• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Keeping bound comics centered without squashing spine

25 posts in this topic

I have a question that might have been asked before but I'm not sure how to search for it.

Does anyone know how storing books upward effects the spine in the long term for square bound comics? I would think it would cause pressure on the spine and you would get the flattening appearance that I've seen on so many square bound copies?

I would think it might be better to store them with the spine facing downward?

Thoughts anyone?

Yes, horizontal vs vertical. I've been storing my squarebounds with the spine facing outward (towards the LHS of a box)...now I'm realizing that it would be better on the spine to store it with the spine facing downward.

With the spine facing downwards are you storing them in the long or short box long ways and how many less fits in them that way or are you just setting the box on it's side?

I'm going to segregate my square bounds and put them in a box facing downward. Although as Joey has posted, it might not be such a bad idea to just tilt all my boxes. I'm currently changing out my cardboard long boxes to these small boxes I picked up from a microchamber paper supplier that makes boxes for comics made from a microchamber paper philosophy so they are smaller in scope and are not long boxes.

I like these boxes. I realize they hold less but then it is also easier to store them.

http://www.conservationresources.com/Main/section_11/section11_14.htm

I just turn the box on its side.

I just turned my house on its side. Took a while, but the cats got used to it.

I store mine in a big tub of water. :P

This way gravity doesn't have any effect on the spines. But they tend to get water-logged. Oh well, you can't have it all. (shrug)

Seriously though Joanna, I don't think it matters too much whether they are stored vertical or horizontal...

Just going by all the great copies of Marvel annuals that exist in ultra-high grade, I doubt if they were stored on their sides.

I have a few high-grade Annuals also, and they don't seem to suffer from any spine fatigue that I can tell. I have stored a few for many years now. hm

So I don't know if it matters much is what I'm saying. If it did we wouldn't have so many nice examples existing. Now keep in mind I am talking mainly about SA Annuals.

GA square-bound books might be different story, but it's hard to tell since so few have survived in high-grade. But it think most of the problems are not the spine on these books but multiple factors lowering the grade.

I'd like to know more though, since I do collect Marvel Annuals.

So if anyone, has real answers to this, I am listening. (thumbs u

This way gravity doesn't have any effect on the spines. But they tend to get water-logged. Oh well, you can't have it all. (shrug)

Seriously though Joanna, I don't think it matters too much whether they are stored vertical or horizontal...

Just going by all the great copies of Marvel annuals that exist in ultra-high grade, I doubt if they were stored on their sides.

I have a few high-grade Annuals also, and they don't seem to suffer from any spine fatigue that I can tell. I have stored a few for many years now. hm

So I don't know if it matters much is what I'm saying. If it did we wouldn't have so many nice examples existing. Now keep in mind I am talking mainly about SA Annuals.

GA square-bound books might be different story, but it's hard to tell since so few have survived in high-grade. But it think most of the problems are not the spine on these books but multiple factors lowering the grade.

I do think there is something about the GA square bounds and how they are stored that is contributing to the "squashed" spine syndrome. This is the issue I'm having. I have a high grade True Love Pictorial giant with a "squashed spine" but I also have some really nice giants that lay beautifully. I just wanted to prevent the caving in of the spine, if it is related to storage...which I think it would have to be. I think if it is in a CGC case it is okay. It's when they are pressed together in a long or short box.

I do think there is something about the GA square bounds and how they are stored that is contributing to the "squashed" spine syndrome. This is the issue I'm having. I have a high grade True Love Pictorial giant with a "squashed spine" but I also have some really nice giants that lay beautifully. I just wanted to prevent the caving in of the spine, if it is related to storage...which I think it would have to be. I think if it is in a CGC case it is okay. It's when they are pressed together in a long or short box.

Don't use long or short boxes.Here's a way for you to not only keep your books nice,you can easily find what your looking for without the hassle of searching through boxes.I promise you that you will love this.Ask many people who have switched to this method.

Use Magazine holders. I will give you an example that I followed,and my comics.

I have yet to put the labels on the front of them,here are mine.

IMG00388-20110402-2035.jpg

Is the squashed spine a problem that happened while in your possession???

If it is, then I would say yes, go to an alternative method of storing. Maybe the tilting of your boxes like Joeypost does helps. I mean he must be having the same problem, or why does he store them on it's sides. (shrug)

However if storing on it's sides, space becomes a real problem because then you cannot stack your comic boxes.... :makepoint:

Is the squashed spine a problem that happened while in your possession???

If it is, then I would say yes, go to an alternative method of storing. Maybe the tilting of your boxes like Joeypost does helps. I mean he must be having the same problem, or why does he store them on it's sides. (shrug)

However if storing on it's sides, space becomes a real problem because then you cannot stack your comic boxes.... :makepoint:

I have to go back and see if I can locate some old images to see if it's gotten worse. I don't think it happened in my possession but this must occur from some kind of storage problems in the past.

Don't use long or short boxes.Here's a way for you to not only keep your books nice,you can easily find what your looking for without the hassle of searching through boxes.I promise you that you will love this.Ask many people who have switched to this method.

Use Magazine holders. I will give you an example that I followed,and my comics.

I have yet to put the labels on the front of them,here are mine.

IMG00388-20110402-2035.jpg

Cool idea, but you don't worry about too much light affecting them?