• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Giant-Size X-Men #1 (PGX Deslabbed)

49 posts in this topic

Wow great looking book IRex!

+ no spine/binding chipping/tearing at the top or bottom (which seems common it the square binds I see from this era)

+ no color breaking creases

+ 3 of 4 very strong sharp corners

+ reading edge is sharp as hell with no chipping/denting/creasing

- looks like a couple of (I'm assuming) printer creases on the back cover bottom middle headed up. Non color breaking

- waviness along the back spine edge, dont know if this is just a production defect, or something they would downgrade you on.

- back cover slightly dirty (or is it just a shadow?) along the spine edge

- some blunting at front bottom left corner at the spine.

- small creasing at top at the end of the yellow "68 pages" stripe" (only visible via larger scan)

Great looking book overall.

tight grade to me would be 9.2, loose grade could go as high as 9.4 if the back cover issues are considered production defects.

Miraclemet- Thanks for the awesome input! That all really helps. There is actually a bit of a wave on the front and back cover. I think that this might be from being on a newstand when sold. I have spoken with JoeyPost an he thinks with a press it could go 9.0 or higher for sure. The back cover has some production creases and also some soiling. I think that is the keeping the grade down with the slight rounding you referred to. There also is some color breaking, i think. Or that could just be the book.

. The back cover has some production creases and also some soiling. I think that is the keeping the grade down with the slight rounding you referred to. There also is some color breaking, i think. Or that could just be the book.

ah that soiling must be what I thought might be some shadowing from the spine wave... CGC seems to frown on soiling. but with everything else being so nice Joeys right 9.0+ is a safe bet.

Is the color breaking you mention along the front cover spine (the long black line). I was wondering about that too, didnt know if that was just par for the production course with this book since it was square bound.

Miraclemet: There is some soiling along the spine on the back cover, the waves that you see are separate. The soiling seems pretty minimal. I have looked at some covers that have graded 9.8 and it seems that there is a tiny color break under the yellow box on the FC, usually.

I really do appreciate everyone's input on this. I was worried that I would get screwed on this because it was a PGX. Fingers crossed I don't!

Thank you everyone for the input. I looked through the pages quickly this morning, and I didn't see any coupon cutouts and it doesn't appear that the book is missing any pages. I'll have to do a more thorough count when I get home later. Just trying to remember the rule, If it is 68 pages of actual storyline, should there be 4 pages or 6 pages of ads?

Thank you everyone for the input. I looked through the pages quickly this morning, and I didn't see any coupon cutouts and it doesn't appear that the book is missing any pages. I'll have to do a more thorough count when I get home later. Just trying to remember the rule, If it is 68 pages of actual storyline, should there be 4 pages or 6 pages of ads?

I wouldn't worry about the page count - it's a square-bound. Any clippings or torn out pages would be obvious.

It could be whiter (it's a very white book). The dirt along the spine can easily be dry-cleaned, but the slight tanning along the BEBC is there to stay. The wave and printers' creases are not uncommon, but will slightly impact the grade.

Looks like a 9.0/9.2 to me . . . ;)

9.0 nice sellable copy liquid bronze as they say at the shows : a couple other BA keys to look for at shows in any complete grade

Marvel Spotlight 5

Green Lantern 76

Tomb of Dracula 10

All Star Western 10

ASM 129

Hulk 181

no real news there