• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curator FF's!

465 posts in this topic

Looks like the Curator FFs #2-up have finally been slabbed and are being released into the market. It'll be interesting to finally see how good this mythical run really is.

Between the Curators and the Northstars, this is the greatest set of FFs to come up for auction ever. All we need is a 9.4 or 9.6 #1 to be in the auction.

There are quite a few 09160180XX submissions showing up without a pedigree designation that are amazing copies. All the Curators posted so far have 09160190XX serial numbers, indicating they were sequential submissions.

Here's another ridiculous book: http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7054&lotIdNo=91020#Photo

I think there's a good chance the North Stars and Curators are one and the same. The consignor's name was accidentally listed on a sticker of one of the back cover scans. I pointed it out to Heritage and they replaced the scan. I was hoping to keep that quiet, but alas...

The collector may have had duplicates of some issues, but I'd bet most of the North Star FFs are Curators.

I wonder if they are Curators without pedigree proof?

That would be strange, since the commonly heard story is that the entire Curator FF run (except for #1) was all owned by a well known comic artist, so whatever evidence he had that any of his books were Curators should apply to all of his books. And Hauser should be able to vouch for whichever books he's claiming to be Curators.

Two possibilities (many other possibilities exist too):

1. The artist had actually broken up some of the Curator run previously, and it's the buyer who is now consigning the Northstar and Curator FFs.

2. Heritage wanted to put up the best FF run in history and assembled the Northstar and Curator FFs from separate sources but then submitted them together in its name, thus explaining the sequential numbers.

(shrug)

I think there's a good chance the North Stars and Curators are one and the same. The consignor's name was accidentally listed on a sticker of one of the back cover scans. I pointed it out to Heritage and they replaced the scan. I was hoping to keep that quiet, but alas...

The collector may have had duplicates of some issues, but I'd bet most of the North Star FFs are Curators.

It's a real shame if they aren't being noted on the labels as such. Once the winning bidders get ahold of them, press and resubmit some of the ones that aren't ridiculous 9.8s already, their association with the collection will begin to disappear.

That would actually explain the fabulous quality of the North Stars, but I'd be really curious why the non-pedigreed books couldn't be verified as Curators, since they should be able to get verification from either Hauser or the artist who bought the run.

Since SA collectors pay a premium for Curators (although not sure how much additional premium these books can command, given their already uber-high grades), I would have thought it'd be worth either Heritage's or the consignor's while to go the extra mile to get whatever was a Curator to be designated as a Curator by CGC.

It's a real shame if they aren't being noted on the labels as such. Once the winning bidders get ahold of them, press and resubmit some (the ones that aren't ridiculous 9.8s already), their association with the collection will begin to disappear.

I've got a feeling that will change now. I wouldn't be surprised if the books all get re-holdered with Curator designation.

I think the collector wanted to keep it quiet that he was selling. Or it's possible that it wasn't initially communicated that these were the Curator books.

Absolutely, Tim. If those "North Star" books are indeed part of the Curator collection, then people need to talk...

If not, though, then we are indeed seeing a modern 'perfect storm' for HG Fantastic Four books in this upcoming February auction. I am dizzy...

Dan

It's a real shame if they aren't being noted on the labels as such. Once the winning bidders get ahold of them, press and resubmit some (the ones that aren't ridiculous 9.8s already), their association with the collection will begin to disappear.

I've got a feeling that will change now. I wouldn't be surprised if the books all get re-holdered with Curator designation.

:wishluck:

I also saw the book with a sticker with the name of a well known comic artist on the back of an FF slab that lacked the Curator designation. Quite likely, the 091601 and 107251 serial numbered books are the Curator FF run. Cool.

I also saw the book with a sticker with the name of a well known comic artist on the back of an FF slab that lacked the Curator designation. Quite likely, the 091601 and 107251 serial numbered books are the Curator FF run. Cool.

does this mean....THE WHEELS ARE IN MOTION??

I think there's a good chance most of the FFs are the Curators. But at least a couple books, like the FF #26 for example, show signs that they're probably not Curator books.

I would guess that the artist/collector got books from various sources over the years.

I think there's a good chance most of the FFs are the Curators. But at least a couple books, like the FF #26 for example, show signs that they're probably not Curator books.

I would guess that the artist/collector got books from various sources over the years.

There's an FF #26 in 9.4 with the Curator designation on the label and the 091601 serial number. I think the FF #26 in 9.6 is from a different collection.

There's an FF #26 in 9.4 with the Curator designation on the label and the 091601 serial number.

That makes sense to me. The right edge of the 9.6 looked a little toasty to my eyes. And I've never seen a Curator with any tanning like that.

Only Heritage knows for sure, but the 9.4 has a different serial number than the North Star- and Curator-designated issues, and the back cover doesn't appear as white. The Curator 7.5 is gorgeous, but suffers from chipping.