• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Love For Captain Marvel (Mar-vell) Vol 1 #1 - #62

30 posts in this topic

I was introduced to Mar-Vell in the red & navy blue uniform...and was a DC Comics fan at the time!

During the beginning of summer of '75, and the "Golden Age" of my comic book reading, my then-teenage cousin who was baby-sitting me at the time asked me what comic book character I liked; to which I replied "Captain Marvel" (the SHAZAM version).

So she bought me a Captain Marvel comic; what did she buy?

gscm1.jpg

:o

The 1st thought in my young mind seeing this book was..."Who the hell is this???"

Instead of complaining, I read the comic she purchased, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Later on I did my own research on Mar-Vell (the green/silver uniform, Kree/Skrull War, Thanos, Eon, & Death Of...); and my respect for the character grew...

Thanx, Cuz! :foryou:

I was introduced to Mar-Vell in the red & navy blue uniform...and was a DC Comics fan at the time!

During the beginning of summer of '75, and the "Golden Age" of my comic book reading, my then-teenage cousin who was baby-sitting me at the time asked me what comic book character I liked; to which I replied "Captain Marvel" (the SHAZAM version).

gscm1.jpg

The 1st thought in my young mind seeing this book was..."Who the hell is this???"

Instead of complaining, I read the comic she purchased, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Later on I did my own research on Mar-Vell (the green/silver uniform, Kree/Skrull War, Thanos, Eon, & Death Of...); and my respect for the character grew...

:applause: Neat story.

I enjoyed reading the anecdote as well.  :)

Seems that this run of comics has been quite influential on many of us who grew up during the 70s.

Seems that this run of comics has been quite influential on many of us who grew up during the 70s.

I'm quite surprised just how much an impression Captain Marvel and Starlin must have made on us.. :)

Here's the covers for our viewing pleasure:

http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/captain-marvel

I think my favourites are 28,29 & 31 but I've also got a soft spot for 52 & 53.

Also what's the view on the Pat Broderick run between 55 - 62?

I'm quite surprised just how much an impression Captain Marvel and Starlin must have made on us.. :)

Here's the covers for our viewing pleasure:

http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/captain-marvel

I think my favourites are 28,29 & 31 but I've also got a soft spot for 52 & 53.

Also what's the view on the Pat Broderick run between 55 - 62?

I like Broderick as an artist and like his CMs. He had some good inkers also with Wiacek, McLeod, and Patterson. I even thought the few issues by Milgrom were good and I'm not a Milgrom fan but I liked the covers of #50-52 very much.

gscm1.jpg

Like I said previously, an excellent anecdote. :applause:

What a great sampler book for you to receive because, through pure luck, your cousin introduced you to the part of the run during which Roy Thomas had started using the device of Mar-Vell being able to switch places with Rick Jones using the Nega Bands, just as the Fawcett Captain Marvel could switch places with Billy Batson by shouting 'Shazam!'

gscm1.jpg

Like I said previously, an excellent anecdote. :applause:

What a great sampler book for you to receive because, through pure luck, your cousin introduced you to the part of the run during which Roy Thomas had started using the device of Mar-Vell being able to switch places with Rick Jones using the Nega Bands, just as the Fawcett Captain Marvel could switch places with Billy Batson by shouting 'Shazam!'

I did notice that similarity; thought it was awesome slamming those Nega-bands together to exchange places with each other...the "thunderbolt" way looked kinda painful... :eek: