• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Label Color's Scheme

19 posts in this topic

I'm pretty new to the collecting of slabbed books. Graders were not around when I collected comics in the 70s & 80s. Now that I'm back collecting. I was trying to decipher why certain colors were used for that particular comic grading slab. Since everything is well thought out it seems to me the label color scheme had no real meaning other the to differentiate between the different set of labels. If they were ever to revamp the labeling scheme which is a long shot. I suggest they use the Traffic Light scheme. They could change the Green to Yellow for caution. The Purple label to Red. Red is a better label for warning, caution or alerting. And would stand out to let the buyer know right away that something is different with the book. Green for go or Purple just does not have the same effect. I think Green would be better color for Universal instead of Blue. Does anyone know why current color scheme was chosen?

Maybe this would work.

Universal (Blue) change to Green

Signature Series (Yellow) change to Blue, Purple or another color.

Qualified (Green) change to Yellow

Restored (Purple) change to Red

Any thoughts on this?

I'm pretty new to the collecting of slabbed books. Graders were not around when I collected comics in the 70s & 80s. Now that I'm back collecting. I was trying to decipher why certain colors were used for that particular comic grading slab. Since everything is well thought out it seems to me the label color scheme had no real meaning other the to differentiate between the different set of labels. If they were ever to revamp the labeling scheme which is a long shot. I suggest they use the Traffic Light scheme. They could change the Green to Yellow for caution. The Purple label to Red. Red is a better label for warning, caution or alerting. And would stand out to let the buyer know right away that something is different with the book. Green for go or Purple just does not have the same effect. I think Green would be better color for Universal instead of Blue. Does anyone know why current color scheme was chosen?

Maybe this would work.

Any thoughts on this?

FAIL

Maybe this would work.

Any thoughts on this?

The largest fault in your reasoning is believing that currently green, yellow or purple labelled comics are somehow bad. They aren't. The labeling system isn't a warning device. It's a means of conveying information at a glance. Restored books are not bad books. Actually, it is a shame that people look down on restored books and that CGC reinforces this by scoring them dramatically lower in the Registry.

Maybe this would work.

Any thoughts on this?

The largest fault in your reasoning is believing that currently green, yellow or purple labelled comics are somehow bad. They aren't. The labeling system isn't a warning device. It's a means of conveying information at a glance. Restored books are not bad books. Actually, it is a shame that people look down on restored books and that CGC reinforces this by scoring them dramatically lower in the Registry.

Yea, I get that.

perhaps instead of color, a picture on the label is more important

....like a skull with bones for PLOD book as in POISON...red ain't harsh enough of a WARNING.

....like a glass half full for Green label as in UHHH ....not full

i kid :baiting:

in all honesty, the curiousity of why they picked the colors they picked never crossed my mind..not before and certainly not now.

I'd like to see a 'Black' label. Sounds cool.

this actually sounds great.... how about using it for universal grade pedigrees?

I'd pay extra for a book with a special classification and a black label!

Collector hobbies are markets that lend themselves to a lot of unethical and fraudulent behavior and I for one appreciate the current color classification for differentiating between unrestored/restored and other miscellaneous books. Perhaps the purple label puts too much of a stigma on certain books, but they are generally the type of books that people can really get hosed and ripped off with.

The positive by far outweighs the negative when it comes to protecting the average collector. You shouldn't be an expert in the hobby to be able to buy comics without getting ripped off. I think that color labels help less knowledgeable collectors make purchases with a great deal less risk of getting scammed.

With blue label books, the principle risk to the consumer is overpayment.

this actually sounds great.... how about using it for universal grade pedigrees?

I'll bet they'd get more than a few resubs just to get the black label.

I third this motion. :applause:

I'll bet they'd get more than a few resubs just to get the black label.

I third this motion. :applause:

Good company

500026702360G.jpg