• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Label

47 posts in this topic

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5393147&fpart=27

I have a lot of books with unwitnessed signatures that have a green label. Green label to me seems like it should be for a book with pages missing or a book ruined in some way. Would you consider creating a new label for unwitnessed signatures? Maybe an orange label called 'Unwitnessed Signature". CGC would have no responsibility for the authenticity of the signature. The market can determine the worth of these books. The person submiting the book could send in the book with a list of the names on the cover or a certificate of authenticity if there is one. Again, CGC takes no responsibility for the authenticity. CGC puts on an orange label and the name or names claimed to be on the cover. I understand that CGC wants it black and white that they saw the book signed or it wasn't signed, and maybe there would be some dishonest people, but that would be the whole point of a new label. A label with non-witnessed names written on the cover that cannot be authenticated by CGC but do not ruin the comic. I have a bunch of green label books that I would send in for a new label. The green label just doesn't seem right for this to me.

I like this idea lot.

I think it could open up a whole new market, it allows the book to carry the name of the signature on the label, and there were so many books int he 90s that had these COAs.

Green labels suggest manufacture damage, but the books issued with COA's for sigs are not technically damged books. :think:

+1 this would be a cool new addition to cgc .

I agree 100%. The green label was a reasonable way to handle unwitnessed sigs in the beginning, but since the hobby has moved to strongly toward SS having something like an "orange" label would be good. I know that several of those 90's signings had the books in sealed bags with the COA and special stickers covering the flap, so those books would be good candidates for something like this in terms of "chain of custody".

The only reason my Dynamic Forces signed comics aren't graded is because of the Green Label. If there was a designated label like suggested, I'd definitely submit them to CGC. I think a lot of people probably think about it that way, too. So this could result in more business for CGC because of a special designated label for unwitnessed signatures.

A Black Label with white writing could be cool, too. But I'd take any color label!!

The problem is a green label means so many different things. It can be clipped coupons, cover detached or missing wraps. With a different color my comic is free of defects except an unverified signature.

Everything else is true but an unverified signature is not lumped in with all the other defects.

I agree too.

Green labels are for manufacturing errors,missing pages or coupons.

Why not have a different label for unwitnessed sigs? (shrug)

I have a lot of books with unwitnessed signatures that have a green label. Green label to me seems like it should be for a book with pages missing or a book ruined in some way. Would you consider creating a new label for unwitnessed signatures? Maybe an orange label called 'Unwitnessed Signature". CGC would have no responsibility for the authenticity of the signature. The market can determine the worth of these books. The person submiting the book could send in the book with a list of the names on the cover or a certificate of authenticity if there is one. Again, CGC takes no responsibility for the authenticity. CGC puts on an orange label and the name or names claimed to be on the cover. I understand that CGC wants it black and white that they saw the book signed or it wasn't signed, and maybe there would be some dishonest people, but that would be the whole point of a new label. A label with non-witnessed names written on the cover that cannot be authenticated by CGC but do not ruin the comic. I have a bunch of green label books that I would send in for a new label. The green label just doesn't seem right for this to me.

I'm having an issue with the verbage, 'Unwitnessed Signature". It seems to imply that CGC acknowledges that the comic was indeed signed by the creator legitimitely, however they cannot verify that it was indeed legitimate. Would seem to open up a can of worms I think.

Perhaps the green label isn't appropriate, but I can't see CGC ever doing something like you suggest.

I'm having an issue with the verbage, 'Unwitnessed Signature". It seems to imply that CGC acknowledges that the comic was indeed signed by the creator legitimitely, however they cannot verify that it was indeed legitimate. Would seem to open up a can of worms I think.

Perhaps the green label isn't appropriate, but I can't see CGC ever doing something like you suggest.

It is a shame for example, I have many Dynamic Forces comics with signature and or remarked - CGC will not accept the signature(s) even if the DF seal is intact.

It would be hard to get CGC to do this. I just have so many Dynamic Forces signatures and other green label signatures. Whatever the wording--unwitnessed, unverified, not authenticated, non witnessed- I hope CGC would somehow separate out these comics from the green label.

nice idea but it just begs the rats to come out of the sewer and try forgeries.

So perhaps CGC could specify certain acceptable COAs instead of just letting anyone scribble on a cover? Dynamic Forces for example, and other well known comics shops and dealers.

They flexed a bit on the whole chain of custody with the recent Marvel comics which they witnessed Stan Lee sign then put into circulation with a certificate that the comic would qualify for grading as a SS copy.

