• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC gets a new logo

109 posts in this topic

Layout. I'm not an artist but have opinions on things like logos & layouts. I posted that ad out of concern over the layout per the thread discussion.

Wow - I really hope it's just a tease campaign like +one+that+...&p=new+bell+canada+logo+campaign&oid=1483b7156a481cfa3d4f8ae0c03bd091&fr2=piv-web&fr=aaplw&tt=Bell%2BCanada%2Bis%2Blaunching%2Ba%2Bnew%2Bcorporate%2Blook%2Btomorrow%252C%2Bone%2Bthat%2B...&b=0∋=100&no=8&tab=organic&ts=&sigr=129rhmpd9&sigb=13ilvjnq6&sigi=11pa7ofrt&.crumb=47fADAZcLcp'>BELL CANADA did when they were unveiling their new branding. BELL only revealed parts of the logotype in the corners of their ads. I hope DC is doing something similar. The flap logo we're seeing might be nothing more than a tease that will be fully unveil the real complete logos hidden behind.

Either way, they've been partially successful, because we're all buzzing about it already.

I'm sure that's what's happening.

The flap logo we're seeing might be nothing more than a tease that will be fully unveil the real complete logos hidden behind.

Either way, they've been partially successful, because we're all buzzing about it already.

...and they just revealed how it will look on comics:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/01/19/dc-comics-demonstrates-how-logo-will-be-used/

14_h4uml2utzcy9u2pbt34.jpg

The colors kinda change my whole attitude toward the logo.

I like the variations on the single theme. It allows for a lot of play & creativity without losing brand recognition.

I understand the peel away thing now.

I love it.

I still like it as a tease campaign with the peel away, but it just doesn't say "DC" to me as a final logo. There's way too much emphasis on the "C" in "DC" with this logo. And I hate the left aligned text - the dead space between "COMICS" and the icon above is bugging me.

We'll see once something officially hits their website and/or products. Right now it's a great buzz-generating campaign, which couldn't come at a better time, considering the cancellation of several 52 titles.

the basic shape is offputting. But the color and comics placement applications of it are encouraging. Especially when online and its an animated glowing trademark, or on fire etc... things they couldnt do with the swoosh. which, in retrospect I really like.

still, aside from the neat overlapping of the Rounded D to the C underneath, by itself, with the cheesy lift and peel effect, its very ugly in monotone.

We'll see once something officially hits their website and/or products.

It's on their site now, with mock-ups as to how they intend to use it:

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2012/01/19/new-brand-identity/

Gah. Someone should have called and told DC that the page curl look went out about 10 years ago. I don't see that being a very strong visual for them in the long run.

It just doesn't scan as "DC". You can clearly read the Marvel logo from a distance. Aesthetics aside, I call fail as it doesn't fulfil the primary objective of a logo, which is brand identity and awareness.

This may well be what Goldie said, but I didn't understand a damn word. :ohnoez: