• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alan Moore on Frank Miller's rant.

284 posts in this topic

You know what I realized? I have never read a single Alan Moore comic, even though several are on my to-read list (shrug)

Start with Wildcats. It's all uphill from there.

:sumo:

You know what I realized? I have never read a single Alan Moore comic, even though several are on my to-read list (shrug)

Start with Wildcats. It's all uphill from there.

lol

Pretty sure I have a complete run of Wildcats but it's definitely not on my reading list

:o

No Watchmen, V for Vendetta, From Hell, Marvel/Miracle-man? Really?

Nope. From Hell, V For Vendetta, and Swamp Thing are on the list. I don't think I'm even interested in Watchmen :shy:

Alan Moore is a genius, and like many of the sort, is kind of out there on his own little metaphysical island.

As for the comments he made re; Miller, I can't really argue with many of them, except to note that he doesn't give Miller the credit he's due for the aesthetic quality of his work, which as a writer-artist is rather quite good. Although, thinking about it, Moore's really just commenting on the stories, so not surprising he would find Miller's work after DK juvenile, because it rather is when one thinks about it

Alan Moore is an interesting character, a self proclaimed anarchist/conjurer, who turned down huge hollywood paydays on various projects as he didnt want his name attached to the flicks.

He is imo the greatest comicbook writer ever, certainly not for quantity of output but quality. Readily identifiable body of work, V For Vendetta, Watchmen, Killing Joke, Lost Girls, From Hell, Miracleman, Swamp Thing, LOEG. Moore strikes me, as much as you can know someone from just their external output, their work, as well as a few youtube postings I have seen of him, as someone who is a deep thinker non conformist.

Yep, I am a fan of Moore over Miller and think Moore has a head on his shoulders, he reminds me of an old philosophy prof I had back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Alan Moore is an interesting character, a self proclaimed anarchist/conjurer, who turned down huge hollywood paydays on various projects as he didnt want his name attached to the flicks.

He is imo the greatest comicbook writer ever, certainly not for quantity of output but quality. Readily identifiable body of work, V For Vendetta, Watchment, Killing Joke, Lost Girls, From Hell, Miracleman, Swamp Thing, LOEG. Moore strikes me, as much, as you can know someone from just their external output, their work, as well as a few youtube postings I have seen of him, as someone who is a deep thinker non conformist.

Yep, I am a fan of Moore over Miller and think Moore has a head on his shoulders, he reminds me of an old philosophy prof I had back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth.

You need to include Top Ten, Promethea, Tom Strong and his run on Supreme to that list.

Moore's pastiche of traditional super-hero stories began long before Marvelman or Watchmen. In the late 70's early 80's he penned a few strips for the British music press under the pseudonym of Curt Vile - the best of these was 'The Stars My Degradation." You can find more info here: The Stars My Degradation

Very rare interview with Alan Moore's alter ego here, originally from 1982 and explaining why he decided to kick the beejesubs out of the Claremont and Byrne X-Men. Curt Vile

He is imo the greatest comicbook writer ever, certainly not for quantity of output but quality. Readily identifiable body of work, V For Vendetta, Watchment, Killing Joke, Lost Girls, From Hell, Miracleman, Swamp Thing, LOEG. Moore strikes me, as much, as you can know someone from just their external output, their work, as well as a few youtube postings I have seen of him, as someone who is a deep thinker non conformist.

Greatest ever? Really?

Even better than Stan Lee, who's readily identifiable work includes:

Spiderman, Hulk, X-Men, FF, Daredevil, Avengers, Nick Fury/SHIELD, Thor, Iron Man, Ant Man, etc.

Really?

Greatest ever? Really?

Spiderman, Hulk, X-Men, FF, Daredevil, Avengers, Nick Fury/SHIELD, Thor, Iron Man, Ant Man, etc.

Really?

Yep.

Greatest ever? Really?

Really?

Yep.

You'd have to get past not only Alan Moore but also Harvey Kurtzman and Will Eisner before you'd be ready to rank Stan Lee.