• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Q: can PQ hold the grade down ?

18 posts in this topic

I have a book with a really sharp glossy cover that looks like a 5.0 - 6.0 but CGC graded it a 4.0. I always assumed the LIght Tan / Off-White page quality was what kept the grade lower. But I am wondering about it and wanted to see what others might know about PQ and how much it factors into the technical grade. Thanks in advance for any info on this!

In my experience, the highest grade a book with Lt tan pages can get, at this point (I know there are 9.8 older graded books with tan pages) is 8.5. I base that on BUTM's Hulk book and this book, which is dead bang 9.4 in hand.

IMG00179-20101214-2050.jpg

I cannot say, however, that PQ would take a book from 5.0 to 4.0. I have no frame of reference.

I'll try to get a decent scan of it, if im successful i will post it.

I rarely have any decent results when I scan slabs. I just don't see why it got a 4.0 unless something unseen on the cover kept it down.

a related question:

where can I find a list of the commonly used PQ grades?

The overstreet grading guide says that OWL is not used anymore, but it doesn't offer any alternative...referring the reader to a discussion on p128, when that has an example of a 9.4 submariner.... doh!

thanks.

I believe it goes:

White

Off-white to White

Off-White

Cream-Offwhite

Cream

Cream to Light tan

Tan

Slightly Brittle

Brittle

Pink

Pink is only used in certain situations, and I believe that it relates directly to certain types of paper that were used in paper shortages or because it was really, really cheap.

Also, the "x to y" designations are not separate PQ designations, but indicate the range of PQ throughout the book or even the page itself. So when you see "LT-OW" on the Anderson book I posted above, that means the worst part of the book/page is Lt. Tan and it gets better to the point where there is Off White paper as well.

The "Pink" designation is for books that were printed on pink paper.

The same way the back half of your phone book would be labeled "Yellow Pages." :gossip:

The "Pink" designation is for books that were printed on pink paper.

The same way the back half of your phone book would be labeled "Yellow Pages." :gossip:

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

No problem, Private Fondler.

I have a book with a really sharp glossy cover that looks like a 5.0 - 6.0 but CGC graded it a 4.0. I always assumed the LIght Tan / Off-White page quality was what kept the grade lower. But I am wondering about it and wanted to see what others might know about PQ and how much it factors into the technical grade. Thanks in advance for any info on this!

LT to OW did not factor in the grade, as long as it is also not labeled "slightly brittle".

I'm pretty sure LT is acceptable in the F range.