• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Grand Auctions - Jan 18th

72 posts in this topic

ASM #155 CGC 9.8 went for $850?!?!?

GPA is around $150-200 and there are 24 9.8s out there....

holy cow!

Was it the price variant?

NO. looks likie a bidding war :ohnoez:

Never understand the point of a bidding war about a comic that could have another dozen 9.8s pop up in the next year (especially if people see this sale and then think $profit$)

holy cow!

Never understand the point of a bidding war about a comic that could have another dozen 9.8s pop up in the next year (especially if people see this sale and then think $profit$)

Or that will shake loose one of the other 23 9.8s after the owner sees this result.

holy cow!

Or that will shake loose one of the other 23 9.8s after the owner sees this result.

Or 6 of them

Holy S! Where have you been?

Hanging out at loveshack.org because since I finished my FFs all I was talking about in these forums was off-topic stuff like hot chicks and relationships anyway. :blush:

But I didn't know until today the Curator FFs surfaced, just saw that minutes ago, I'll be reading that thread today. :ohnoez:

Hanging out at loveshack.org because since I finished my FFs all I was talking about in these forums was off-topic stuff like hot chicks and relationships anyway. :blush:

Ahhh...so you're going to pull a Levine on us, eh? Quest over, adios CGC Boards. :baiting:

I gave you all the advice you needed in that department.

:makepoint:

Ahhh...so you're going to pull a Levine on us, eh? Quest over, adios CGC Boards. :baiting:

I got very tired of the mods keeping the rating around here at the G level every time we took it to PG territory. That's a brand of ultra-conservatism and censorship that I'm not a fan of. :makepoint:

The X-men 1 9.4 went for a song, relatively speaking.

90K . Let's see if Doug reports it to GPA. This is a perfect example where the buyer would not want it reported as the current last sale and 12 month average is 137.5K

BTW Doug's notes on this book states 'Stands as the third highest CGC example behind only 2 in 9.8 and 2 in 9.6' .

Shouldn't this be 5th highest example ? It's the 3rd highest grade but not 3rd highest example. I hate false stats.

That's the usual Doug-speak. If he can't get away with a downright lie, he'll do his best to throttle the truth instead. meh

You call it murder, I call it justifiable homicide.

But I didn't know until today the Curator FFs surfaced, just saw that minutes ago, I'll be reading that thread today. :ohnoez:

There's also a thread about them in the SA forum, called "Northstar Collection" or something like that.

FF 2 CGC 9.6 white mountain just jumped from $60K to $80K in one minute:

FF 2 CGC 9.6 highest graded copy

...."this originally owned behemoth" Ha-Ha! What a description! lol

Loaded with hucksterism. Referring to a book as 'original owner' means the comic is being sold either by the OO or the dealer who acquired it directly from the OO.

This one's been pancaked lord knows how many times, and Doug is well removed from the original owner.

FF 2 CGC 9.6 white mountain just jumped from $60K to $80K in one minute:

FF 2 CGC 9.6 highest graded copy

...."this originally owned behemoth" Ha-Ha! What a description! lol

Loaded with hucksterism. Referring to a book as 'original owner' means the comic is being sold either by the OO or the dealer who acquired it directly from the OO.

This one's been pancaked lord knows how many times, and Doug is well removed from the original owner.

But, to be fair, he just says it was "originally owned" which can be said about any comic. Even the LCS "owns" its comics until they are sold.

I honestly do not even read anything he writes (not that I buy anything from the site anyway).

He's so far off in hyperbole-land (and to be fair, so are most all the auction houses and owner descriptions on Ebay) that it's not worth enduring the crimes committed against the English language.

I assume all books have been pressed at this point as well.

Trying to stay sane...

Dan

If you think Doug's is bad, read this one:

Captain America 100 CGC 9.9

ComicLink Comments:

Offered here is an extremely rare, CGC Mint 9.9 example of one of the most iconic Jack Kirby covers of the Silver Age! Captain America #100 in CGC 9.9 is one of those rare gems that you just do not ever expect to lay your eyes on personally, let alone see come available in a public auction. Just how rare is it? There have been over 300,000 comic books published in the 1960s graded by CGC. Out of all of these titles and issue numbers, only 27 Silver Age issues in total (one hundredth of one percent!) have received the grade of CGC 9.9. Of those, most are insignificant issues. In fact, only 4 premiere issues from this time period have received the grade of Mint 9.9 – of those, Captain America #100 (the premiere issue of the Silver Age Captain America title) and Iron Man #1 ( the premiere issue of the Silver Age Iron Man title) are the most important, followed by Iron Man and Sub-Mariner #1 and Nick Fury, Agent of Shield #1. Jack "the King" Kirby's striking cover with Captain America front and center, leading the Avengers in a charge, against a black and white background is also one of the most classic images from this time period.

The extreme rarity of the Captain America #100 in CGC 9.9 is perhaps most clearly illustrated when compared with the scarcity of some other Marvel Silver Age keys. There are merely 2 CGC 9.9s of Captain America #100, and none have been assigned since these two were graded about ten years ago (in 2001). Contrasted with other keys – it is six times as rare as Avengers #4 in CGC 9.6 (the last ComicLink sale of a beautiful 9.6 example was $91,500) and it has the same scarcity as Amazing Fantasy #15 in CGC 9.6 (which has already broken the million dollar mark!). It is approximately three times as rare as Amazing Fantasy #15 in CGC 9.4, which is worth $300,000+. It also has the same population as X-men #1 in CGC 9.8, and both Detective Comics #27 and Action Comics #1 in CGC 8.0 (both of which reached the million dollar mark despite the existence of higher graded examples)! If one feels, with good reason, that a comparison with Action Comics #1 or Detective Comics #27 is a stretch, simply stopping at any comparison to other rare, Silver Age keys -- Hulk #1 in CGC 9.2 (there are 4), and Avengers #1 in CGC 9.6 (there are three and one sold for $250,000) -- will certainly suffice to illustrate the point that this item is, and will remain, one of the rarest of high-grade Silver Age keys extant.

Near Mint range Silver Age Marvel keys are obviously some of the most coveted comics in the hobby, but in terms of the combination of significance, scarcity, and pristine condition, these 9.9s are just in a class by themselves. Only one comparable Silver Age CGC 9.9 has been offered before to the public -- the Iron Man #1 CGC 9.9 that sold just short of $70,000 in the ComicLink November Focused Auction. That book, and the Bronze Age Hulk #181 CGC 9.9 published 6 years later, which sold for $150,000 on ComicLink last February, are the only comparables.

Clearly, Captain America #100 is one of the most iconic Jack Kirby covers from this time period, as well as one of the most important issues released by Marvel. With a Captain America movie behind us, and the star spangled hero poised to lead the Avengers in The Avengers movie this May, new investors entering the hobby as well as serious long-time Silver Age comic book collectors have been clamoring for the very best examples they can find of both this issue. You cannot get any better than this, folks!

We are thrilled to be able to offer this gem to our bidders, and since it is being auctioned without reserve, we are also extremely excited to see what the market will bear at auction!

Auction Estimate: $100,000+