• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A tyro and his comics...

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am new to the boards (I await my "Welcome to the boards!") and have been selling comics on ebay for the past year. Before this time, I had no knowledge of comics or grading. Over the course of this time all of my customers have been quite pleased with my grading and service. But, I wanted to test myself against some comic afficianados. So the point of my post is what would you grade this book:

38f.jpg" border="0

38b.jpg" border="0

Also, in addition to the grading, does anyone suspect trimming on the right edge of the book. I have never seen a trimmed book, but noticed that the comics code box and the "#2 1965" box are sliced off a bit. Could this just be a printing defect??? Well I look forward to your responses and after you guys feedback Ill post my writeup/grade. Thanks in advance for you time!

Gregory.

Looks like a nice solid Fine / Fine + (6.0 - 6.5) to me. Nice eye appeal for a mid-grade book. thumbsup2.gifacclaim.gif

I highly doubt it's trimmed. Cuts like this are very common. I am not familiar with this particular issue, but there are many Silver Age books that commonly have trimming which crops part of the price, comics codes box, etc. A good rule of thumb is that cropped elements on the page are NOT a reliable indicator of restorative trimming. The edges and corners of this book are consistant with it's overall condition.

If the corners were sharper and the inside pages were showing, I'd be more concerned.

Welcome!! hi.gif

Pov, are you stalking this guy already?!? Dammit, man, how many times have I told you?

Welcome to the boards, Elgrump, although if you were really new to the boards you wouldn't know about the welcome, now would you...? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Back to the book at hand... nice copy, I've got one myself, slightly higher grade I suspect. Given the smallish scans, one can only conjecture, but I'd say it looks around FN/FN+ (6.0 / 6.5) from the pics provided.

Even harder to venture a guess on the trimming possibility, since even large scans don't usually enable sufficient scrutiny, but if I had to bet hard-earned money on it, I'd guess this copy isn't trimmed. Call it a gut feeling.

Also, I'd respectfully point out that, per your comment "I've never seen a trimmed book," my guess is that you have in fact seen more than a few trimmed books (unless you're only selling books from your own original-owner collection), you just didn't realize it smile.gif Some of the trimmers out there are very good...

Welcome to the Boards!

I'd go with Fine 6.0

That one big crease right at the center of the spine hurts enough to bring it down from the high Fine range FVF(7.0) imo.

hi.gif

WELCOME TO THE INSANE ASYLUM

I hate to agree with the rest of these jokers, but......................I also think it's a fine 6.0. I have a 5.0 copy of this book and your copy look better than it does. hi.gif