• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Personal Comic Book Acquisitions of 2011!

131 posts in this topic

Hey Gang, :hi:

I think I did this same thread last year so I might as well do it this year because I haven't seen this thread post yet.

Show the comic board community your Top 1-3 Comic Book purchases for your collection for the year ending 2011!

(Post only personal books, and not books you have sold or dealer profit books, etc...)

Maybe a little background of each book in relation to why is was your top priority of comic book purchases in 2011.

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year.

SOT

#1 Courtesy of Bobby Storms (Blazing Bob) at WW Chicago:

My grade range and budget was around 7.0/7.5. What made this copy stand out was the extremely white front cover and page quality. As we all know this issue is notorious for CROW. I am very happy to have this book finally in my personal collection.

003-1-1.jpg

#2 Courtesy of Bobby Storms (Blazing Bob) at SD Comic Con 2011:

This book is kinda funny because I found the book raw, got it graded, sold it to Bob in NJ, and then couldn't stop looking at it again at the San Diego Comic Book show. The book is definitely a 9.0, but really has the appearance of an 9.6, and with me being a huge Spider-man fan I just bought it back. The book is simply stunning to look at with the bright cover. Thanks for the cash advance Bobby. lol

002-1-1.jpg

#3 Courtesy of a really nice seller on eBay of all places:

Some people love this book, and some non-Spider-man fans hate this book. I freakin love it. I grew up always wanting to own this book, and I remember being 17 at the local Philly Con almost buying a low-grade copy for $400.00. That money was supposed to go to my college books for fist semester, so it took all of my strength not to buy it. :cry: So this book was very nostaglic to my child hood working at the local comic book store for all those years. Finally into my personal ASM collection it goes.

001-1-1.jpg

1. Courtesy of New Force Comics/ Rick Whitelock

My grade range was 4.0-5.0 Rick found this book for me in 4.5 OW/W,the average PQ is cream/OW.

Show2245.jpg

2.Courtesy of Resurrection/Pat

I wanted to find a AV 4 in 4.0-5.0 and Pat had one handy.

KGrHqIOKiwE4qGshn4BOVsDtPKkQ60_3.jpg

3.Courtesy of Blazing Bob Storms

Batman 234

lf1-1.jpg

zeroing in on Showcase 4...

showcase-8.jpg

My collecting moved to sketches/OA and away from comics this year so...

sienkiewicz-flash-cover.jpg

sienkiewicz.jpg

After tons of waiting (18 months? who can remember?), I finally got this bad boy form Bill Sienkiewicz. I asked him for a pic of Flash & Mirror Master, and because he felt guilty about the wait, he went the extra couple miles and cranked out this sweet recreation of the cover to The Flash 119.

I don't really have a 3rd (there's tons of contenders), but I had a great time with the couple coloring contests we did...

1speedy-dme.jpg

2011nov-some-faves.jpg

I haven't narrowed it down for the whole year, but these are a few recent favorites. I'd rank Crypt of Terror #17 as one of my biggest favorites of the year, simply because I never thought I'd get a decent copy (this is probably a VG+, which is more than acceptable to me) and I basically got this one for free (got it in a lot, sold some of the lot off, and came out ahead).

I love, love, love Crypt of Terror #17. In my mind, it is the first EC horror comic. Technically it's not, because there were partially horror-themed issues of War Against Crime and Crime Patrol. And you can go back even further and say that Moon Girl #5 was the first EC comic with a horror story, since it has Moon Girl fighting zombies. But Crypt of Terror is the first full-fledged EC horror title, predating Vault of Horror and Haunt of Fear, and in three issues it turned into Tales From the Crypt. On top of that, it's the first EC "New Trend" comic, which marks the beginning of their most creative, popular, lucrative and influential period. (To be fair, both Crypt of Terror and Vault of Horror were released in April/May 1950, but Overstreet cites Crypt of Terror #17 as being "the first New Trend to hit stands.") You almost could call it the first horror comic, but Eerie #1 from 1947 wins that claim.

EC and William Gaines may not have invented horror comics, but they definitely proved they could make money and that's what had numerous other publishers following suit (and coming out with their own pre-code horror classics). You can chart a line from the arrival of Crypt of Terror #17 to the days of Crime Suspenstories #22 when the backlash against horror and violent-crime comics nearly destroyed the comics industry. So yeah, I would say I am pretty happy to have a copy of Crypt of Terror #17! On top of that, I find it to have very attractive cover art, from the Johnny Craig image to the appealing color scheme (and my copy has nice bright colors) and especially the cool title lettering.

As for the other stuff: The Torchy was a good one because it's in nice shape and now I'm only one issue away from a complete set. The Thunda has been on the wantlist for a long time and it's the only all-Frazetta comic, plus I love jungle comics. It's lower-grade but that's OK. And on that note, the Jo-Jo #25 is another longtime wantlist issue, with one of the best covers of the run -- a Baker/Kamen (?) bondage classic -- and it's another "practically free" comic.

This one is by far, my most LONGED for comic acquisition in 2011. In all honesty, probably in my whole CGC collecting career!!

