• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature Series 2012

106 posts in this topic

I have attempted to crack blue labels.. I'm not too good :(

That part will hurt the most

I will crack books for people at shows, just give me them at night or after the show to do it. I have no problem with it, just buy me a soda once in awhile lol

Have any of you actually seen the amount of books that get brought to shows so that the letterer of a book can be added to it or an editor? The amount of shipping charges that CGC pays for each and every show these books are brought to? The loading of a massive cart that has to be brought back and forth each day to the show?

At $10 pr. book that's being held for another show, I would assume that CGC makes more than enough money on the holds to pay for the shipping of these books - I could see your point if CGC was offering this service for free, but they aren't.

To me this is like saying "do you realize how much extra equipment we have to bring in order to do on-site slabbing at WW Chicago?" Yeah, I realize that CGC incurs a large cost doing so - but that's offset by the significantly higher than normal on-site grading prices.

Many of you don't know this but Joe often, almost always, has to put money from his own pocket into getting books signed by artists or celebrities that sign. CGC does not pay this, Joe does. I would expect people to know this ahead of time, especially seeing the names of the people on the invoices. Now with no holds, you can resend in your book with the proper funds to add more signatures and Joe is not paying for it hoping someone gets him the money the next week. Sorry, irks me to no end and many times I have had to put money in the 'kitty' to get books that have been held finally signed.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying here, Jon - if someone sends a book to CGC for a celebrity signature, they're going to be charged (by CGC) for the cost of getting that signature. Whether this is a single signature (at one show) or multiple signatures (spread out over multiple shows) doesn't really matter - in the end the submitter will be the one paying that bill.

If CGC doesn't furnish Joe with enough petty cash to procure these signatures, that truly sucks for Joe (and any CAW who's helping him) - but what does that have to do with whether a book is being held or not? Getting 1 signature at one show or getting 2 signatures spread out over 2 shows should make no difference whatsoever - the cost pr. signature pr. show is still the same, and it's up to CGC to plan ahead & give Joe the money he needs in order to do his job :shrug:

To the part of the quote I put in bold:

They don't, which is what I thought I stated, and the money is not coming in with the books or at least that is what I have to assume when I am offering up my money to assist with procuring an artist who charges or a celebrity (and I am not talking $20, but in the hundreds).

As I read through what you posted again...

No CGC does not charge the person for the signature (if you are thinking that a signature is X amount and the cost of grading is Y amount, then the total is X+Y...charge the card). CGC can only take money in the form of cash for the creators or Joe has to take Paypal in order to help people out. The only part that is charged to a person is the grading and shipping, not an artists fee or celebrities fee. Like I said, ridiculous on so many levels.

I can't argue all day long on this, but trust me, it is not in the best interest for CGC to continue the practice of bringing 500 books to a show in the hopes of adding signatures. Just as soon I am going to start a thread on Facilitator starting to return books to people after each show instead of holding them until who knows when...but I digress as always...

People can still add their celebrities to books or multiple signature, but now they will have to grade after each show and resubmit for each signing. And clearly that is what CGC is going to do. I am simply adding some reasoning behind the decision from my point of view and from being in the trenches.

It sounds to me that facilators and CAWs will have to shoulder the load and work in advance to collect money for Sigs. Keep things organized and pick up the slack.

I guess my question to Joe is.. the 200 book minimum for CAWs still in effect for 2012….

Maybe the lower volume of books being submitted will help get the turnaround times back on track. lol

Seriously though, this doesn't surprise me at all. I've wondered before why they would allow for books to be held from one show to the next. Looking at it from a business perspective it just doesn't make sense. It would essentially cause them to lose potential profit by causing them to put the time and effort into transporting and then getting the books signed which, I would imagine, isn't cheap. Add onto that the cost of insurance that covers the books while in their possession and the payroll percentage and it more than likely isn't cost effective to offer a hold service for multiple sigs even for a nominal fee.

From the perspective of a collector it's not something I'm thrilled to hear but I completely understand it. If nothing else maybe it will cause people to appreciate multi-signature books even more.

i always admired the commitment to the business the CGC staff has always demonstrated at shows. They have always been very patient with their customers. (Come on you were a newbie once too!) They had always went the extra mile to help the customer out with prepping books (cracking slabs/window bags) for people at the show. You guys are the best.

