• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Love For Captain Marvel (Mar-vell) Vol 1 #1 - #62

30 posts in this topic

Hello Fellow Boarders

Just Wondered what people thought of this Bronze Age title...Ok it started in '68' but to me it will forever be a 1970's comic.

In the UK it was seen as just another drek title for a long time but slowly and surely developed an interest due to the art of Jim Starlin and several appearances by the Death-worshipping Thanos.

I've recently re-read through a number of issues (probably for the first time in 20 or so years) and found them to be a decent read. This got me to wondering whether the adventures of Captain Mar-Vell & Rick Jones were enjoying a new lease of life or had they faded back into the shadows.

Cheers

PCC

Mar-vell was one of my favorite characters even after Starlin had left the run. I was sadden when he was killed off, but at the same time, I thought the way they handled it was very classy.

The question is what costume did you prefer?

The old Green/Silver or the updated Red?

I may be in the minority but I prefer the old Green/Silver costume as it's something a little different, the updated red one is a much more generic superhero look!

:applause:

Red costume, with the twinkly effects added to it by Starlin, issue 29 upwards.

Yeah to me busy color saturated covers like this one have that Bronze Age is beautiful baby look!!

Seems as if the costume change was THE transition for old Mar-vell.

He went from robotic or old Iron man look to the Mr. Universe bodybuilder extreme.

54033517.jpg

Red costume, with the twinkly effects added to it by Starlin, issue 29 upwards.

Yeah to me covers like this one have that Bronze Age is beautiful baby look!!

Seems as if the costume change was THE transition for old Mar-vel.

He went from robotic or old Iron man look to the Mr. Universe bodybuilder extreme.

98500893.jpg

Okay, even though some will argue that the figurework there is a bit stiff and clunky, nonetheless it's one of my favourite BA covers -  nothing will change that.  For me though, the absolute killer cover of this series / title is issue 29's.  

I know I'm in the minority, but I never cared for Starlin's art, I don't like the way he elongated heads, (Mike Ploog does this as well). I've also never been a fan of Marvel's "Galactic type stories and characters; Thanos, Warlock, Infinity this and that etc.

In fact, pretty much the only Bronze age stuff I don't like.

Hugely popular with many others though, so it's just horses for courses I guess. (shrug)

And the other question was

silver hair or blond hair CM?

Something I never really thought about before until you asked this question...

An issue that could have been raised about the red costume is that the twinkly effects added to it by Starlin make it resemble that of Ditko's Captain Atom, who also has a stream of scintillating particles trailing behind him when he flies, and silver hair.   Could explain the change in hair colour, to make the characters look less alike.

Anyway, I did some Googling and found this...

http://themightymite.blogspot.com/2011/02/1975-captain-atom-pin-up-by-jim-starlin.html

Actually the first time encountered him was buying 62 off the rack as a seven year old.

Red costume for me then, and 37 followed by 29 as best covers (thumbs u

I started with issue 27.  I remember reading it and thinking for the first time ever -   ' this is actually really, really good stuff, and the detractors who tell me that comic books are all garbage are talking absolute, utter B.S.'

Hardly surprising I'm a fan of Starlin's Captain Marvel - a very powerful nurture component here. :)

And the other question was

silver hair or blond hair CM?

Something I never really thought about before until you asked this question...

An issue that could have been raised about the red costume is that the twinkly effects added to it by Starlin make it resemble that of Ditko's Captain Atom, who also has a stream of scintillating particles trailing behind him when he flies, and silver hair.   Could explain the change in hair colour, to make the characters look less alike.

Anyway, I did some Googling and found this...

http://themightymite.blogspot.com/2011/02/1975-captain-atom-pin-up-by-jim-starlin.html

Wow! Never noticed the similarities with Captain Atom before.

I am a huge Starlin fan and loved all his CM,Warlock stuff and actually shed some tears over The Death Of Captain Marvel graphic novel.Very powerful stuff.I've just recently completed my Mar-Vell run,minus some crossovers,and plan to sit down and read it straight through but the Silver & Green costume does bring back some very fond memories from my childhood.Not quite being old enough to fully understand it but knowing I was on to something really good.

As a side question,which is better from Starlin: Captain Marvel,Warlock,Dreadstar or 'Breed?