• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Fantastic Four #1 - CGC 10.0

82 posts in this topic

I just finished posting about ASM 124 and now I see this! Some people are completely nuts... 800 for a modern... that's crazy. Ok I guess that's why these businesses send their new moderns out to CGC hoping for a 10 because it really doesn't matter what the hell the title is if you get a CGC 10 on ANY book it will surely sell well over 600. How pathetic...

you talk about your wasted submission money! makepoint.gif

I bought a 9.8 Ultimate Fantastic Four #1 for 34USD which is reasonable considering the cost to submit a modern to CGC plus shipping. Now this 10.0 which is going for over 800USD with less than an hour to go.... sheesh... anyone want to wager that the fool will pay over 1000 for it? 27_laughing.gif I mean seriously for 800 you can pick up a half decent copy of ASM #1 2.0 or so and that's a far better investment! I think this CGC concept is going too far with prices being grossly exaggerated and inflated because of the 10.0 designation. Somehow it gives a false perception that any book with a 10.0 is rare and should be sought after because of that designation. Meanwhile you can pick up a decent 9.6 or 9.8 for hundreds of dollars less. It just doesn't make sense to me anymore and I've been collecting comic books for over 20 years. It seams to me that the market is becoming a feeding ground for dealers and newcomers of the hobby are just inflating the market with the novelty of just purchasing that *GEM* status book. Where will this lead to? An eventual crash like some people are suggesting? Or simply a new way for dealers to make a quick buck by taking advantage of selling moderns for quadruple the price they are even worth? It's a shame really, older books that are worth their current value are being placed to the same level as books that have hardly been in the market for one month in terms of monetary value! Well we'll see what the future brings, I'm sure something is about to give and when it's all over alot of people will be either rich or dissapointed.

That's a nice turnaround for a $14 investment.

$2 for the comic and $12 to get it slabbed.... gossip.gif

thumbsup2.gif

That's a nice turnaround for a $14 investment.

$2 for the comic and $12 to get it slabbed.... gossip.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Not the same way that I view the situation. To me, it's similar to buying a lottery ticket in that the chance of turning up a 10.0 is probably 1 in an 1000. This means that you probably have to submit a ton of books and spend a lot of money on grading fees in the hopes of getting a perfect 10.0. 99.9% of the submitters or submissions will end up on the losing end after you take grading fees, cost of the book, listing fees, and the labour time involved with shipping and handling into consideration.

The only people that 's making a nice turnaround on a consistent basis on this so-called investment (ie. gamble) is CGC. makepoint.gif

Somehow it gives a false perception that any book with a 10.0 is rare and should be sought after because of that designation.

Why are you sure the perception is false? Do you think the types of books CGC gives 10.0s to aren't rare?

Somehow it gives a false perception that any book with a 10.0 is rare and should be sought after because of that designation.

Why are you sure the perception is false? Do you think the types of books CGC gives 10.0s to aren't rare?

What do you think the over/under is on grading with three different graders on any given day?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I am just stating that giving a 10.0 on a modern obviously grossely exaggerates the value of that particular comic book. A modern book, any modern book is obviously NOT rare and is in abundance. Give a 10.0 on a Bronze, Silver or Golden age book now there is reason for those books to go up in value because they've been around much longer, among other reasons. My main point is moderns that are graded 10.0 are being sold at rediculous prices and those prices are unwarrented.

What do you think the over/under is on grading with three different graders on any given day?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif