• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cheetah and His Everything Journal

1,085 posts in this topic

Is it worth $4000 to buy the Mile High Copy from Metro?

It has sat on their website for a very long time. It used to be half the price but they raised it when Nedors got to be very hot. For a price like that, it is only worth it if it means something special to you. I doubt it will ever go up very much in value from where it is.

Exciting 31 - two copies of this. It is a good example of where the lower grade copy is superior to the higher one. While the edges are rougher, the 8.0 is very white.

Exciting3180.jpg

Exciting3192.jpg

That's a killer Black Terror image. :headbang:

Do you have a preference for one part of the exciting run over the others?

Exciting 29

Exciting29-1.jpg

You know, that's a tough question. When I first started on GA books, it was the airbrush covers that attracted me and they still do. They are some of the true iconic images I think of when I think of the golden age. But right now, I think I like the early sci-fi covers the most. I like their primitive nature. They aren't reflections of established memes for aliens, weapons or futuristic settings. These weren't the elaborate painted covers of the pulps. They reflect a time when science fiction comics were in their infancy and there was nothing reflected but the artist's imagination.

You know, that's a tough question. When I first started on GA books, it was the airbrush covers that attracted me and they still do. They are some of the true iconic images I think of when I think of the golden age. But right now, I think I like the early sci-fi covers the most. I like their primitive nature. They aren't reflections of established memes for aliens, weapons or futuristic settings. These weren't the elaborate painted covers of the pulps. They reflect a time when science fiction comics were in their infancy and there was nothing reflected but the artist's imagination.

I think you and CentaurMan have similar tastes as I believe he's posted a couple of the Church copies of the early sci-fis.

There's not a dud in the run, which twists and turns through genres and history. It starts with sci-fi, then early more-simplified Schomburg jungle covers, Wexler Black Terror covers, then Scomburg BT WWII covers, Schomburg BT post-WWII covers, Schomburg airbrush covers and finally Schomburg Western covers.

I find something to like in each of these eras, including the Wexler BTs, which I found to be surprisingly powerful covers, especially the #9. The Church copy of that issue is astounding.