• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

File Copies

40 posts in this topic

How are you sure of this?

You have a book with a stamp that has been proven to be a fake and been presented with evidence that Danny was the person behind these fakes, so what do you know that would indicate the boy was never in his hands? Where has it been since the early 1990s? The stamp alone renders the book a fraud, trimmed or not.

How are you sure of this?

You have a book with a stamp that has been proven to be a fake and been presented with evidence that Danny was the person behind these fakes, so what do you know that would indicate the boy was never in his hands? Where has it been since the early 1990s? The stamp alone renders the book a fraud, trimmed or not.

First I do not claim that the stamp is a "File Copy" stamp. I only raised a concern as to how CGC graded stamps inside of books.

That being said

Here is a challenge. I challenge anyone out there to produce the Danny Dupcak stamp. from what I've heard it said Eastern Color "file" in some cases with a signature. This stamp just says Eastern Clr NO SALE

I agree with everyone that pallets of File Copies are not realistic, but to to make blanket statements without having this book in the hand and examining it.

The other issue I have is just how do you determine a book is trimmed. Do you microscopically look at the edges. Do you measure the length and the width of the book to determine if the book is of legal length? I would almost take a wager that you can find many of the CGC Blue label books of a simular comic and find that the lengths vary because the printing "cutter" will not always be exact. This is also the reason for the famous marvel chipping.

Let the book stand on it's own as though the stamp did not exist.

This stamp identifies it as property of Eastern Color. I would also say that there could not have been piles of the same book just sitting around.

doh!

One more think Dupwad's Eastern Specimins had "Date Stamps.

Not sure about the alleged forgeries as having a date stamp but it's been hypothesized that Dupcak stamped each of his books with a "File Copy" stamp.

Below are a couple of examples exhibiting the file copy stamp.

The XM#5 was confirmed as being sold by DD.

The ASM#28 was sold on eBay by another snowman that went by the seller name of "marvelseller".

Also provided is a Heritage sale from 2004. It's interesting to note that Heritage advertised the book as being from Fantazia Comics and that a COA was included with the sale.

That COA alone should be considered as a high-valued collectable of interest. lol

stamp_comparison_ECFC.jpg

ASM_28_InsideCover_ECFC_Stamp.jpg

xmen5inside.jpg

A-11_eastern-file-copy.jpg

."In one series of advertisements in the early 1990s, Dupcak’s store announced the discovery of “Eastern Color Uncirculated Books,” which he said originated from Eastern’s Waterbury, Conn., printing facilities and warehouse. The ad represented that “Eastern did the printing for over 50 comic companies (Atlas, Marvel, DC, Archie, Harvey, Fiction House, etc.) at these facilities between 1951 and approximately 1970.” Eastern stamped in-house copies with date stamps identifying these comics as “Eastern Specimens,” the ad stated.

“The books are, in 99% of the cases the absolute finest available specimen. … Most are unimprovable, and like Mile Highs, are infectious to the condition-conscious ‘Mint Freak.’ ” In his final ad in CBG, Dupcak offered such copies of Fantastic Four #1 for $10,000 and $8,000 each.

I just love those old ads from Fantasia as they were absolutely classic. I still remember the one with the picture of them burning a copy of the Overstreet price guide. lol(tsk)

Classic snowmanship by ol' Danny Boy.

That dude could snow a hypnotist into hypnotizing himself.

His ability to embellish an advertisement was second to none. :eek:

DD_CBG_Advertisment.jpg

Many/most of the Blue Label books certified by CGC as “File Copies” are actually warehouse copies. The encapsulated Famous Funnies and Heroic issues listed by Zaid fall into this category. In 1976, I assembled nearly complete runs of Famous Funnies and Heroic from the Eastern Color Warehouse find. In many cases, there were a dozen or more copies of a specific issue to choose from. I probably examined close to one-thousand books, and I can state, unequivocally, that none of them were stamped. At the same time, I also purchased several hundred Atlas/Marvel comics. These were true one-of-a-kind file copies (or reference copies). Every one of the Atlas/Marvel books was three-hole punched and none were stamped:

Thank you for the information and bringing it full-circle for me.

Several years ago I purchased a copy of Crime Does Not Pay #143 that was advertised as an Eastern Color File Copy.

