• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Purchasing art from an international collector

23 posts in this topic

Hi all,

So I'm about to buy a piece of comic art from an international collector. The piece is over 1K and I was wondering what the normal process is for the transaction? This may seem like a stupid question, but I've never dealt with things this expensive before. Is it customary to pay all up front? or is there a split? Just not sure. Thanks for the advice!

Define International..

Canada?

Overseas to Europe,,, Australia?

Nigeria :gossip:

Nigeria has princes who want to take millions out of country from goodness of their heart not buy things

Hi all,

So I'm about to buy a piece of comic art from an international collector. The piece is over 1K and I was wondering what the normal process is for the transaction? This may seem like a stupid question, but I've never dealt with things this expensive before. Is it customary to pay all up front? or is there a split? Just not sure. Thanks for the advice!

Haven't spent that much for an overseas purchase, but I just bought a page from an artist in Spain (via his dealer). It was a $600 purchase, and we treated it the same as a stateside purchase. I used paypal (w/creditcard protection), paid upfront, he shipped (following whatever customs requirements on his part were necessary), and easy peasy.

If this seems to be a well established collector (like they have lots of CAF art, or are a rep for artists, or whatever) I'd be less worried... someone random? More worried, but no more so than a stateside purchase of that amount.

Hi all,

Going only from what I've read on this site for a completed piece that's in someone else's collection is just a straight-forward transaction - the only time I've seen someone refer to 'holding back money' was when they were getting commissions done & that sort of thing. I think it's a way of retaining some control over the timeline when working with artists or artist reps.

I've never been to Nigeria.

I use to live there, rush hour is a nightmare, yet their wine rivals the finest champagne and their smoked Gouda is the truly amazing (thumbs u

I use to live there, rush hour is a nightmare, yet their wine rivals the finest champagne and their smoked Gouda is the truly amazing (thumbs u

I understand.

I understand.

- Peter Sellers in "Being There"

I understand.

- Peter Sellers in "Being There"

I'm a gardener.

Hi all,

If the collector is the fellow at the centrepiece of this thread I would proceed with a great deal of caution.