• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Label

47 posts in this topic

If and when CGC come up with a business model to introduce new label for example, authenticating signatures, it will push it out extremely fast. Until then, CGC is clogged with its current business to expand - my humble opinion. (shrug)

Will there be new labels? Probably, BUT only if it makes CGC money. :gossip:

Why would I take offense? Your opinion is no less valid than mine. The main difference is that you are looping in a desire to have CGC provide authentication services that conform to your experience in the "antiquities" market.

They have actively chosen not to do that, and I support the decision. I like the Yellow label product for precisely the reason that you feel it is deficient and ne'er the twain shall meet.

I didn't think you'd take offense, but I had to make sure you'd had all your booster shots for snark bite. :grin:

FTR, I enjoy looking at issues like this from different angles and just so we're on the same page, it's not that I have some great desire for CGC to provide an authentication service. What I was hoping for is more along the lines of their exploring the possibility of accepting evidence from established hand-writing experts to cover autographs from before the advent of their Signature Series.

I have no preconceived notion that we're going to resolve an international monetary crisis or formulate a plan for world peace on this forum, but to influence the way signatures are evaluated would be one small step in the right direction. (thumbs u

I want a tie-dye label just for the hell of it :sumo:
I know what I want, the problem is what I DON'T want... Basically, I don't wanna grow-up, I don't wanna grow-up, cuz if I do, I wouldn't be a Toys R' Us kid... :banana:

I'm glad this has brought about some good debate. From posts sent to me privately and on these boards it looks like about 75% are for completely, 20% are for but have concerns about how it would work, and 5% are against. I like to collect signatures. I have all the presidents, Declaration of Independence signers, and many famous people like Einstein, Freud, Alexander Graham Bell. CGC is unique in that it won't authenticate a signature unless it is witnessed by an employee. How would one see George Washington sign something yet it can be authenticated. I agree that an unwitnessed signature should not get a yellow label. However, green just doesn't seem right for a signature. As pointed out, CGC at one time had no label for a witnessed, signed, restored comic. Now they do. They used to have a red label. Now they don't. I've never sold a comic and I never plan to yet I have been collecting for 40 years.I have some old signatures that I don't think are right for a green label. I would prefer a separate label for an unwitnessed signature than one with a coupon clipped. Just my preference. I'm not asking CGC to legitimize the signature or make the comic more valuable. This wouldn't be any better or worse than a green label, just different. I send in comics unwitnessed and sometimes it comes back with "name written on cover" and sometimes with "the name Stan Lee written on cover". It's inconsistent. Sometimes I'll send in a comic with a Dynamic Force certificate and it gets "name written on cover" and sometimes I'll send in a comic with no certificate and no mention of who signed and it will come back "John Romita written on the cover". A new label with whatever is claimed to be on the cover to me would be more accurate and consistent. Maybe it would be worth more, maybe less but that is not why I want it. It wouldn't hurt anyone. CGC would probably benefit as people send in more comics or relabel their greens. CGC is not authenticating these, just putting them in a different label. I hope the debate continues and that someone from CGC reads it.

You make some really good points here. The one thing in life that is constant is change. I'm sure over time things will be different in regards to CGC labels. That is one thing that annoys me too in regards to green labels... I sent two books in to be graded - one came back " the name Matt Groening written on cover " the other came back "name written on cover". They were both 9.6's and exactly the same book but they were sent in at different times. If a book is to get a green label they all should say "writing on cover" because unless they are authenticated IN SOME WAY it is just scribble really.

Remember CGC don't guarantee or authenticate autographs or signatures of any kind.

They grade comics books and provide a SS service.

The best way to see the SS is exactly like the Dynamic Forces signed books. It's one company producing a product. You buy into it or you don't.

When you buy a SS book you shouldn't look at it as buying a signed book in that sense - you are buying a SS product, a product that CGC guarantees was signed by the person on the label at that place, at that time.

As soon as CGC give any books ANY kind of perceived legitimacy (be it a different label colour, or stating unwitnessed sig, yada yada) that can be likened to the SS, then it cheapens and will ultimately destroy their own SS product.