• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Exposed microchamber paper in CGC Well - Reholder?

56 posts in this topic

This might be a question for Gemma, but I was curious if any boardies have ever seen this before.

I have a slabbed comic that has exposed microchamber paper peaking out of the side of the comic.

PreacherPreviewUNV98.jpg

I know...not a big deal, but it bothers me because it detracts from the book's eye appeal and might be an issue if I ever want to sell the book. Would reholder service fix this problem or is this considered an "encapsulation error" that CGC would fix if I send them the book?

Thanks

Turn the slab so the spine of the book is pointing towards a table or other flat surface. Tap the edge of the slab and the microchamber paper should slide back inside the book.

No, CGC does not consider it an encapsulation error.

Turn the slab so the spine of the book is pointing towards a table or other flat surface. Tap the edge of the slab and the microchamber paper should slide back inside the book.

Do what Doc says

Do what Doc says

And then change your user name. ;)

Do what Doc says

And then change your user name. ;)

People your age should learn to play nicer.

I tried the tapping thing before I posted, and it didn't work.

Then tap it harder. If you are looking at the front of the slab, i.e. the front cover, tap the spin side against the palm of your hand. You might have to be a little forceful, but don't hit it so hard your palm hurts.

I find that the plastic outer shell on CGC encapsulated comics detracts from the eye appeal of the comics. Do you think CGC would reholder these books, and if I ask would leave out the holder?

This might be a question for Gemma, but I was curious if any boardies have ever seen this before. I know...not a big deal, but it bothers me because it detracts from the book's eye appeal and might be an issue if I ever want to sell the book. Would reholder service fix this problem or is this considered an "encapsulation error" that CGC would fix if I send them the book?

I think people here are being a bit hard on this guy for asking a straightforward question. He admits he knows it's not a big deal.

My take on it is that you should revise your view of how much the microchamber paper hurts eye appeal. To me, it really doesn't, and I like the reminder that it's in there, since it staves off the effects of acidification.

Slabbed comics should be reholdered every 7 years or so anyway, right? So depending on how long ago this was slabbed, plan on getting it reholdered at the appropriate time and the paper will then be replaced too.

Most knowledgeable buyers will understand why it's there and probably won't be too bothered by how it affects eye appeal. Those buyers will also know that reholdering is going to happen some time down the road anyway, and will factor that in to the equation when buying/bidding.

This might be a question for Gemma, but I was curious if any boardies have ever seen this before. I know...not a big deal, but it bothers me because it detracts from the book's eye appeal and might be an issue if I ever want to sell the book. Would reholder service fix this problem or is this considered an "encapsulation error" that CGC would fix if I send them the book?

I think people here are being a bit hard on this guy for asking a straightforward question. He admits he knows it's not a big deal.

My take on it is that you should revise your view of how much the microchamber paper hurts eye appeal. To me, it really doesn't, and I like the reminder that it's in there, since it staves off the effects of acidification.

Slabbed comics should be reholdered every 7 years or so anyway, right? So depending on how long ago this was slabbed, plan on getting it reholdered at the appropriate time and the paper will then be replaced too.

Most knowledgeable buyers will understand why it's there and probably won't be too bothered by how it affects eye appeal. Those buyers will also know that reholdering is going to happen some time down the road anyway, and will factor that in to the equation when buying/bidding.

I appreciate this serious response to my question. Obviously, it doesn't affect the grade of the comic, but I think we can all agree that eye appeal matters to buyers...just like a buyer might prefer a perfectly centered book over an off-centered one, or an unscratched CGC case over one with scratches.

Then tap it harder. If you are looking at the front of the slab, i.e. the front cover, tap the spin side against the palm of your hand. You might have to be a little forceful, but don't hit it so hard your palm hurts.
The knuckle side works much better. You won't get far with the palm side.