The purchase sparked a very interesting dialogue with the seller, Steve Sibra, who described the book's origin.

Although Steve did not provide the name of who he got the book from, he said that the book came to him from a long time collector, residing in California, who had amassed various file copy materials from Eastern Color in the late 1970's, including a near complete run of Famous Funnies. I'm thinking that you're the guy Steve was referring to.

Anyway, here's a scan of the copy I purchased from Steve. It has the 3-ring binder holes. The book is not stamped.

CDNP-143_file-copy.jpg

This should explain it (from the infamous CBG "Undercover" article!)

"In one series of advertisements in the early 1990s, Dupcak’s store announced the discovery of “Eastern Color Uncirculated Books,” which he said originated from Eastern’s Waterbury, Conn., printing facilities and warehouse. The ad represented that “Eastern did the printing for over 50 comic companies (Atlas, Marvel, DC, Archie, Harvey, Fiction House, etc.) at these facilities between 1951 and approximately 1970.” Eastern stamped in-house copies with date stamps identifying these comics as “Eastern Specimens,” the ad stated.

“The books are, in 99% of the cases the absolute finest available specimen. … Most are unimprovable, and like Mile Highs, are infectious to the condition-conscious ‘Mint Freak.’ ” In his final ad in CBG, Dupcak offered such copies of Fantastic Four #1 for $10,000 and $8,000 each. But some questioned the authenticity of the pedigree and continue to do so. Steve Borock, who keeps track of pedigrees for Comics Guaranty Corp., today says that no such Eastern Color file copies ever existed."

Before you put me in the same company of Dupcak, Robojo el la you should also do some more research

"1972

Eastern Color Printing closes its Waterbury plant and moves to Avon. Around the same time, Eastern sells many of its comic book file copies and cover proofs"

Eastern Color Wiki link

I don't really care how oily he is.. there WERE file copies. :banana:

Also note this one does not show a date stamp just a "DO NOT Sell"

I think it is a file copy at least it looks that way.

Wiki is a source? Dupcack could have put that in there, I could have put that in there. Colbert has made a mockery of Wicki on his show F-ing with various things on it. Don't get me wrong, I look things up on Wiki all the time, but I wouldn't really rely on it.

Actually, the reference used for the Wiki article was provided by the Connecticut Historical Society (CHS). It is a sound source and the article is factual. Unfortunately, CHS reworked their website some time ago so the Wiki reference link is dead.

."In one series of advertisements in the early 1990s, Dupcak’s store announced the discovery of “Eastern Color Uncirculated Books,” which he said originated from Eastern’s Waterbury, Conn., printing facilities and warehouse. The ad represented that “Eastern did the printing for over 50 comic companies (Atlas, Marvel, DC, Archie, Harvey, Fiction House, etc.) at these facilities between 1951 and approximately 1970.” Eastern stamped in-house copies with date stamps identifying these comics as “Eastern Specimens,” the ad stated.

“The books are, in 99% of the cases the absolute finest available specimen. … Most are unimprovable, and like Mile Highs, are infectious to the condition-conscious ‘Mint Freak.’ ” In his final ad in CBG, Dupcak offered such copies of Fantastic Four #1 for $10,000 and $8,000 each.

I just love those old ads from Fantasia as they were absolutely classic. I still remember the one with the picture of them burning a copy of the Overstreet price guide. lol(tsk)

DD_CBG_Advertisment.jpg

Note that he continues to use the same carnival barker words such as "unimprovable" to this day. lol

DD_CBG_Advertisment.jpg

Amazing of what has gone on in the hobby between buyers and sellers! Maybe someone should write a book? hm

This stamp identifies it as property of Eastern Color. I would also say that there could not have been piles of the same book just sitting around.

doh!

One more think Dupwad's Eastern Specimins had "Date Stamps.

Not sure about the alleged forgeries as having a date stamp but it's been hypothesized that Dupcak stamped each of his books with a "File Copy" stamp.

Below are a couple of examples exhibiting the file copy stamp.

The XM#5 was confirmed as being sold by DD.

The ASM#28 was sold on eBay by another snowman that went by the seller name of "marvelseller".

