• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st appearance of The Maxx
3 3

464 posts in this topic

:grin: I didn't know all that evil intent was there! You should have just wrote, "Nah, I'm good." and then not answered my PM's for a week.

Even if I were in the business of screwing Boardies, you would be pretty low on my list.

My brother would have said - "Do your own comic deal, stinker." All comic collectors are "stinkers" now after helping me set up at a show in the late 80's and enjoying the fragrance of some of the attendees. :P

Grails, did you get that one from Brian? If so, that's exactly two of the ten known to be in circulation/still exist, and based on quite a bit of discussion between the guy who seems to have lucked into the bulk of these, I don't think that a full ten are still around. More than the two we've seen, sure, but who can really say? Let's just gently say that $300 would be below what these have moved at in the past (and despite my current financial state, I would BIN now for $300). I understand that random test prints aren't for everyone, but it's a supremely scarce book with a cult following. And I love it.

Yes, I picked up both a red and blue from him. I could be wrong but I thought he had another.

Charlie,

Can I tell the story about the 1/2? I don't think I've ever told it on the Boards and it is frickin' hilarious.

Absolutely, though I'm not sure what story...

are you talking about when my brother sent you the wrong book?

Yes, exactly. So, Charlie and I did a deal for some Kieth books and some other stuff. I sent him his book to a domestic address, as he was in Kanduhar or somewhere else really dangerous and scary. He said his brother would be handling his end of the transaction. I was to get two books for my end of the deal - an Aliens book and a Maxx #1 SS.

When I opened the box, the Maxx book was one of the prototype 1/2 issues instead of a plain old garden variety #1. I was flabbergasted. I took a couple of pictures for posterity's sake, and PM'd Charlie, saying something like, "I thought we had a deal for #1 but it is fine with me if I keep this old 1/2 instead." :devil:

As cool as a cucumber, and not giving me the freaked out rise that I was hoping for, Charlie very nicely replied, "Oh, I think my brother may have made a mistake, can you send it back and he will get you the correct book." I fought my evil instincts to keep trying to get that rise out of him by saying "Nah, I'll just keep this one." But we had done enough deals that I think Charlie was pretty sure I would do the right thing no matter what I typed. I could not have been more scared shipping that 1/2 book back. I think I insured it for $500, but knew it was irreplaceable. Was very glad to hear when it arrived back safely.

It was awesome to have that book in my possession, however temporarily. :)

:popcorn:

:grin: I didn't know all that evil intent was there! You should have just wrote, "Nah, I'm good." and then not answered my PM's for a week.

Even if I were in the business of screwing Boardies, you would be pretty low on my list.

You make yourself sound so noble. I think you were just scared of Charlie kicking your tuccus.

You make yourself sound so noble. I think you were just scared of Charlie kicking your tuccus.

Both of these made me lol

Can someone please enlighten me about the production runs of the Black and White - and the Gold versions? Also, are they 1:xxx type variant, retailer versions or something else?

Thanks,

Eggman

Darker Image #1 CGC 9.8 SS is currently up to $312 with 12 bids. Very cool book. It's actually beating the Maxx 1/2 Redd that I posted a couple of days ago. (thumbs u
I thought both books went pretty cheap. (shrug)

I bid on the B&W up to $300 and I already have one. I figured once I got knocked out that it would have had some pretty aggressive snipes, but it never moved again. You just never know. Someone got a tasty deal, methinks.

Darker Image #1 CGC 9.8 SS is currently up to $312 with 12 bids. Very cool book. It's actually beating the Maxx 1/2 Redd that I posted a couple of days ago. (thumbs u
I thought both books went pretty cheap. (shrug)

I bid on the B&W up to $300 and I already have one. I figured once I got knocked out that it would have had some pretty aggressive snipes, but it never moved again. You just never know. Someone got a tasty deal, methinks.

:slapfight:

Can someone please enlighten me about the production runs of the Black and White - and the Gold versions? Also, are they 1:xxx type variant, retailer versions or something else?

Thanks,

Eggman

Black and White less than Gold. Consider thine self enlightened...you're welcome :foryou: