• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How far back does Trimming go?

18 posts in this topic

I have an X-men #1 vol 1 I bought in 1983. I just had it graded & it came back trimmed. :censored: I do remember restoring adds in Overstreet in the late 70's. I bought this comic at my local comic book shop. I'm still shocked it came back trimmed. I know for a fact the owner was not shipping these books off for restoration.

A while back namisgr had a thread about an ASM #121 (I think that was the book) that he had owned since buying it off the rack. He had it graded 3 times, with 2 blue label results that he thought were low so he resubbed it. The third time it came back trimmed after 2 blue label slabbings and no work done. I would look for the thread but am on my phone and search tends to hate me anyway.

A while back namisgr had a thread about an ASM #121 (I think that was the book) that he had owned since buying it off the rack. He had it graded 3 times, with 2 blue label results that he thought were low so he resubbed it. The third time it came back trimmed after 2 blue label slabbings and no work done. I would look for the thread but am on my phone and search tends to hate me anyway.

Trimmed off the rack

Trimmed off the rack

Quote from thread:

You cracked the same book out three times, had it sent to Matt for pressing....damn you spent a lot of money on that book.

I just about LOL'd at that. Lesson learned would be to leave the damn book alone and buy an overcopy if you're that much in a twist over it.

That really, really sucks about your X-Men 1 you got in '83. I'm sorry :(

Trimmed off the rack

Thanks

People have done all sorts of weird restoration and preservation of comics long before there was any thought to them having value, let alone how that value might be effected, including varnishing covers, running unneeded tape down the sides, and trimming for binding or just appearance.

I'm sure back in the 1940s there was more than one kid with a compulsion for neatness and access to a paper cutter who sliced off ragged overhangs on his or her comics.

Was just going through some books I picked up in the '70's and realized my TOMB OF DRACULA

#1 was a good 1/16th of an inch shorter than the other, thus cutting off the bottom of the copy

"Night Of The Vampire!" a little. I guess this could have been a victim of trimming...I'm sure CGC

would say so.

mm

I had this book for at least 30 years, maybe 35 before I sent it out for slabbing with some other pre-heroes. It was the top book on the stack when they came back from CGC - "top edge trimmed".

I never looked at it before but its obvious when you have the book in hand. I thought for a minute the whole box would be like this one but that was not the case luckily. So we had people hacking at books many moons ago it seems.

strangetalestrimmed001.jpg

strangetalestrimmed002.jpg

Comics have been getting trimmed by people well before 1983 so the sad thing is it probably is trimmed.

That will kill the value of that book also which sucks.

Comic trimming was all the rage in the 70s.

The evil 70s...

They trimmed comics but not body hair. :eek:

Comics have been getting trimmed by people well before 1983 so the sad thing is it probably is trimmed.

That will kill the value of that book also which sucks.

Comic trimming was all the rage in the 70s.

The evil 70s...

They trimmed comics but not body hair. :eek:

Yeah most of the adult movies I saw from Vivid could have used a Dupcak Stylist.