Now, not picking on JJ but some things you said about being behind the 8 ball, the number of books that need to be moved and shipped, the burdon on Joes pocket etc...

I think these are all examples that echo mismanagement and lack of support the staff needs at shows to keep up their level of service.

i feel bad you guys are swamped, I think its disgusting that management sets you up for failure by not providing you with enough staff to take on as much business as you can. I know two shows I have attended, the CGC booth had to stop taking books in for signature series? Really? You have to stop making dollars at a show? In this economy, people are throwing money at you and when your business has to stop servicing customers it is a MAJOR problem.

I understand the changes but i feel is a level of service to the customer down a notch.

sorry for the rant.

i always admired the commitment to the business the CGC staff has always demonstrated at shows. They have always been very patient with their customers. (Come on you were a newbie once too!) They had always went the extra mile to help the customer out with prepping books (cracking slabs/window bags) for people at the show. You guys are the best.

Now, not picking on JJ but some things you said about being behind the 8 ball, the number of books that need to be moved and shipped, the burdon on Joes pocket etc...

I think these are all examples that echo mismanagement and lack of support the staff needs at shows to keep up their level of service.

i feel bad you guys are swamped, I think its disgusting that management sets you up for failure by not providing you with enough staff to take on as much business as you can. I know two shows I have attended, the CGC booth had to stop taking books in for signature series? Really? You have to stop making dollars at a show? In this economy, people are throwing money at you and when your business has to stop servicing customers is a MAJOR problem.

I understand the changes but i feel is a level of service to the customer down a notch.

sorry for the rant.

Glenn, it is dialogue and that is never a bad thing. I quickly tell you that no one wants to stop taking subs early on and I hope that NYCC went further then it might have as we had a game plan that people really followed to get books done.

Stating that you were disappointed by not being able to or seeing that you were not able to submit books for SS is one of the points I was trying to stress originally. You paid to be there, to sub books and the worst feeling besides seeing a line for the ATM is hearing that no more books can be taken...

i feel bad you guys are swamped, I think its disgusting that management sets you up for failure by not providing you with enough staff to take on as much business as you can. I know two shows I have attended, the CGC booth had to stop taking books in for signature series? Really? You have to stop making dollars at a show? In this economy, people are throwing money at you and when your business has to stop servicing customers is a MAJOR problem.

sorry for the rant.

Glenn, it is dialogue and that is never a bad thing. I quickly tell you that no one wants to stop taking subs early on and I hope that NYCC went further then it might have as we had a game plan that people really followed to get books done.

Stating that you were disappointed by not being able to or seeing that you were not able to submit books for SS is one of the points I was trying to stress originally. You paid to be there, to sub books and the worst feeling besides seeing a line for the ATM is hearing that no more books can be taken...

its just crazy, i wish my business had the problem of too many customers.

sorry for the rant.

its just crazy, i wish my business had to problem to too many customers.

I wish you would trade me your Halloween book :baiting:

sorry for the rant.

its just crazy, i wish my business had to problem to too many customers.

I wish you would trade me your Halloween book :baiting:

maybe if you had any good books to trade! :devil:

let go of the reigns and let's see the good stuff.

Still believe 100% that SS should be entirely in house. If this never becomes an option, then I believe with JJ that facilitators should have tight restrictions on how they handle books.

Stuff has to move faster. Some of these time frames I have seen on here are absolutely unacceptable. It's really up to the customer to help police and let the higher ups know when something isn't right, but I will be happy to fight the fight for the masses.

2) I understand completely. I know CGC staff and the facilitators work extremely hard prepping for shows. If removing blue label crack-outs at the booth helps CGC get more of the sigs that were subbed, I'm all for it.

Nobody likes price increases, but they're part of life. I'm thankful for all CGC staff and facilitators that make CGC SS possible. Keep up the good work and thank you.

CGC Sketch Opps WILL NOT be affected by this, other than the new grading, fast track, and invoice fees.

So, what you're saying is they will be exactly the same except more expensive?

There's one in every class :flamed:

Anyways, I agree with CGC on their new set of rules. Things have to change for the better. NYCC was crazy, and I think to protec the interest of the company, rules and price changes had to be made.

