• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OA certification and encapsulation is it coming soon?

48 posts in this topic

I don't think you'll find too many people in support of it for all sorts of reasons including but not limited to:

- the pieces are generally self-authenticating with very few fakes on the market

- you'd feel like a donkey framing and hanging an already encapsulated piece

- IMO any holder they might put together would look ugly and be bulky and expensive due to size.

Add it all up, and you'd be offering an essentially useless service at a high cost to a group of people generally against grading in the first place. Not exactly a winning formula.

Why? Unlike comics you would be able to see everything, also I am not advocating it or that a "grade" be assigned but more that it be certified not to be a forgery (similar to autographs) and protected for long term investment and enjoyment. Just wondering?

I am a newbie to OA but IMHO it would lend itself very nicely to certification and encapsulation similar to coins and cards?

It will never catch on, because the marketplace does not demand that service for art as it does for collectibles. And, trust me, OA collectors want what they collect to be looked at as art and not just another slabbed collectible.

When OA pages were worth a couple hundred bucks, it was hardly worth the effort to forge them.

The more valuable the stuff gets, the more fakes will be created, which could create demand for such a service. Not necessarily a number grade, but a COA.

Most COAs aren't worth the paper they're printed on. To me anyone that asks for a COA is basically telling me they know close to nothing about what it is they're buying. Also, I know some of the top people in other hobbies that give COAs as a service (ancient coins, autographs, etc). The guys who's reputations are beyond reproach. The guys who wrote the most respected and indispensable books on the hobbies. I know for a fact their opinions can be swayed easily and in some cases bought. It's all an elaborate racket to me and I'm happy to see it hasn't taken hold in this hobby.

I spend a lot of money to put a protective casing around my original art. They're called frames.

As for the certification - I do my homework before I buy.

Cert and slab for OA is not something I need or am interested in.

There is already a market for slabbed/authenticated con sketches and sketchbooks and I don't see it going beyond that. An 11x17 plastic slab would be quite the eyesore hanging in your living room.

Can anyone point me to the right direction to see fake published art?

I always thought it is impossible to fake because of the details, and that there is a published piece to compare the cover to.

I have not seen any fakes of published art yet.