• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM The Human Torch #2 (#1)

29 posts in this topic

Please and thanks in advance for your thoughts on grade for this. I am especially interested in your thoughts regarding evidence of restoration. hm

Edit: I reloaded larger images to help with grade assessments. I was told that this should be at least a Fine+ (6.5) but based on the first couple of opinions I am starting to feel disappointed :cry:

(I find grading in the VG - FN range a bit tricky with these vintage books)

THT2F001-1.jpg

THT2B001-1.jpg

Nice :applause:

What's going on at the top of the spine? Split?

Depending on the spine anywhere from 4.0 to 5.0.

I don't see any obvious CT, but you should check the spine for tear seals.

Thanks,

That is just the cover wrap at the top. The spine is good and not split. I was actually concerned that the bottom FC edge had been trimmed but can't tell.

If you don't mind my asking, what is the main thing leading you all to grade this book in the 4.5-5.0 range? I mean the cover looks great, very good gloss, edges are very good with barely any chipping. The corners are pretty good other than that FC lower right crease, and the spine is not bad overall (worse on back than front) but stapes are intact and don't really show any rust.

So I am just wondering what my limited grading experience is missing that is pushing this book lower than I obviously expect.

Please and thanks for your opinions.

My guess would be the spine on the backside, along with the spine corners which look like they've got a little missing from them. And I'm not sure how they'd grade the ink splat on the back cover. I would say 5.5, maybe higher in hand?

Maybe the spine doesn't look so rough when you're looking at it - and the scanner really brings attention to it...

Most times people are harsher on this grading forum. It may come back from CGC higher.

I am hoping, and that is not necessarily a bad thing to be grade conservative, especially when you are only looking at images (that is what I do when judging raw purchase potentials by image only).

IMO the biggest condition issue would be the back spine with the dirt really highlighting all the spine stress. But the front spine has less stress creases than many silver age 8.0s that I have.

Problem is that I paid the value of a 6.5-7.0 and a several grade drop from this range hurts a lot. I trust the seller's grading opinion, but after looking at the scan emphasized back cover I am second guessing.

This is why I tell myself not to buy expensive RAW books. I'm not a grade gambler and stress and second guessing is not for me.

Thanks

Nice :applause:

What's going on at the top of the spine? Split?

Depending on the spine anywhere from 4.0 to 5.0.

I don't see any obvious CT, but you should check the spine for tear seals.

Thanks,

That is just the cover wrap at the top. The spine is good and not split. I was actually concerned that the bottom FC edge had been trimmed but can't tell.

In that case, I'd say 5.0. The things that bring the grade down for me are the lower right front crease, the color loss along the spine, the front and back cover stamps, and all the creasing at the spine on the back cover.

If you don't mind my asking, what is the main thing leading you all to grade this book in the 4.5-5.0 range? I mean the cover looks great, very good gloss, edges are very good with barely any chipping. The corners are pretty good other than that FC lower right crease, and the spine is not bad overall (worse on back than front) but stapes are intact and don't really show any rust.

So I am just wondering what my limited grading experience is missing that is pushing this book lower than I obviously expect.

Please and thanks for your opinions.

Mostly spine wear most noticeable along the back cover were there is soiling too.

Even without the vertical spine crease, the amount of edge and corner wear along with horizontal spine creases and wear at the staples would likely drop the grade to 6.0 at best , and probably more like a 5.0/5.5. The problem with color breaking vertical creases like that is they indicate a weakening of the paper that could result in serious splitting down the line. I would hesitate to go beyond 4.5.

I'd say the seller is/was a a pretty loose grader.

Still a nice solid copy sir. Chances are you would have been paying over guide for it no matter what.

You just don't find them too easily anymore. Kinda like those Zoot's that always go for way over guide... or Phantom Lady # 17. You still have a classic book on your hands.