So if they will do that, why not at least recognize (but not authenticate) signatures done under the responsibility of other respected organizations, rather that giving the comics the Green Label also given to damaged comics? The comic isn't damaged.

Encapsulation of the COAs with the comic would be cool, too, but one thing at a time.

It is a shame for example, I have many Dynamic Forces comics with signature and or remarked - CGC will not accept the signature(s) even if the DF seal is intact.

You do realize that the DF seal can be removed and reattached rather easily, right? I do it all the time when I rebag DF books ...

Like Jeffro alludes to, there's no way CGC will ever do anything that even hints at them endorsing a signature that wasn't witnessed by them - which is how the market would perceive this new label.

How many labels will CGC have to create at this point?

Its like a freaking rainbow

It would be like all the Lantern Corps, you should love it!

To many Freaking Corps

Simpler solution: Get the celebrity signature authenticated by a recognized hand-writing expert and request that CGC include that information on whichever label is appropriate. (thumbs u

The whole yellow-label Signature Series thing has troubled me for a long time because it comes across as little more than a money grab for everyone involved.

Autographs aren't exclusive to CGC signing events and as I see it if collectors can provide evidence of authenticity, then that should be sufficient to get this fact acknowledged on whatever label (blue, purple or green) that the collectible would otherwise receive.

The Signature Series is the one gray area which places CGC at odds with accepted practices in the antiquities trade. I realize that on-site signing events are profitable and suit many folks just fine, but this isn't the only way famous signatures are authenticated in the world of autograph collecting.

Many artists or celebrities signed collectibles long before CGC existed; that needs to be taken into account. CGC should recognize authentication as part of the service provided.

My 2c

Simpler solution: Get the celebrity signature authenticated by a recognized hand-writing expert and request that CGC include that information on whichever label is appropriate. (thumbs u

The whole yellow-label Signature Series thing has troubled me for a long time because it comes across as little more than a money grab for everyone involved.

Autographs aren't exclusive to CGC signing events and as I see it if collectors can provide evidence of authenticity, then that should be sufficient to get this fact acknowledged on whatever label (blue, purple or green) that the collectible would otherwise receive.

The Signature Series is the one gray area which places CGC at odds with accepted practices in the antiquities trade. I realize that on-site signing events are profitable and suit many folks just fine, but this isn't the only way famous signatures are authenticated in the world of autograph collecting.

Many artists or celebrities signed collectibles long before CGC existed; that needs to be taken into account. CGC should recognize authentication as part of the service provided.

My 2c

You make a great point. In sports card grading for non pack pulled autographs (ones done at shows) Beckett offers a third party forensic hand writing expert so that the can still grade the card and authenticate it for it's customers. Maybe CGC could go that route.

nice idea but it just begs the rats to come out of the sewer and try forgeries.

While I like the idea of a label for "Unwitnessed (by CGC) sigs" (I have a growing stack of comics I'm getting signed by the artist/inker in his own studio), I have to agree with this post.

My 2c

You make a great point. In sports card grading for non pack pulled autographs (ones done at shows) Beckett offers a third party forensic hand writing expert so that the can still grade the card and authenticate it for it's customers. Maybe CGC could go that route.

I have to wonder how this would affect CGC fees :eek:

My 2c

The Yellow label is set up to provide 1st party authentication for the vast majority of items subbed. There are limited circumstances where an item can go directly from the talent to CGC in an unbroken chain of custody with an affidavit to CGC. There are no other circumstances in which they will provide the yellow label certification.

That does not constitute a "gray area." It constitutes a well delineated starting and stopping point for their services. Anyone that wants a 3rd party authentication is free to get one. CGC does not provide that service. I for one, am glad, as 3rd party authentication opens Pandora's Box to all of the well documented problems with forgeries and scams in other collectibles markets.

My 2c

The Yellow label is set up to provide 1st party authentication for the vast majority of items subbed. There are limited circumstances where an item can go directly from the talent to CGC in an unbroken chain of custody with an affidavit to CGC. There are no other circumstances in which they will provide the yellow label certification.

That does not constitute a "gray area." It constitutes a well delineated starting and stopping point for their services. Anyone that wants a 3rd party authentication is free to get one. CGC does not provide that service. I for one, am glad, as 3rd party authentication opens Pandora's Box to all of the well documented problems with forgeries and scams in other collectibles markets.

Don't have James Spence do it. He would have to place his sticker directly on the comic. :eek: