• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Motor City ComicCon 2012 May 18, 19, and 20

127 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me how this con compares to Mid Ohio (only major con I have attended)? Would like to attend this year since it is a little closer to home (Toledo area) and Mid Ohio prices this year are $35 for Saturday (the Stan Lee effect) compared to $22 per day at Motor City. Can anyone who has attended both tell me how it compares to Mid Ohio (comic selection, crowds, cosplay)? Thanks!

I'd say they were very comparable, with Motor City being a tad larger. Last time I went to Mid Ohio was two to three years ago and I don't know if it has expanded since then. Comic selection is usually pretty good, but the Cosplay is kept at a minimum. Crowds on a Saturday is pretty packed but not like a Fan Expo, NYCC, SD or WWChicago.

Jim

I'd say they were very comparable, with Motor City being a tad larger. Last time I went to Mid Ohio was two to three years ago and I don't know if it has expanded since then. Comic selection is usually pretty good, but the Cosplay is kept at a minimum. Crowds on a Saturday is pretty packed but not like a Fan Expo, NYCC, SD or WWChicago.

Jim

The crowd is slightly older than most "in city" shows but there is a terrific costume party every Saturday night in the host hotel.

Who can forget this classic costume from a few years ago?

DetroitConMay09066.jpg

If you are looking for quality comic guests, Mid-Ohio is better. If you are looking for a better dealers room, Motor City is better.

Yeah, the comic guest list for this year's Motor City show is really weak thus far:

http://www.motorcitycomiccon.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=211&Itemid=441

overall yes, but three of my favorite creators are there: Charles Paul Wilson III, Chrissie Zullo and Jeremy Bastian, so I'm happy as can be.

Looks like I'm gonna be there with my little sister in tow (15 years old). We're only going to be there Friday so is there anyone/anything that MUST be seen? Or anyone a 15 year old girl should meet to solidify her as a comic fan for life?

Can anyone tell me how this con compares to Mid Ohio (only major con I have attended)? Would like to attend this year since it is a little closer to home (Toledo area) and Mid Ohio prices this year are $35 for Saturday (the Stan Lee effect) compared to $22 per day at Motor City. Can anyone who has attended both tell me how it compares to Mid Ohio (comic selection, crowds, cosplay)? Thanks!

I heard that there is this really awesome show in Cincinnati and is cheaper than Ohio.

BTW...I like Motor City Con.

I'm glad to see that the Mike Goldman show lives on. No word on guests yet, but I've heard rumors of a major Star Wars hero who has never made a MCCC appearance. Or, a major Star Trek / X-Men hero who I don't recall ever being at the show. But rumors are only rumors.

http://www.motorcitycomiccon.com/

So, who's going?

have fun Mike :applause: What's on your want list?

Going in Thursday for set up, any solid dinner plans yet for Fri or Sat?

Oh, and yeah, I was talking about the Benihana at 8 Mi and Haggerty...

Jim

Except there will be a ton of good dealers at Motor City. I will be there as well as Harley, Bob, Ted, and others.