I have attempted to crack blue labels.. I'm not too good :(

That part will hurt the most

I will crack books for people at shows, just give me them at night or after the show to do it. I have no problem with it, just buy me a soda once in awhile lol

soda = beer hm

Hmmm hm

Not sure if I need to be happy or sad about this change.

On one hand, I may save a ton of money since I will not be able to send a large amount of books covering 2 conventions.

But on the other hand I may spend a ton of money sending a small amount of books via express so I can hope they will be back in time to send to another convention and at $98.00 for Express .. cough.. not going to be very many books.

Is there any way we can have more on site grading done at some of the larger conventions???

Still believe 100% that SS should be entirely in house. If this never becomes an option, then I believe with JJ that facilitators should have tight restrictions on how they handle books.

Stuff has to move faster. Some of these time frames I have seen on here are absolutely unacceptable. It's really up to the customer to help police and let the higher ups know when something isn't right, but I will be happy to fight the fight for the masses.

[font:Book Antiqua]We, the masses are happy with the hard work of the facilators.

Thank you adonis and all the facilator for provide great sketch and ss operations

for all the board members

keep the hard work

we apreciate your work [/font]

(thumbs u

Can one of the powers that be explain the pricing in this article. Is this going to be the new onsite pricing and was accidentally attached to the wrong show?

Posted on 12/6/2011

Don't miss these opportunities to submit your books to CGC.

CGC will be accepting submissions for all service levels at two shows in January: New Orleans Comic Con at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans, January 28–29, 2012, and the California Comic Convention at the Yorba Linda Community Center in Yorba Linda, January 29. These include Modern*, Economy, Standard, Express and more! Stop by the CGC booth to submit comic books or magazines for regular turnaround. All submissions will be sent to our office in Sarasota, Florida.

Tier Pricing:

Modern (Comics 1980–present, valued US $200 or less) — $36

Economy (Comics valued US $300 or less) — $60

Standard (Comics valued US $1,000 or less) — $95

Express (Comics valued US $3,000 or less) — $150

WalkThru (Comics any value) — min $225; max $3,000 3% FMV

Please note we are no longer accepting ReHolder submissions at shows.

Come by the show to submit books to CGC and even have a few books witnessed under the prestigious Signature Series designation. Stop by the booth first for details about this program or you can make arrangements in advance on our Chat Boards.

Visit our booth to get answers to any questions about the services offered by CGC. Please remember that CGC does not provide opinions or free evaluations at trade shows.

Collector Society members — You must fill in your Collectors Society number on the submission form. We cannot add this information after your order is submitted.

*Modern Tier is for comic books published 1980 to present, valued at $200 or less per book.

Articles List

The benefit I see re: 1) is that fewer people will show up on these boards asking where their books are when they were being held indefinite periods of time waiting for the Facilitator to find a show where the creator(s) are appearing to complete the sig requests.

In theory there are no holds between shows, so the Facilitator will have to be up front with the customer if the book isn't signed. If a book is missed the Facilitator *should* have to close the invoice without the completed book, and ask the customer whether they want to wait for a future appearance or have the book sent back (and money refunded) or graded as a blue label. I imagine Joe is probably up to his ears in incomplete invoices waiting for select books to be finished at upcoming events.

Signature Series for 2012 will run as it has with the exception of a few changes.

1) Additional signature hold will no longer be available. A book can be signed at one event and then it must be submitted. The only exception to this is if a facilitator arranges a signing event such as DWC's Legends signings or NYComics Masters signings. The event much be pre-arranged with us and the books must be completed within that arranged window of time and then submitted.

2) Crack-outs at conventions. We will no longer be doing blue label crack-outs at conventions. These do not have to be opened in front of an employee or witness. We will handle yellow label crack-outs for additional signatures since they have to be opened in front of an employee or witness.

1). I think this makes sense. Sure it's gonna be a lot harder & expensive to obtain multiple sigs, but truth be told, it's not fair for CGC to carry books around to shows with them to obtain the second or third signature. That's a lot of extra weight they have to carry.

2). Who the heck brings blue labels to be cracked at the actual convention?? ???