• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Careful with your holiday packages or you'll get $%&! like me by the Post Office

29 posts in this topic

I had the same thing happen a few months ago with 2 CGC books I bought from a forum member. Was in 2 priority boxes and the hole went through both boxes. Thankfully only the tops of the slabs were cracked and the books were fine.

I got them reholdered (thanks to the forum member) and all is fine but some times these workers clearly don't care how they treat a package.

Sorry to hear about the damage. :(

It isn't always the workers. There's a lot of automation at the PO. If something

gets caught in the machinery or a heavy package drops onto a fragile package

damage can happen.

That stinks. I hate Priority boxes and envelopes. Every single package I received in a PM mailer was mangled in some fashion. Luckily, most of the content has survived but I try to avoid sellers that use PM packing supplies. Regular brown box packages seem to arrive unharmed. It makes me wonder if the post office workers hate priority mail.

I actually find just the opposite in my experience. Almost every package I've received in a Priority box has arrived undamaged, while the ones in plain (or re-used) boxes are usually the ones that are mangled (or at least worse for wear). In fact I don't ever remember a Priority box being damaged upon receipt. All that being said, I've only had a couple mangled boxes make their way to me in several years, so my overall track record is pretty good. I've only ever had one box sent out that arrived damaged (that I was made aware of).

Just goes to show that you never know.

I had the same thing happen a few months ago with 2 CGC books I bought from a forum member. Was in 2 priority boxes and the hole went through both boxes. Thankfully only the tops of the slabs were cracked and the books were fine.

I got them reholdered (thanks to the forum member) and all is fine but some times these workers clearly don't care how they treat a package.

Sorry to hear about the damage. :(

It isn't always the workers. There's a lot of automation at the PO. If something

gets caught in the machinery or a heavy package drops onto a fragile package

damage can happen.

Yup, heavy volume, overtime shifts, busiest season of the year, surrounding packages.

Stuffs gonna happen.

That stinks. I hate Priority boxes and envelopes. Every single package I received in a PM mailer was mangled in some fashion. Luckily, most of the content has survived but I try to avoid sellers that use PM packing supplies. Regular brown box packages seem to arrive unharmed. It makes me wonder if the post office workers hate priority mail.

I actually find just the opposite in my experience. Almost every package I've received in a Priority box has arrived undamaged, while the ones in plain (or re-used) boxes are usually the ones that are mangled (or at least worse for wear). In fact I don't ever remember a Priority box being damaged upon receipt. All that being said, I've only had a couple mangled boxes make their way to me in several years, so my overall track record is pretty good. I've only ever had one box sent out that arrived damaged (that I was made aware of).

Just goes to show that you never know.

Quite a few of the priority boxes I get are beat to crud, and I've seen several puncture marks like this. The only boxes I've never seen damaged are the small ones JScomics from eBay uses. I wonder if they're too small to fit in the threshing machines, or what. You'd actually expect damage, since the boxes are so small, with little tolerance. But I've received about 100 of these over the past several years, and they always roll in pristine.

As someone mentioned earlier, if I was shipping expensive prints or original art, I would consider masonite, or expect damage.

Also, the nice thing about Original Art is that resto is not frowned upon like it is in regular comics.

For now. I remember when resto wasn't frowned upon with comics. Personally, I don't want to buy any art with resto. Art is "one of a kind" but there are a ton of similar pieces out there.

Also, the nice thing about Original Art is that resto is not frowned upon like it is in regular comics.

For now. I remember when resto wasn't frowned upon with comics. Personally, I don't want to buy any art with resto. Art is "one of a kind" but there are a ton of similar pieces out there.

I personally don't think resto will ever be frowned upon with art.

With comics, you can always find another copy. With art, you can't. One and done.

I could be wrong about that but the way I see it Original Art is like fine art in that restoration is often necessary to preserve the piece.

That's why I always ship with the art between gator board or two sheets of foamboard. I know the arguments against using a stiff substrate, but if something is going to stress the package enough to snap a 1/4 inch sheet of gator, it's going to damage the art anyway.

Sorry to hear about the damage!!

I have a comic delivered recently by our local postie and he left it outside - that would not be too bad, but it was raining - DO THESE PEOPLE THINK? No!!! Luckily the comic was securely packaged - double bagged do fine, but that's not the point. :frustrated:

Oh well!!!

Trying the pressing to see if it at least flattens the puncture a bit. Not going to totally make it hard to notice since the actual puncture is a gag-inducing 2" all-around.

I've never restored art or comics, but there's no specific type of restoration tape that can be used on the back that won't cause future staining/issues?