• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Computer Wire Clutter....any ideas???

38 posts in this topic

I need help concealing computer wires, here is the scenario:

I just moved my primary workstations ( 3 computers / 6 monitors and accessories ) to a bigger room in the house that has direct access to the outside. My secondary workstations ( 4 computers, two test areas, 6 monitors ) already takes up half of my garage.

This is the way my primary workstation looked before I moved it:

workstations1-3.jpg

As you can see, it is extremely cluttered.

Once I moved into the new room, I separated the group of computers keeping the two main rigs on one desk with four monitors and a Xbox with a monitor (see below) and then I split the 3rd computer off with its two monitors to a desk of its own across the room from this one:

damn_wires.jpg

I cut down to only two systems on my main desk, less wires from monitors and such. Having only two systems and four monitors on one desk looks a LOT better, and less cluttered...but look at all the damn wires! They look like crapola. I tried regular zip ties...doesn't help, still looks bad against the white wall. I tried wire looms...still looks bad.

Anyone have a good idea so that you don't see all the wires the instant you walk into the office?

Get a different desk. Ever hear of a KVM switch? Why would one person need 4 monitors for 2 systems?

Still mad at you for not replying to my PM! That 64-bit Windows XP vs. normal XP would've been a great HOCP article...

Get a different desk. Ever hear of a KVM switch? Why would one person need 4 monitors for 2 systems?

Still mad at you for not replying to my PM! That 64-bit Windows XP vs. normal XP would've been a great HOCP article...

I need the on screen real estate...I have mail / ICQ / Word open on one monitor. I have our website editor and Internet Explorer open between both. On the second system I have photo editiing and research material etc. open on one monitor and then Word and notepad open for writing my reviews / magazine articles.

I didn't get your PM. frown.gif Sorry you're mad about that. Ask anyone who hass PM'd me, I have responded to most all of my PMs. Re-send it maybe?

The tables you have look great, but the only idea I have would be to drape a tablecloth over them so you can't see the wires in the back. You could also use a table skirt (like you see at weddings) which clips onto the edge of the table, get enough to run it along the back of the tables only which would hide the wires. confused-smiley-013.gif

Just buy cable organizer enclosures/runners (plastic generally) which you can attach to the underside back edge of your tables.

Your monitor wires can be run down the arms of the monitor holders and either ziptied into place with black zipties (which is also good in case you live in earthquake country. Velcro is also a good idea to keep them monitors in place.)

(Twisty Ties also work..but I don't think they look as good.)

Those cable wraps with velcro are pretty expensive and you need a lot of them, but they work too.

Another trick is to mount a rackmount 2' or 4' power strip up onto the back edge of your table or at table height (or just below it) This keeps the power cables off the ground.

You could send them to me and let me worry about the problem.

27_laughing.gif

Wire ties. That's the answer.

Lots and lots of wire ties.

I cut down to only two systems on my main desk, less wires from monitors and such. Having only two systems and four monitors on one desk looks a LOT better, and less cluttered...but look at all the damn wires! They look like crapola. I tried regular zip ties...doesn't help, still looks bad against the white wall. I tried wire looms...still looks bad.

Anyone have a good idea so that you don't see all the wires the instant you walk into the office?

How about Cable Sleeves ?

http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=120199&Product_Code=PC8750

sleevesfull.jpg

http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=120199&Product_Code=PC8750

sleevesfull.jpg

Do they come ribbed and with a reservoir tip?

I am thinking of something that is like a telephone cord made out of thin plastic...then you coudl wrap you wires together with that and then run it along the table...then when you got to where they needed to go they could branch out...What type of cords are they? Are they power cords? With the power cords you could use a panel/surge protector kinda thing...you plug everything into it and then you only have 1 cord going to the wall...then the panel has switches on it for everything...I like mine...it does do away with some of the clutter...those are my ideas...

Like This

sleevesfull.jpg

....for your pleasure.

sleevesfull.jpg

....for your pleasure.

And special "jelly" for virus protection.

insane.gif

sleevesfull.jpg

Actually you can mod them!

Heat Shrink Tubing 18mm

shrinktubefull.jpg

Description

Heat Shrink tubing is a perfect way to terminate the ends of Cable Sleeves. It will add a professional look to your cabling and protect your Cable Sleeves from fraying. When heated, its 3/4" diameter will reduce to 1/4".

I am thinking of something that is like a telephone cord made out of thin plastic...then you coudl wrap you wires together with that and then run it along the table...then when you got to where they needed to go they could branch out...What type of cords are they? Are they power cords? With the power cords you could use a panel/surge protector kinda thing...you plug everything into it and then you only have 1 cord going to the wall...then the panel has switches on it for everything...I like mine...it does do away with some of the clutter...those are my ideas...

Like This

I had an older model of that same surge protector.

My house was hit with lightning and fried my computer and monitor.

They refused to keep their end of the "$250,000 Connected Equipment Warranty" and wouldn't pay me a cent.

I ended up filing the claim through my home owner's insurance, so they took it and the warranty info to try to get their money back from Belkin.

I have no idea how that ended up.

When heated, its 3/4" diameter will reduce to 1/4".

OMG!

There's another joke there.

But I ain't touching it!

sumo.gif27_laughing.gif

Why would one person need 4 monitors for 2 systems?

You don't spend much time on computers do you? I would sooner take a job at Burger King then not have two monitors at work. One 21 inch is enough at home, but anything less then two 19's at work just wouldn't cut it.

Go wireless! Wireless keyboard, mouse, and modem! I love my Logitech (the mouse and keyboard)... the modem is a Linksys and is less "essential", but it's nice with the laptops in the house!

893applaud-thumb.gif

(And then drape something down behind the table and in front of the wires... the skins of your enemies, perhaps?)

I agree--go WIRELESS.

Just make sure you set up security or the entire neighborhood will BORROW your bandwidth devil.gif

He's in Alaska. I'm betting his nearest neighbors are probably out of wireless range. 27_laughing.gif