• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 11 GA Acquisitions of 2011. Post 'em if you got 'em.

424 posts in this topic

I've bought 8 books so far in 2011. My goal is to hit 9 before the end of the year.

This is my favorite new addition. Particularly important for me since my Mickey Mouse Magazine run is substantially nicer than my Walt Disney's Comics and Stories. This fills the most difficult remaining high grade gap in my combined run.

118676.jpg

For the life of me, I cannot imagine how this amazing book could have been posted without any follow-up comments. Spectacular!!

I've bought 8 books so far in 2011. My goal is to hit 9 before the end of the year.

This is my favorite new addition. Particularly important for me since my Mickey Mouse Magazine run is substantially nicer than my Walt Disney's Comics and Stories. This fills the most difficult remaining high grade gap in my combined run.

118676.jpg

For the life of me, I cannot imagine how this amazing book could have been posted without any follow-up comments. Spectacular!!

The Windy City copy?

118676.jpg

'Tis indeed quite a marvel!!! :cloud9:

The Windy City copy?

Does it look like it? I don't know anything about the provenance except that it was the first book ever graded by CGC (note the serial number) and that Heritage brokered a private sale a few months after it failed to sell in their October 2002 auction. If anyone has more information I would greatly appreciate it.

I remember you wrote that you sold the Windy City to Stephen Fishler, so I would have thought ComicConnect (where I bought it) would have mentioned that. The only other high grade examples I have heard of are the Denver, the San Francisco, and the Crescent City/Leonard Brown copies. Of the four, the latter is the only one I've seen for sale in the time I've collected US comics.

This thread has very enjoyable, btw.

118676.jpg

'Tis indeed quite a marvel!!! :cloud9:

+ 1.

So far, its been a really good year for we GA folks. Lots of quality material has changed hands, and hopefully, found good homes.

I'm still waiting to see who bought the Larson Torch # 2 (3) that's been on Comiclink like 56 times in the last year. I'm really hoping it finds a permanent home.

This thread is like a museum! :cloud9:

If so, my 2011 acquisitions would be stored in the basement storage areas, you know, where Ben Stiller and the little solidier dudes battle it out with the mummies and everything falls off the shelves and gets blown up. lol

Still looking forward to the thread-starters' books... hm

Hi tb,

It does look like it. I sold it to Stephen back around 1987 or so, and if he had a customer for it at that time and sold it, then it could be this book. More than likely though, it's not, as the page quality would probably have been C/OW. I'm sure Stephen would know though...

118676.jpg

Beautiful copy of a classic! :applause:

118676.jpg

Beautiful copy of a classic! :applause:

.....that's also the FIRST book CGC graded. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I've been waiting on this one for a while. Definitely one of my highlights for the year.

Exciting06.jpg

That is freakin' incredible! (thumbs u