(Indebted to Vintageleatherpants for making this grail happen (worship) )

DD7cgc94oww50p.jpg

Patience was a virtue for this one!! I almost cut a check in 2008 for double what I paid for this BUTE in a C-Link auction in May. Being Hawkeye's 4th appearancr and start as an Avenger, makes it a special acquisition for me!

(This book became more coveted to me when Cheetah complimented me and it upon posting her in the C-Link win thread (thumbs u )

RADCBCE02010927_12301.jpg

This just trumps my JIM #116 from Greg Reece's recent find, for #3 spot. (#116 is big deal to me since it is my second to last book completing the first 10 appearances of DD in comics) I've always been a BIG fan of Smokey since my early childhood. Such a great Mascot in imho. This book marks his first appearance in comics. I'm so glad I finally bit the bullet and added it to cart. Its tied with one other as the highest graded. (I think Mark owns its twin) Sorry for the crappy pic.

(Thank-you Gemma for adding a Smokey the Bear Set!! :hi::foryou: )

IMG_5084.jpg

Bunch of great show your best books threads going on in various subsections of the boards

Here are my top three, a lot of books I get to fill holes in runs but these three genuinely make me smile (and all ow/w!)

The reasons for getting them should be pretty obvious; the all select as its a classic and the cover is really matt, not glossy like you might expect, however this one pops, the grade is just stupid high, was looking to pick one up, saw this in Chicago, and adjusted my spending plans for the year accordingly.

Superboy 1, this book is one of the best looking ones I have, people say it looks more 9.2 than 9.0; wonderfully centered the colors pop, just thrilled to have such a cool copy.

I always wanted a ww1; I loved reading the treasury edition story as a kid, they are hard to find in high grade (um, is this an understatement ? Um, only 3 copies graded higher, two 8.5 and a 9.0!) I was girding my loins for a bidding war on this but won it relatively easily (it's still the most I have paid for a book) needless to say it is filled with win.

AllSelect11.jpg

Superboy1front.jpg

WW1.jpg

This one is by far, my most LONGED for comic acquisition in 2011. In all honesty, probably in my whole CGC collecting career!!

(Indebted to Vintageleatherpants for making this grail happen (worship) )

DD7cgc94oww50p.jpg

Patience was a virtue for this one!! I almost cut a check in 2008 for double what I paid for this BUTE in a C-Link auction in May. Being Hawkeye's 4th appearancr and start as an Avenger, makes it a special acquisition for me!

(This book became more coveted to me when Cheetah complimented me and it upon posting her in the C-Link win thread (thumbs u )

RADCBCE02010927_12301.jpg

Great pickups !! :applause:

Hey Gang, :hi:

I think I did this same thread last year so I might as well do it this year because I haven't seen this thread post yet.

Show the comic board community your Top 1-3 Comic Book purchases for your collection for the year ending 2011!

(Post only personal books, and not books you have sold or dealer profit books, etc...)

Maybe a little background of each book in relation to why is was your top priority of comic book purchases in 2011.

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year.

SOT

#1 Courtesy of Bobby Storms (Blazing Bob) at WW Chicago:

My grade range and budget was around 7.0/7.5. What made this copy stand out was the extremely white front cover and page quality. As we all know this issue is notorious for CROW. I am very happy to have this book finally in my personal collection.

003-1-1.jpg

#2 Courtesy of Bobby Storms (Blazing Bob) at SD Comic Con 2011:

This book is kinda funny because I found the book raw, got it graded, sold it to Bob in NJ, and then couldn't stop looking at it again at the San Diego Comic Book show. The book is definitely a 9.0, but really has the appearance of an 9.6, and with me being a huge Spider-man fan I just bought it back. The book is simply stunning to look at with the bright cover. Thanks for the cash advance Bobby. lol

002-1-1.jpg

#3 Courtesy of a really nice seller on eBay of all places:

Some people love this book, and some non-Spider-man fans hate this book. I freakin love it. I grew up always wanting to own this book, and I remember being 17 at the local Philly Con almost buying a low-grade copy for $400.00. That money was supposed to go to my college books for fist semester, so it took all of my strength not to buy it. :cry: So this book was very nostaglic to my child hood working at the local comic book store for all those years. Finally into my personal ASM collection it goes.

001-1-1.jpg

I love all three of your books. Very nice QP and pages.

From Bob Storms, I got these 2 in Chicago:

012.jpg

013.jpg

And from Dale Roberts in Chicago:

023.jpg

Not as big as some already posted and, in hindsight, I didn't get a major book on my list though the Superman was on the 2nd tier. I did fill in quite a lot of holes in my collection, mostly late Bronze Age books.

i only got a handful of books this year...

my #1 is a longtime grail of mine and i didn't buy it, my wife bought it for me

G.I. Combat #1

as for the other 2?

Sketchbook of the Dead #13 of 25, but I put that out myself, does that count?

for number 3? there is still 2 1/2 days left in the year....

Comic book and comic book related acquisitions...my top 3

Just love this book... :cloud9:

6319639093_e2fe086b93_b.jpg

Got this one from a fellow boardie and had it slabbed...love it

5843567775_e48622f9d4_b.jpg

And picked up my second Heshka! :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

5673797005_2075732310_b.jpg