• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigrees, Pressing, and Population.

68 posts in this topic

I haven't seen so much crybaby butthurt in one thread in quite some time.

:whatev:

Was that really necessary Jim?

I don't have a dog in this fight and was making what I felt was a legitimate observation based on a previous poster's statement.

The lack of any perceived variety in all of these auctions is warranted in my opinion.

Yes, it was.

Plus, I wasn't necessarily singling you out. Your post was just the one I hit to reply.

However, if you all don't want to wade through all the "boring" HG Marvels being auctioned off, then learn to use the search functions on the various sites and single out only the books you are interested in viewing.

Once you became a dealer, even part time, it's hard to keep the same interest because there's a commodity sort of interest (which is why pressing becomes a part of most dealers' practice, because the idea in business is to maximize profit). Once this happens, you start disconnecting. No matter how much money you have, unless you are on the of the uber wealthy collectors (and that's a handful) you can't just get whatever you want, whenever you want it.

Even if you have a big comic budget and can spend a lot acquiring books for resale and your collection, it's boring because you see it all. Enh, i could buy another Spidey in (fill in the blank). You even start getting bored with keys when you see them often unless they are "special".

I think a lot of GA collectors start going there because you've seen all the SA, so what's the friggin' point? *Yawn* another avengers 4.

When you're a dealer you start seeing dollar signs when you buy. Can this be a 9.(x)? I don't say that as a negative by the way, because I spend massive quantities of time looking at books for resale. I enjoy that aspect of the hobby now.

I still get excited seeing a beautiful book. One that has a wonderful spine, sharp corners and deep edges, whether it's a Millie the Model or Mystery in Space.

I enjoy seeing new covers or things I've never seen before. Learning new things about the hobby, the history and the little details often present in comics.

I certainly understand the way you feel on some level Pat, and the disconnect, but... I think you can find a lot of enjoyment as well -- as there's plenty of copper I'd even collect if my budget became limited suddenly. Or I'd read all those trades that I have boxed up.

Once you became a dealer, even part time, it's hard to keep the same interest because there's a commodity sort of interest (which is why pressing becomes a part of most dealers' practice, because the idea in business is to maximize profit). Once this happens, you start disconnecting. No matter how much money you have, unless you are on the of the uber wealthy collectors (and that's a handful) you can't just get whatever you want, whenever you want it.

Even if you have a big comic budget and can spend a lot acquiring books for resale and your collection, it's boring because you see it all. Enh, i could buy another Spidey in (fill in the blank). You even start getting bored with keys when you see them often unless they are "special".

I think a lot of GA collectors start going there because you've seen all the SA, so what's the friggin' point? *Yawn* another avengers 4.

When you're a dealer you start seeing dollar signs when you buy. Can this be a 9.(x)? I don't say that as a negative by the way, because I spend massive quantities of time looking at books for resale. I enjoy that aspect of the hobby now.

I still get excited seeing a beautiful book. One that has a wonderful spine, sharp corners and deep edges, whether it's a Millie the Model or Mystery in Space.

I enjoy seeing new covers or things I've never seen before. Learning new things about the hobby, the history and the little details often present in comics.

I certainly understand the way you feel on some level Pat, and the disconnect, but... I think you can find a lot of enjoyment as well -- as there's plenty of copper I'd even collect if my budget became limited suddenly. Or I'd read all those trades that I have boxed up.

I spend a lot of time reading trades these days. Marvel Masterworks and DC Archives with my kids...what more can I possibly want from the hobby. I've also started reading about the history of comics and trying to learn about the hobby rather than just buying books without understanding the background.

Mike

I haven't seen so much crybaby butthurt in one thread in quite some time.

:whatev:

Was that really necessary Jim?

I don't have a dog in this fight and was making what I felt was a legitimate observation based on a previous poster's statement.

The lack of any perceived variety in all of these auctions is warranted in my opinion.

Yes, it was.

Plus, I wasn't necessarily singling you out. Your post was just the one I hit to reply.