Also provided is a Heritage sale from 2004. It's interesting to note that Heritage advertised the book as being from Fantazia Comics and that a COA was included with the sale.

That COA alone should be considered as a high-valued collectable of interest. lol

stamp_comparison_ECFC.jpg

ASM_28_InsideCover_ECFC_Stamp.jpg

xmen5inside.jpg

Ok this makes me feel better the book I have does not have a FILE COPY stamp.

maybe he got some of these books when they were sold in the '70 and tampered with them plus added the bogus FILE COPY stamp hm

Or maybe Steve's point was that the Eastern Color stamp is a fake too and not all the books had the File Copy stamp anyway? (shrug)

That's the way I read it.

I also wanted to say that the Fantasia books I handled were all mariied covers and had the matching red FILE COPY stamp on the first page, as in the previous posts. They were actually SA DC Doom Patrol issues.

For many years, I worried about a book I had bought from Fantasia in the early 1980s and had sold to a customer in my store.It was a book that was well out of my range and I acted more as a middle man for the transaction, but I was the one who delivered the book and accepted the money for it. It was a Marvel Comics #1 in around Fine. I really wasn't sure what I should do if the buyer ever showed up and claimed the book was restored. Not so long ago I ran into the buyer and to my surprise and relief found out the book had been slabbed by CGC and came back as a 4.5 Blue Label.

Evidently not everything they sold was worked or tweeted. Just most of it.

I had an FF 20 that I purchased many years ago as a file copy. It always looked funny to me, the staples didn't look like they were in the correct location but it was in such nice shape. I showed it to Matt Nelson who immediatley said the staples had been replaced. I don't think he mentioned a possible married cover but the staple issue alone stopped me from sending it to CGC. The dealer I got it from was still in business and I brought it back to him at Wizard World. He remembered it and gracefully gave me store credit for the purchase price. One thing I have noticed about dealers is that if you tell them Matt looked at the book they don't argue with you about his analysis.

Many/most of the Blue Label books certified by CGC as “File Copies” are actually warehouse copies. The encapsulated Famous Funnies and Heroic issues listed by Zaid fall into this category. In 1976, I assembled nearly complete runs of Famous Funnies and Heroic from the Eastern Color Warehouse find. In many cases, there were a dozen or more copies of a specific issue to choose from. I probably examined close to one-thousand books, and I can state, unequivocally, that none of them were stamped. At the same time, I also purchased several hundred Atlas/Marvel comics. These were true one-of-a-kind file copies (or reference copies). Every one of the Atlas/Marvel books was three-hole punched and none were stamped:

Several years ago I purchased a copy of Crime Does Not Pay #143 that was advertised as an Eastern Color File Copy.

The purchase sparked a very interesting dialogue with the seller, Steve Sibra, who described the book's origin.

Although Steve did not provide the name of who he got the book from, he said that the book came to him from a long time collector, residing in California, who had amassed various file copy materials from Eastern Color in the late 1970's, including a near complete run of Famous Funnies. I'm thinking that you're the guy Steve was referring to.

Anyway, here's a scan of the copy I purchased from Steve. It has the 3-ring binder holes. The book is not stamped.

CDNP-143_file-copy.jpg

Good guess! :headbang: I am indeed the person who sold Steve this book, and everything he told you about it is accurate. It's a small world, for sure. :cloud9:

Wow, I can't believe Heritage actually included that in its description, even in 2004.

This is why I love these Boards. The intersection of collectors' knowledge base, connoisseurship, and fellowship is nonpariel:

Good guess! :headbang: I am indeed the person who sold Steve this book, and everything he told you about it is accurate. It's a small world, for sure. :cloud9:

It is a small world indeed... and a pleasure to meet you!

Steve also made mention that you, at one time, had a whole stack of uncut, unbound, never used covers (front and back unfolded) for a whole bunch of 1950s Atlas comics. He suspected that they may have come from the Eastern Color warehouse too, but he wasn't positive.

In any event here are a couple of unused covers that I picked up down through the years. Wish I could get my mitts on a complete printers cover sheet with multiple covers, but for the time being, I'll take what I can get when it comes to this kinda unique collectable! :grin:

ST-117_cp.jpg

TOS-51_cp.jpg