• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Use Snipe Software When Bidding on eBay?

Do You Use Snipe Software When Bidding on eBay?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Use Snipe Software When Bidding on eBay?

79 posts in this topic

:news:

Frrom GavelSnipe:

"GavelSnipe has been asked by ComicLink to remove sniping capability for their auctions, and we are complying with their request. Sorry for any inconvenience. We will continue to provide sniping support for other auction sites."

I wonder why Comiclink doesn't want people to bid at the very last second ?

I prefer to snipe so this way I'm the only one that knows how much I'm willing to bid... hm

Given the discussion above, I would think they do not want it as it tends to result in lower prices (since it discourages bidding wars). Conversationally, I think entering snipes also keeps people off the site and would reduce impulse purchases. Sniping favors the buyers. Therefore, it hurts their sellers and ultimately their bottom line through commission.

Frrom GavelSnipe:

"GavelSnipe has been asked by ComicLink to remove sniping capability for their auctions, and we are complying with their request. Sorry for any inconvenience. We will continue to provide sniping support for other auction sites."

I prefer to snipe so this way I'm the only one that knows how much I'm willing to bid... hm

Heritage encourages sniping via their software during live signature auctions. Go figure.

Not to completely contradict my previous post, but sniping makes more sense for Heritage I think. I do not often buy there, but I seem to remember a number of auctions ending through the day when bidders are less available (thus this allows their participation). Comiclink on the other hand seems to always have auctions end during evening hours when the customer is more likely to be home/available :shrug:

Frrom GavelSnipe:

Heritage encourages sniping via their software during live signature auctions. Go figure.

Not to completely contradict my previous post, but sniping makes more sense for Heritage I think. I do not often buy there, but I seem to remember a number of auctions ending through the day when bidders are less available (thus this allows their participation). Comiclink on the other hand seems to always have auctions end during evening hours when the customer is more likely to be home/available :shrug:

That depends which part of the world you're in. :tonofbricks:

Exactly, here in Scandinavia Comiclink auctions normally end at 3 or 4 AM in the morning making it extremely annoying to perform manual snipes. So Comiclink does not prevent sniping for those who wish to do so, Comiclink just makes everything a bit more unpleasant :-)

I guess winning a great book is like Christmas - you have to go through quite a hassle dragging the giant tree through the snow and making the Christmas dinner, but when you get your gifts, you seem to forget the annoying work leading up to this event - at least that is what I have tried getting my dear wife to believe for years, sigh…

Regarding the difficult existential question of successful comic collecting "to snipe or not to snipe?", I do believe that Bidnapper holds the long end of the rope here, although their primary reasons for presenting the following material may be getting new customers: :preach:

http://www.bidnapper.com/proof.php

Do these sniping companies guarantee that your bid will go through? What if I trust them and wait till the list minute to place a bid and it doesn't get done? I have a few bids that I am winning right now in the Sparkle City Ebay auction and I want to make sure I get. The Tec # 100 and the Tec # 118.

Do these sniping companies guarantee that your bid will go through? What if I trust them and wait till the list minute to place a bid and it doesn't get done? I have a few bids that I am winning right now in the Sparkle City Ebay auction and I want to make sure I get. The Tec # 100 and the Tec # 118.

I've never had one that failed to go through with Bidnip.

Well, based on the recommendations from the boardies here I used GavelSnipe for the first time today.

I found it extremely easy to use. I like the fact that it's browser-based and has no resident software on my computer - this means I don't have to have the computer on and the software running in order for the bid to be placed.

I only participated in two auctions, and I lost both (due to being out-bid) so I can't comment any further. I set the buffer to 5 seconds, so I'm curious to see if this is too aggressive since GavelSnipe states that they do not guarantee anything less than 20 seconds. I routinely won auctions at 3 seconds with BayGenie, so hopefully this won't be a problem.

Well, based on the recommendations from the boardies here I used GavelSnipe for the first time today.

I found it extremely easy to use. I like the fact that it's browser-based and has no resident software on my computer - this means I don't have to have the computer on and the software running in order for the bid to be placed.

I only participated in two auctions, and I lost both (due to being out-bid) so I can't comment any further. I set the buffer to 5 seconds, so I'm curious to see if this is too aggressive since GavelSnipe states that they do not guarantee anything less than 20 seconds. I routinely won auctions at 3 seconds with BayGenie, so hopefully this won't be a problem.

Got my first wins with GavelSnipe this weekend.

The 5 second buffer works fine!

I have been using GavelSnipe successfully for the last couple of months.

No problems whatsoever.

Cloud-based, so your computer can be turned off at the time of the auction.

The 5 second buffer works every time.

It's free.

Here is another thread I'm attaching regarding JustSnipe.com:

JustSnipe.com Thread LINK

Update on platforms/services that are being used by board members:

AuctionMagic

Bidnapper

Bidnip

Esnipe

GavelSnipe

Gixen

jbidsniper

JustSnipe

Quicksnipe

From the sound of it, it would seem like i was the last one doing this manually. I feel like such a barney. BUT, now i know better ...

Same here. :screwy:

Yea, I also use good old fashioned human snipe for my auctions.

I seem to be the last person who uses the old fashioned way of entering my maximum bid in advance.

I also usually enter odd amounts as my max bid to frustrate shill bidders and punishment bidders.

I also use GavelSnipe and find it very easy and useful. I use to be a great antagonist of using sniper service, but after loosing of several auctions, because of the sniper bid in the last 4-5 seconds, I have been forced to made my account in GavelSnipe.

In fact I think that this have saved me some money (shrug)

I seem to be the last person who uses the old fashioned way of entering my maximum bid in advance.

I also usually enter odd amounts as my max bid to frustrate shill bidders and punishment bidders.

+1