However, if you all don't want to wade through all the "boring" HG Marvels being auctioned off, then learn to use the search functions on the various sites and single out only the books you are interested in viewing.

Luckily you seemed to have missed the point. And thank goodness you decided to bless this thread with your gems of wisdom. Butthurt... Seriously?

I have an entire longbox of moderns I started on. I still love reading books, just didnt have time. As far as collecting, who knows. I still love ga dc and pre code horror.

....and you probably always will, Pat. I can definitely relate to what you said earlier about the market in general, however. Nothing spoils some fun quicker than "Big Money".....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

During periods of our life things change, and frankly don't disagree with some of your pessimism on the market...

That being said I'm glad you're still able to find what you still love in the hobby and make the most of your situation...

Still love my BA DCs... :facepalm:

Bomber is the voice of reason.

Welcome back Pat. I've felt much the same as you. I'm tired of the what

seems like an endless focus on high grade and profit rather than the love of

the comic medium. I'm also finding it less interesting to collect SA Marvel, it

is everywhere.

You are finally seeing the light, Dave, Marvel is :sick: compared to the classic campy SA Superman or Batman ..... lol

Seriously, though, +1 from a collector perspective, which is why I switched to early SA DC and BA DC Adams books a while ago and then dabbled a bit in GA. Thanks to Al Gore's invention of the internet, the thrill of the hunt is gone from collecting most comics as they are available on a regular, if not 24/7, basis.

However, from a seller/part time dealer perspective, SA/BA Marvel is a much better way to go as the only DCs that can touch Marvels for liquidity are the Neal Adams Bats, Tecs and GLs.

This is a great thread. I just collect mid grade runs of silver and bronze with the occasional gold or copper book thrown in if it catches my eye. Collecting in this manner is stress free and fun. I don't follow the big time auctions or stress about everything having to be 9.8.

If I ever sell my books, I understand that I probably won't even break even, but that's fine, I collect for the escapism from the daily stresses of life not for profit.

I love seeing the uber high grade books that people post here, and if that's your thing, more power to you. (I would love to know how Greggy seems to have an almost limitless supply of HG goodness for instance).

I guess my philosophy is that if collecting is unfulfilling, or worse, bringing you stress, then it's probably time to do something else, or at least alter the way you collect.

Life is too short to get stressed out over comic books, however much you enjoy them. 2c

With SA Marvels from 1965 onward, the good supply of high grade copies makes collecting entire runs feasible. Rather than simply focusing on a couple of minor keys, cool covers, or childhood favorites, a collector can go after a complete set of a favorite title published over a several year period.

This type of collecting is rewarding, too.

Oh, I totally agree. One of the things I most like about the boards is that there are so many different collecting focuses pursued by people here. I believe that you should collect whatever interests you.

I wouldn't ever criticise what one individual collects just because it isn't my focus, I just think whatever it is you collect should bring you pleasure not stress.

(worship) There's something amazing about seeing a 50-60 year old comic book looking like it was just plucked off the newstand, regardless of genre.

Silver Age marvel's pay the bills.

If you want a challenge put together a DC war collection, Pre-Hero Atlas or Horror run. Sprinkle in some DC's from 1954-1959 and the quest begins.

Interests are always limited by our pocketbooks.

As it expands so do our interests.

Oh, I totally agree. One of the things I most like about the boards is that there are so many different collecting focuses pursued by people here. I believe that you should collect whatever interests you.

I wouldn't ever criticise what one individual collects just because it isn't my focus, I just think whatever it is you collect should bring you pleasure not stress.

+1

Silver Age marvel's pay the bills.

If you want a challenge put together a DC war collection, Pre-Hero Atlas or Horror run. Sprinkle in some DC's from 1954-1959 and the quest begins.

Interests are always limited by our pocketbooks.

As it expands so do our interests.

As long as they continue to keep making Marvel movies,then the Silver Age Marvels will continue to be the benchmark of this hobby! :cloud9: