• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edgar Church movie project?

36 posts in this topic

Interesting. Never seen this before

I just hope the producer/director can obtain the services of a wiry looking actor who acts more like Chuck. The nondescript actor with short hair just doesn't sell it. Chuck was always more of a hippie dude with a WTF attitude (even before the current Tattoo Me artsy-fartsy period Chuck). Heck, I knew him back when he was bummin' rides to get to cons. :grin:

large_chuck2%5B1%5D.gif

Above: Chuck with the Church collection (circa the late 1970's). Image source: The Oregonian (article below)...

http://blog.oregonlive.com/steveduin/2007/03/edgar_church_and_chuck_rozansk.html

21st Century Chucksoid Man today (NYCC 2011)...

IMG_0623.jpg

Interesting. Never seen this before

I just hope the producer/director can obtain the services of a wiry looking actor who acts more like Chuck. The nondescript actor with short hair just doesn't sell it. Chuck was always more of a hippie dude with a WTF attitude (even before the current Tattoo Me artsy-fartsy period Chuck). Heck, I knew him back when he was bummin' rides to get to cons. :grin:

large_chuck2%5B1%5D.gif

Above: Chuck with the Church collection (circa the late 1970's). Image source: The Oregonian (article below)...

http://blog.oregonlive.com/steveduin/2007/03/edgar_church_and_chuck_rozansk.html

21st Century Chucksoid Man today (NYCC 2011)...

IMG_0623.jpg

How about Jason Momo? Pretty accurate depiction, don't you think... :insane:

119247.jpg.0c66abca2d9e00a7cdfaf36779fb8150.jpg

This is cool but I don't see this having much of a broad audience appeal. The story is great if you collect Golden Age comics but beyond that what is the hook to get someone to put money into a project like this.

Yep.

This is cool but I don't see this having much of a broad audience appeal. The story is great if you collect Golden Age comics but beyond that what is the hook to get someone to put money into a project like this.

Yep.

I saw your name in the credits Jeff, what did you contribute?

Yep.

I saw your name in the credits Jeff, what did you contribute?

Really? They probably lifted most of the stills from my website.

I've been talking to David Johnson, the person behind this project, at length over the past couple weeks about this concern and others raised in the original thread.

Basically, the discovery of the collection is used as a lens to examine how comic fan culture came of age during that period (and of course, it IS an interesting period in that regard -- Overstreet, CBG, Comics Journal, SDCC, etc, etc all get their start in early to mid 70s).

Johnson is not what most of us here would call a hardcore collector, but the point he made to me about that is that it will help give him the perspective required to develop that hook for mainstream viewers.

He's put a lot of work into developing this, and I'll have an extensive writeup on the project posted in a couple days.

It just seems to lend itself more to a documentary.

I was thinking sci-fi CGI action thriller. hm

I've been pretty curious about this project, so I discussed it with the man behind it, and asked him to address many of the things that have come up about it on this forum.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/22/edgars-comics-how-artists-comic-collection-changed-comics-culture-became-worth-50-million-process-kickstarter-film/

I've been pretty curious about this project, so I discussed it with the man behind it, and asked him to address many of the things that have come up about it on this forum.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/22/edgars-comics-how-artists-comic-collection-changed-comics-culture-became-worth-50-million-process-kickstarter-film/

Interesting article and interview. (thumbs u

Thanks!

One thing that I'd forgotten prior to researching this a bit is John Snyder's career in the Commerce Dept. Given that combination of politics and economics, (and the fact that his name is John K. Snyder Jr), it makes me darn curious if he is the son of or otherwise related to John W. Snyder who was Truman's Secretary of the Treasury.

Thanks!

One thing that I'd forgotten prior to researching this a bit is John Snyder's career in the Commerce Dept. Given that combination of politics and economics, (and the fact that his name is John K. Snyder Jr), it makes me darn curious if he is the son of or otherwise related to John W. Snyder who was Truman's Secretary of the Treasury.

I would be interested where Mr. Johnson gets his info that Richard, Doris and the realtor were the only ones at the transaction when he hasn't talked to Chuck. Also I have heard for years about the lawsuit against Rosanski, but when I talked with numerous people in Denver about the lawsuit, approximately 10 years ago nothing turned up in the court records.

Also I have heard for years about the lawsuit against Rosanski, but when I talked with numerous people in Denver about the lawsuit, approximately 10 years ago nothing turned up in the court records.

Interesting. I'll try to follow up on this after the holidays on his sources for this.

edited to add: Rozanski's TFTDB where he says "After that last trip to the house, I never heard from them again." would certainly seem to imply that he's saying that didn't happen. I will see what Johnson may know about the matter.