• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st appearance of The Maxx
3 3

464 posts in this topic

So the only thing we've determine thus far is that Darker Image #1 is indeed the 1st appearance of The Maxx as said by the creator Sam Keith on his website? That CGC will now label all Dark Image #1 from this point on with the "1st appearance" title on the label. And that the books we know to exsist are:

Darker Image #1 Ashcan (different colors or just the red one?)

Darker Image #1

Darker Image #1 Gold

Darker Image #1 Platinum

There's no DI #1 Platinum - it's the DI #1 Black & White - and there's only one version of the ashcan.

:( Im so with sean on the b&w Vs Platinum. Platinum sounds so much more exciting.

I guess the nomenclature really depends on which one is rarer. If it is finally determined that the "Black & White" version is rarer than the "Gold" version than the "Platinum" title works...if not, the Black & White makes more sense.

:slapfight:

So the only thing we've determine thus far is that Darker Image #1 is indeed the 1st appearance of The Maxx as said by the creator Sam Keith on his website? That CGC will now label all Dark Image #1 from this point on with the "1st appearance" title on the label. And that the books we know to exsist are:

Darker Image #1

Darker Image #1 Gold

Darker Image #1 Platinum

There's no DI #1 Platinum - it's the DI #1 Black & White - and there's only one version of the ashcan.

:( Im so with sean on the b&w Vs Platinum. Platinum sounds so much more exciting.

B&W ain't ballerific enough for you, eh?

The fact that CGC uses the B&W nomenclature is probably reason enough to go with that. I'd like to apologize to the Internet for ever calling it the "Platinum" version in the 1st place. You are all now stupider because of me. :acclaim:

Darker Image #1

Darker Image #1 Gold

Darker Image #1 Platinum

I guess the nomenclature really depends on which one is rarer. If it is finally determined that the "Black & White" version is rarer than the "Gold" version than the "Platinum" title works...if not, the Black & White makes more sense.

I love that emoticon

The fact that CGC uses the B&W nomenclature is probably reason enough to go with that. I'd like to apologize to the Internet for ever calling it the "Platinum" version in the 1st place. You are all now stupider because of me. :acclaim:

Somewhere a boardie just soiled himself, losing the only brain function that worked properly before joining. Well done Sean. :facepalm:

Somewhere a boardie just soiled himself, losing the only brain function that worked properly before joining. Well done Sean. :facepalm:

It's why I always double up on the undies. Preparedness is key.

hm

I'd REALLY like to see some production numbers on the

Regular Edition

Gold Variant

Black & White Variant

Ashcan

Why is this information always so difficult to track down?

I googled the hell out of it and came up dry.

The regular #1 had CapCity orders of 250k+, so the actual print run is bound to be a lot higher than that.

I have seen longboxes full of the regular editions. I wouldn't be surprised if it were double that or more.

CapCity in 1993 was roughly 15%-25% of the market.

250K for CapCity would be a print run around 1Million to 1.7Million.

Gold and Black & White were probably at least 10,000 if not at least 20,000, which was pretty standard for Image.

Image ashcans were their own story.

hm

I'd REALLY like to see some production numbers on the

Regular Edition

Gold Variant

Black & White Variant

Ashcan

Why is this information always so difficult to track down?

I googled the hell out of it and came up dry.

The regular #1 had CapCity orders of 250k+, so the actual print run is bound to be a lot higher than that.

I have seen longboxes full of the regular editions. I wouldn't be surprised if it were double that or more.

CapCity in 1993 was roughly 15%-25% of the market.

250K for CapCity would be a print run around 1Million to 1.7Million.

:acclaim:

Thanks for having my back.

More evidence that the print run was between 1Million and 1.7Million:

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/1993.html

Darker Image is between Deathmate Prologue (1,000,000) and Turok #1 (1,750,000).

I wonder how many trees it takes to print a milion comics...and a million cards :grin:

Thanks for having my back.

What are you talking about? I did it for you. I can't have nice kids like you following me off the cliff!!!

Just say no to calling it Platinum. Only you can prevent the stupidifcation of the Interwebs.

Darker Image is between Deathmate Prologue (1,000,000) and Turok #1 (1,750,000).

I wonder how many trees it takes to print a milion comics...and a million cards :grin:

I also wonder how many of those million copies were bought by readers or speculators?

I am shocked at those sales back then because now if a comic sells 50,000 it`s considered a hit.

Wow. The first Marvel book listed for that month is #14!

Valiant and Image were new for their generation. I remember the lcs telling me how dead DC Comics were compared to Valiant,Marvel and Image in that time period.

:facepalm:

Maybe for HIS store.

But as the sample here shows DC still was #2 at the time (though Image gave them a good race) and DC had the top 5 selling books (and 6 of the top 7) for the year. Looking back its easy to remember it as what he said because Wizard's hype was almost all Marvel, Image and Valiant.

This is interesting. I think that it was established (on the ValiantFans board) that Deathmate Golds were 2 per 100 copies.

The Standard Guide lists the Darker Image #1 Black and White variant as 1/LE (Limited Edition) which would seem to indicate that it is rarer than the Gold.

So if we take the lower number of 1,000,000 and use the same ratio as the Deathmate book (Valiant and Image colluding)... That could mean there are at least 20,000 Darker Image Golds out there. If the LE was more limited (like say 1 out of 100), there could be at least 10,000 copies out there.

This is interesting. I think that it was established (on the ValiantFans board) that Deathmate Golds were 2 per 100 copies.

The Standard Guide lists the Darker Image #1 Black and White variant as 1/LE (Limited Edition) which would seem to indicate that it is rarer than the Gold.

So if we take the lower number of 1,000,000 and use the same ratio as the Deathmate book (Valiant and Image colluding)... That could mean there are at least 20,000 Darker Image Golds out there. If the LE was more limited (like say 1 out of 100), there could be at least 10,000 copies out there.

Sounds familiar... hm

Gold and Black & White were probably at least 10,000 if not at least 20,000, which was pretty standard for Image.

:grin: