• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 3rd scanner in the past year,...

44 posts in this topic

...OK,...I've bought 2 scanners already this year and they both blow,...the first was a cheap cannon,..and the second was a HP scanjet 8500 that has horrible glare,...

I wanted a microtek 1800 but they dont make them anymore, and i dont want to risk the new model,...

so I'm narrowed my choices down to a hp scanjet 8300 or a brother all-in-one MFC-8480DN ,...

Can I get some feedback on which is better for slabs please? (shrug)

A Brother, while a decent machine, will use more ink than any other brand in the industry. I looked at those HP's you are looking at now, last week, because I needed a legal size scanner for slabbed comics. However, i couldn't justify the price just to upgrade my Epson 8.5 x 11 scanner, Which I am keeping because my all-in-one Hp scans arent near the quality of my Epson stand-alone scanner, I dont know what the scan quality is like on those HP's you are considering, but I have found that unless you spend about $800 on a all -in-one then the quality is not near the quality of a stand alone flatbed (The newer all in ones may be different).

Buy one of these for $50-$75:

HP 7400

Then get this for $40-$80:

Vuescan

And you can get scans like this:

Thrilling65-1.jpg

Just curious, cheetah, but do you have any junk books or is everything you own the envy of the collecting community?

Just curious, cheetah, but do you have any junk books or is everything you own the envy of the collecting community?

I've got so much junk I can't find a good place to store it.

I've got so much junk I can't find a good place to store it.

I have an extra bedroom. :foryou:

The difference is CCD vs CIS. CCD is better than CIS for depth-of-field.

Most HP all-in-ones now use CIS. The older models like the HP 7310 used CCD.

3-D scanning

CCD (Charge Coupled Device)

CCD scanners use mirrors and lenses to capture optical information, which the scanner then converts into digital data.

They are able to capture a greater depth-of-focus than CIS scanners, making them more suitable for heavy and detailed 3-D scanning or double page spreads to minimize visible black lines at the binding.

HP dedicated scanners and most HP LaserJet MFPs use CCD technology for optimal color and depth of focus.

CIS (Contact image sensors)

Lighter-weight than CCD technology, CIS technology uses LEDs placed near the scanning glass to capture an image and are perfect for HP All-in-Ones. HP All-in-Ones featuring flatbeds and CIS technology are also capable of scanning 3-D items and are available with up to a 48-bit color bit depth.

...OK,...I've bought 2 scanners already this year and they both blow,...the first was a cheap cannon,..and the second was a HP scanjet 8500 that has horrible glare,...

I'm narrowed my choices down to a hp scanjet 8300 or a brother all-in-one MFC-8480DN ,...

Can I get some feedback on which is better for slabs please? (shrug)

I've got the Brother MFC-8480DN and have been very pleased with it. I've had it almost a year and haven't had to change the toner yet (though I do try to keep my home printing at a minimum because I'm cheap). I produced these scans using the software provided with the scanner and then resizing and "auto correct" in Microsoft Office Picture Manager.

ASM289CGCss.jpg

ASM282CGCss.jpg