• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Resources Top 100

17 posts in this topic

This list includes more non super hero books.

100-76

#75-51

#50-26

#25-11

#10-01

My picks from the list:

89. The Cape

84. The Walking Dead

77. Sweet Tooth

75. A Tale of Sand

69. Locke & Key

56. Witch Doctor

47.Severed

46.Green Wake

33.Morning Glories

28.Sixth Gun

26.Chew

21. Butcher Baker The Righteous Maker

16. Green River Killer A True Detective Story

10. Batwoman

Okay, I'm bored and I thought the final list would be today but it isn't, so I'll go through what's listed so far and give my thoughts.

Comics on the list I read and like

84. The Walking Dead

54. American Vampire

Really, that's it? It really is, although I think I should add

72. Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Season 9 - I did read the Buffy Omnibus this year, enjoyed it somewhat, don't think I'll read any more Buffy though.

69. Locke & Key - I read the first two arcs and enjoyed them. The first series is one of the things that drew me back into comics. I should keep up with the series but I don't.

56. Witch Doctor - Read the preview, didn't grab me.

43. Graphic Classics - Read the FCBD issue, loved it. Didn't know it was ongoing. Will likely pick a few up now

39. Criminal: Last of the Innocents - Read the first series and enjoyed it. Also didn't know it was still ongoing. Might look into catching up in trade.

33. Morning Glories - I was on board at first but after about five issues dropped it.

Okay, looking at the list, these are the series I had not heard of and am now interested in. Asterisks will accompany titles I am guaranteed to check out now.

100. Paying For It

94. Robert E. Howard's Savage Sword

93. Loose Ends*

89. The Cape

86. Prison Pit*

79. The Unwritten*

78. The Wolf

75. A Tale of Sand

70. Love From The Shadows*

67. Wolves

66. Who Is Jake Ellis?

57. Any Empire*

48. Ganges #4

47. Severed*

46. Green Wake

45. B.P.R.D.

25. Petrograd

16. Green River Killer A True Detective Story*

A few of the other indies looked promising but I'll most likely never read them. Looks like I have seven new titles to check out ASAP and a handful more to keep in mind :)

I've said this before, the new 52 is better than it is given credit for here on these boards. I'm not counting it a success just yet as far as attracting new readers to DC (which I would have count myself as "new" to DC) but for me, it has been a success. I've had the pleasure of reading some great books that I now look forward too each month.

I'm glad I shelved my cynicism back in September and took a chance.

All of those who turned up their nose at the chance are missing out.

Okay, the top ten are listed.

I haven't read a single one but I do own a copy of 4. Love & Rockets New Stories 4 (Mine is signed :cloud9:). I peeked in it and decided I don't want to read it until I am caught up on L&R.

Comics I am interested in are

7. Scalped*

I have been wanting to check it out for a while, and with my new focus in comics I see it happening early in 2012. I am loving Vertigo HC's.

5. Habibi

I have seen this mentioned as an amazing read a while back and it looked intriguing. Blankets also got a lot of good feedback so I suspect it's good stuff. Not guaranteed I'll pick it up though, depends entirely on how cheap I can score a copy

3. Hark! A Vagrant*

I have seen this plugged by a ton of people who don't read comics on my Facebook friends list. I already have it bookmarked but I keep stumbling upon more webcomics that occupy my time. After reading through Our Valued Customers, Hyperbole And A Half, Comic Critics, and Hipsters in their entirety, I see this one occupying my time in the near future.

Okay, the top ten are listed.

I haven't read a single one but I do own a copy of 4. Love & Rockets New Stories 4 (Mine is signed :cloud9:). I peeked in it and decided I don't want to read it until I am caught up on L&R.

Comics I am interested in are

7. Scalped*

I have been wanting to check it out for a while, and with my new focus in comics I see it happening early in 2012. I am loving Vertigo HC's.

5. Habibi

I have seen this mentioned as an amazing read a while back and it looked intriguing. Blankets also got a lot of good feedback so I suspect it's good stuff. Not guaranteed I'll pick it up though, depends entirely on how cheap I can score a copy

3. Hark! A Vagrant*

I have seen this plugged by a ton of people who don't read comics on my Facebook friends list. I already have it bookmarked but I keep stumbling upon more webcomics that occupy my time. After reading through Our Valued Customers, Hyperbole And A Half, Comic Critics, and Hipsters in their entirety, I see this one occupying my time in the near future.

I'm slowly working on writing a review on Habibi and it's a very interesting and ambitious book. There are some problematic elements to it, but all in all, I think the comics scene is far better for having this book than not. It will certainly make you think too, regardless of whether or not you agree with some of the ideas (or methods used to present those ideas) Thompson incorporates into this piece. Definitely a solid, worthwhile read.

The nice thing about DD is that these are stories about DD and his powers. As great as Bendis's run was, you could have plugged just about any super hero into those stories and not changed hardly a thing, his superpowers became nearly irrelevant.

Mark Waid is writing DD in a way that could only be DD stories, i've probably seen that Billy club more in the first seven issues of Waid's run than in all of Bendis's. Reminds me of Miller in a way, he would have DD bounce that thing off like 20 things, usually a thug or two along the way, and DD would catch it on the fly as he was punching out some poor crook. I also like how Waid is using the lawyer aspect as a springboard for many of DD's adventures and conflicts. Another nice thing is Matt has developed a sense of humor with Waid's writing. Definitely gives DD a little more character.