• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Comics Are You Gonna Buy With Your Tax Return Checks?

78 posts in this topic

We try to get as close to zero as possible which isn't the easiest thing to do. Sometimes we owe and sometimes we get money back never more than $300.00 either way. If we have to pay we have it in the savings account, if we get money back it's a night out with the wife.

I snagged another Marvel Key...the Fantastic Four #1 in my sig. I just need LG copies of Hulk 1, ASM 1, and AF 15 now.

Thems the Biggest dogs,hope you fulfill your goal. :applause:

Are you collecting any DC's keys?

My feeling is that in this economic climate that any education that acts as an increase in job security and allows you to be more of asset can be nothing but helpful to your long term personal growth. It is an investment in yourself. The comic books? As much as I am biting my lip in typing this... those are secondary.

So true. I left my job teaching high school to take my current job as a university employee. I took a pay cut, but the benefit in doing so was that I was able to go back to graduate school. As a university employee, I can take a class for free each semester. Its taking me longer than most because I only take one class a semester, but it has been worth it. This time next year I will be done and (hopefully) in the doctoral program :banana:

With that said, as a government employee my income is limited. I have few deductions anyway. I claim no dependents on my w-2 and with two kids we get a nice little check. Interest-free loan or not, I like getting money in the mail rather than sending it off. Its worth the loss of interest if I were to put the money into a savings account to know that money will be coming in case we were to really need it. We're going to be saving most of our refund, but we will use some of it at Heroescon.

I used to agree. I was also pursuing another degree part time on the verge of going to graduate school. Maybe I need a break which I'm taking now but I don't believe the extra job security exists anymore. There is a very large disconnect between the current education system and employment skills. There was a time I always recommended university. That time has passed.

I snagged another Marvel Key...the Fantastic Four #1 in my sig. I just need LG copies of Hulk 1, ASM 1, and AF 15 now.

Sticking to the Marvels for now...I'm gonna have my hands full with the last three. lol Plus I'm working on a few CGC runs as well, may jump to DC down the road but there are some GA books calling my name too.

Sticking to the Marvels for now...I'm gonna have my hands full with the last three. lol Plus I'm working on a few CGC runs as well, may jump to DC down the road but there are some GA books calling my name too.

Good for you,collecting both Marvel and DC can be a hard task. :eek:

I used to agree. I was also pursuing another degree part time on the verge of going to graduate school. Maybe I need a break which I'm taking now but I don't believe the extra job security exists anymore. There is a very large disconnect between the current education system and employment skills. There was a time I always recommended university. That time has passed.

In my experience skills matter when applying for a job, but so many jobs have a minimum education requirement that cannot be substituted based on work experience. I'm also in a career where the greatest chance for promotion lies squarely on continuing my education.

The other benefit to going back to college are the career services offered. I can't speak for every school, but the college that I am a part of within my university has an awesome career services department that holds career fairs and allows you to register with an online database that companies can search through for potential job candidates. Most undegrad degree programs also require an internship for credit, thereby providing you with hands on skills and work experience.

I hope to make a dent in what I owe for property taxes. For the past 3 years I have been putting in for abatements as they show one part of my house having a crawl space, basement, a first floor and a second floor. On that part of the house there is only a walk in basement and a first floor. Hopefully they will fix it this time. :pullhair:

Congrats! That's the grades I'm concentrating on as well. Nothing wrong with nice presenting 1.5s and 1.8s in my book. I think I may have commented on your sig line before - it's right up my alley. Awesome stuff.

In my experience skills matter when applying for a job, but so many jobs have a minimum education requirement that cannot be substituted based on work experience. I'm also in a career where the greatest chance for promotion lies squarely on continuing my education.

The other benefit to going back to college are the career services offered. I can't speak for every school, but the college that I am a part of within my university has an awesome career services department that holds career fairs and allows you to register with an online database that companies can search through for potential job candidates. Most undegrad degree programs also require an internship for credit, thereby providing you with hands on skills and work experience.

Which field are you pursuing? Does the 'investment' pay dividends?

Getting a tax refund check is OVERWHELMINGLY STUPID. You've given the Federal government an interest free loan of your money for 18 months.

Anyone who wants to give me money all this year, I will pay you back next May. That's what you're doing if you're getting a tax refund check. :facepalm:

As opposed to the high yields you would be getting if you loaned the government money the old fashioned way i.e. bonds?

What is this "interest" that you speak of?

That sounds like something from before 2008.

Getting a tax refund check is OVERWHELMINGLY STUPID. You've given the Federal government an interest free loan of your money for 18 months.

Anyone who wants to give me money all this year, I will pay you back next May. That's what you're doing if you're getting a tax refund check. :facepalm:

Congrats! That's the grades I'm concentrating on as well. Nothing wrong with nice presenting 1.5s and 1.8s in my book. I think I may have commented on your sig line before - it's right up my alley. Awesome stuff.

Thanks! I'm starting out on the low end of things and once I have all the big marvel keys and the ability to do so, I have upgrade them a bit. But I'll take a presentable 1.5-2.5 any day of the week.