• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Starlin's Warlock

7 posts in this topic

Although I’ve recently been trying to narrow my focus, every once in a while, I come across something else that is so memorable and meaningful, I can’t help myself. Today’s discussion is on the Starlin Warlock run. Ably inked by Alan Weiss, Steve Lealoia, and Mr. Starlin himself, this run captivated me in a cosmic, yet introspective, way unlike any other book of the time.

Warlock was first introduced as “Him” in Fantastic Four #66 in 1968. I think most of us recall that story (at least in general terms). He was bred to be a perfect warrior by a group called “The Enclave” that was planning grow a super powered army to take over the world (don’t they all?). Overhearing the bad guy’s plans while in his gestational cocoon, he somehow realized the difference between right and wrong. As a result, once he emerged from his cocoon, he rebelled and helped the FF defeat the Enclave. He went on to bump heads with Thor and Odin (that didn’t go so well for “Him”), and he generally disappeared after that battle, retreating to the safety of his cocoon. He was resurrected (literally) in 1972 with Marvel Premiere, given a name, “Warlock”, an emerald of power, and then shortly thereafter, his own book, as the hero to “New Earth”, a world created by the High Evolutionary. Written by Roy Thomas and ably drawn by Gil Kane, it wasn’t typical superhero fare. Sure, Warlock had super powers, and a mysterious “soul gem”, but his main villain was the Man-Beast, who brought nothing but evil to New Earth. Warlock was portrayed as the planet’s savior, even to the point of being crucified. Interesting concept, but it lasted only eight issues, and essentially ended with no real resolution for the character.

Then, with Strange Tales 178, Warlock was recast as a cosmic character in search of a purpose, a future and a soul. Written and penciled by Jim Starlin, the character was burdened with the increasingly mysterious soul gem, and floated his way through an ever darkening series of adventures. In retrospect, it was as close to seeing what Shakespeare, Ditko, and Timothy Leary would have done with the opportunity to work together on a graphic novel as any of us were likely to ever see. After 4 issues in Strange Tales, the saga continued back in his own book with issue 9, and finished up with issue 15. Warlock returned from time to time, with the story resolving most notably in Avengers Annual #7, and Marvel Two in One Annual #2.

That run introduced Gamora, Pip, and Death (of course she had been around for a while, but not as such an obvious character), and made Thanos the star he is today. The legendary battles with Thanos’ death wish continued into the Avengers and Starlin’s run on Captain Marvel.

That run is to be collected in a trade due out in the next couple of months. I can’t wait!! Warlock was cosmic and cool. If you could understand what was going on, you really “got it”. It had double and triple crosses, murder, self-doubt, angst, heroism, and fun. Nothing was as it seemed, and no less than the fate of the universe was at stake. That run, at least in part, defined the 70’s for many of us.

I’ve been looking for the “right” Warlock piece. I’ve seen some great ones in other people’s galleries, and come close from time to time on others, but held off until now. I’ve wanted something that screams out everything that was great about this book. And, I think I found it. To me, this cover represents everything that was great about this run. Warlock in agony, the universe at risk, and an evil clown overlooking the entire scene.

Yep, I said cover. Please take a look at the cover to Strange Tales 181: http://cafurl.com?i=18004

Thanks for stopping by, and, as always, feel free to comment or see if there is anything else that looks interesting.

Ron Sonenthal

Nothing puts a smile on my face more than primo Starlin art from the classic Capt. Marvel/Warlock run by Starlin. For those of us who were blowing our minds on this stuff in the 70's, it will always be THE touchstone storyline of the post Lee and Kirby Mavel age of comics. This is a great example. Congrats Ron, and welcome to the club!

Scott Williams

That's an extraordinary cover, congrats Ron! :applause: For me, Starlin's cosmic storylines literally took the Mavel Universe into galactuc proportions. Great art, compelling characters (especially Thanos!) and gripping tales made Starlin Warlock a big part of my 1970s must-reads.