's best role ever. "I'm so wasted!" "All I need are some tasty waves, cool buds, and I'm fine."

I think it's "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine".

Actually, I'm pretty sure he said "buds" in the original. If you ever see the film on TV, they've edited out that statement ... leading me to suspect he did say "buds".

Right after Penn made that movie, he came to Mendocino, where I lived at the time, to film "Racing With the Moon," along with other young starts Elizabeth McGovern and Nic Cage. I had just headed down to Berkeley for college, but my brother and several friends ended up hanging out with Penn and Cage a few times, smoking the 4:20 with 'em, etc. Penn was in his "James Dean" phase at the time, and ended up putting a bunch of bullet holes in the hood of the Camaro or Trans-Am that he'd driven up from Hollywood...just for kicks, you understand...

Blazing Saddles

A little trivia for y'all...

Richard Pryor wrote two scenes in Blazing Saddles...

One was the campfire scene with all the farting, no dialogue at all

(If you've ever had the misfortune to see the film on TV, you'll note that the censors edit out the farting sounds...so all that's left is a bunch of cowpokes sittin' round the campfire, eatin' beans and occasionally raising their butts in the air - takes all the air outta the scene, in a sense.)

The other scene Pryor wrote is the one with Madeline Kahn and Cleavon Little on the train, where she's trying to seduce him and he knows it. The lights go out, and she starts moaning and carrying on. In the original -script as Pryor wrote it, the scene ends with the lights still out (screen is completely dark) and Madeline cooing "Oooh, it's true what they say about black men, my god, it's TRUE!" and Cleavon replies "hey, leggo, lady - you're gonna break my arm!" wink.gif

Booty Call (Just for the scene where they came out wrapped in Saran wrap! Laughed so hard it hurt!)

That scene my friend,was hilarious!!! Best Birth Control I've ever seen!!! 27_laughing.gif

Anything with the Marx Brothers.

Truer words never spoken... The Marx Brothers were the biggest comedy box office draw of the late '20s and early '30s, by a long shot.

"Why, this contract's so simple a child of four could understand it... run out and find me a child of four!"

Actually, I'm pretty sure he said "buds" in the original. If you ever see the film on TV, they've edited out that statement ... leading me to suspect he did say "buds".

The edited-for-TV version of "Fast Times" is worth seeing in its own right, as there are at least a couple of scenes or parts of scenes that are in the TV version but were somehow edited out of the original film!

When are they going to make a decent DVD for "Fast Times" that doesn't only have a mono soundtrack and that includes all the deleted scenes? 893frustrated.gif

By the way, let's not forget another true classic - SIXTEEN CANDLES!

"Whassa happenin', hot stuff?"

"No more yanky my wanky - the Donger need food!"

"Automobile?"

"Married?"

"You know, black and white would really capture this moment."

"Oh real smooth, Cliff."

"Ted, that's the prom queen! You got two girls in one night!"

"Video."

"Score, a direct hit."

Pov, "Life With Father," "Philadelphia Story" and "Topper" are not "pre-code," unless we're talking about the CCA code?

Actually, I've been using "pre-code" and "post-code" to designate "older" vs "newer" films in ALL of these posts. No relation to either Hays/Breen OR Wertham! Just a "fun" way of separating older from newer (in my mind) films.

But it is good to see folks here converstant with the Hollywood Production Code! Oh - and MY MAN GODFREY was 1936. The kicker is IT HAPPENED ONE NIOGHT, which is 1934. It IS a bit "spicy". grin.gif

Comedys are tricky to find worth watching these days.

(modern comedys have one or two good laughs and people rave about them).

Most of the classics have been menchioned already,

but here are a few that are totally great besides my all time favorite.

Trading Places (1983) (10 out of 10)(when Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd were at their best)

I felt this is my Favorite. I can watch this movie again and again and still laugh about stuff i know is coming up through-out the flick.

Other greats include:

• Coming to America (1988) (9.5/10)

• Clerks (1994) (9/10)

• There's something about Mary (1998) (9/10)

• National Lampoons Christmas Vacation (1989) (9/10) A must see, every year

around the holidays.

• The Great Outdoors (1988) (9/10) A great John Candy Dan Aykroyd team-up!

• Skin Deep (1989) (8/10) Here is a rare gem that has John Ritter as we all know

and love 'em doing those outlandish situations that got his famous on Threes Company.

Note: this is the only movie that he has ever made that was worth watching

• Son in Law (1993) (7.5/10) Pauly Shore in a rare performance that is a class act

above anything else he ever did on the big screen.

• What About Bob? (1991) (7/10) Here is a great comedy for those that don't mind the

"pick at you" style of comedy that is found in Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

(Don't get me wrong PT and A is a solid 9.5/10 but it has already been menchioned)

Supa, if you're a Sam Raimi / Bruce Campbell fan, you should get a book titled "If Chins Could Kill," by Campbell. It's about the making of the first two ED movies, and it's hilarious.

You might also look up a film called "Mind Warp" that seems to have some relation to the ED and Army of Darkness films...? Maybe it's entirely coincidental, but it seems to take place between ED2 and AoD...

Actually, I've been using "pre-code" and "post-code" to designate "older" vs "newer" films in ALL of these posts. No relation to either Hays/Breen OR Wertham! Just a "fun" way of separating older from newer (in my mind) films.

But it is good to see folks here converstant with the Hollywood Production Code! Oh - and MY MAN GODFREY was 1936. The kicker is IT HAPPENED ONE NIOGHT, which is 1934. It IS a bit "spicy". grin.gif

Ah - got it. Yes, It Happened One Night is definitely 'spicy' for its day - especially the "cabin-sharing" scene - that musta put some studio execs (and audience members) right over the edge smile.gif

I'm preferential to Capra, Sturges and the screwball comedies myself.

Some others I highly recommend:

- His Girl Friday (best dialogue in any comedy, ever)

- You Can't Take it With You

- Harvey (simply one of the finest, most perfect films ever)

- Sullivan's Travels

- Holiday (Kate and Cary, together again - need I say more?)

- The Awful Truth

- Mr. and Mrs. Smith

- My Favorite Wife

...and slightly newer:

Some Like It Hot

The Court Jester

The Apartment

Bell, Book and Candle

...for a more recent film that ranks high among all-time comedies and pays homage to some of the great screwball masters, you gotta see The Hudsucker Proxy !

Supa, if you're a Sam Raimi / Bruce Campbell fan, you should get a book titled "If Chins Could Kill," by Campbell. It's about the making of the first two ED movies, and it's hilarious.

You might also look up a film called "Mind Warp" that seems to have some relation to the ED and Army of Darkness films...? Maybe it's entirely coincidental, but it seems to take place between ED2 and AoD...

thanks for the 411! acclaim.gif i'm a HUGE fan of both. thumbsup2.gif