• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, I just got my 1st CGG book...

83 posts in this topic

I sent Daniel an e-mail asking about this situation. His reply:

I just got done reading the thread. We did ship that book from our offices for this customer. We have shipped 20 or 25 books for customers that have requested we do so for one reason or another. Normally the customers return shipping information is put down on the shipping box, I imagine our address info was put down as we are used to putting our own info on our packages and it was missed by packaging as being a customers book being shipping to another person. Also we do not have a Paypal account and never have had a Paypal account. We will ship books for customers when asked and will accept 3rd party orders for customers that request it.

Jim

Interesting... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm reserving judgement. I'd love to hear CGG's side explained in full.

EDIT: cross-posted with the CGG email. I feel better about this now, but I think CGG might want to re-consider their participation in shipping books to submitters' customers. It suggests a level of participation in the selling of certified books that is troublesome.

I agree, and I told Daniel that. I'm a newcomer in the graded comics part of the hobby - quite simply, I know nothing about em (as you can tell). I was taken aback when I looked at the mailer and packing slip, and obviously that made me think they were possibly selling on ebay. When questions like this are raised, it cant be good to keep the policy that raised the questions.

Again, thanks for the info guys. Sorry for the trouble, and I hope to participate in a not so hotbutton issue in the future insane.gif

I still have one question about this.

Could someone walk me through the process of how you auction a book certified in a certain CGG grade before you receive it back from the company? I guess you can contact them and find out what the copy came in at or work out something with the pre-screening process. But where do you get the scan? Also from CGG? Or is the scan in the auction in question a stock image?

I admit I know little about the inner-workings of CGG. So far I know that they can ship books to third parties if it is requested.

I'd love to hear how all of this would work.

The book was sent out for someone who lives 1 mile or so away.

Funny how it's always someone that lives "1 mile or so away".

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why is this even a topic anymore?

How many times do they have to be busted?

"I did not...have "sexual relations" with that woman..."

If you're getting your sausage smoked, fess up and get on with your life.

sleeping.gif

The seller tells me he does not work for CGG, and says more than one person has asked him.

How would a seller get a scan of the book if it was sent from CGG to a buyer directly?

From all accounts it seems that CGG does a lot more for their customers than they should. Somehow they seem to be blurring the line of what is impartial and what isn't. By doing favors for customers they entangle themselves. Suppose the package sent from CGG is lost. Who is responsible for the contents? Would CGG refund the buyer? It's just a sticky situation they do not need to be involved in.

The seller tells me he does not work for CGG, and says more than one person has asked him.

How would a seller get a scan of the book if it was sent from CGG to a buyer directly?

From all accounts it seems that CGG does a lot more for their customers than they should. Somehow they seem to be blurring the line of what is impartial and what isn't. By doing favors for customers they entangle themselves. Suppose the package sent from CGG is lost. Who is responsible for the contents? Would CGG refund the buyer? It's just a sticky situation they do not need to be involved in.

I agree completely. CGG is probably trying to "go the extra mile" for their customers in an effort to gain more support, and business. Can't blame them for that, in fact I respect it. However, you are right, these favors do blur the lines somewhat of impartialality and can certainly lead to suspicion at times. ----Sid

We will ship books for customers when asked and will accept 3rd party orders for customers that request it.

I know it is tough to say no to customers when you are a growing business, but sometimes you have to think more on what's best for your company and public perception. I am curious about them accepting 3rd party orders though. Does that mean I could buy books and have the seller send them directly to the grading company for me, and thus help me avoid double shipping the books. 893applaud-thumb.gif That is idea I believe I can support if that is what they are saying. Especially if the seller is offering a guaranteed grade or guaranteed 'No Restoration' and is willing to back that up by sending them for grading, maybe even before getting payment. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So today for myself it appears to have been revealed one good idea and one iffy, kinda sucky idea. Drop the dud and continue on with the Stud. thumbsup2.gif

Bonds25 on this board also had a transaction with this seller.

I hope bonds25 comes on here to corroborate the seller's address 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

The transaction was so long ago that I don't think I have the information anymore, but I'll check when I get home.

Does anyone know if CGG has a policy regarding employees selling CGG books? confused-smiley-013.gif

I hear that they don't allow it, but modifying scans and assuming books from other customers aren't restored are ok.... insane.gif

Looks like I missed an interesting thread here...and, to quote JC:

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS

The book was sent out for someone who lives 1 mile or so away. He made it sound like the guy gets a lot of books graded and this was a first-time thing to make it easier on the customer.

TD and CGG back in business together again 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And here I thought the big problem would be that the "brand-new" CGG holder has an ugly scuff mark on it that makes the scan look like Khaos on Wednesday night...

I still can't decide whether it's worth going to the Eugene show the first weekend in June. CGG is a title sponsor of the show... Might be fun...

I still have one question about this.

Could someone walk me through the process of how you auction a book certified in a certain CGG grade before you receive it back from the company? I guess you can contact them and find out what the copy came in at or work out something with the pre-screening process. But where do you get the scan? Also from CGG? Or is the scan in the auction in question a stock image?

You just take a scan of your book and photoshop it into a CGG label foreheadslap.gif

I admit I know little about the inner-workings of CGG. So far I know that they can ship books to third parties if it is requested.

I'd love to hear how all of this would work.

Preferred customer: Hi, CGG. I'm sending in 10 books. I've presold 1 CGG 10.0, 2 9.9s and 7 9.8s to 'list of 10 names and addresses'. Could you please make it snappy and send these out from your mailroom? Thanks. Appreciate it much and by the way, the books are from a "one owner" collection (wink wink), so you needn't bother with the resto check. Yeah, uhmm the sooner you get them out, the better. Oh and I'll be out of town next week, so could you just sell my next batch of books and ship em out too. I know you have plenty of time cuz I'm your only customer, and you don't want to lose my business, regardless of how far I bend the rules and cross the line to the dark side...

foreheadslap.gif

And here I thought the big problem would be that the "brand-new" CGG holder has an ugly scuff mark on it that makes the scan look like Khaos on Wednesday night...

I still can't decide whether it's worth going to the Eugene show the first weekend in June. CGG is a title sponsor of the show... Might be fun...

Yeah make sure you are there when they unveil their new promo, Dynamic Forces First, where they implement and new bizarro grading scale where it is a 1.0 everyone is striving for and 10.0 is the new "Fair" tongue.gif

Preferred customer: Hi, CGG. I'm sending in 10 books. I've presold 1 CGG 10.0, 2 9.9s and 7 9.8s to 'list of 10 names and addresses'. Could you please make it snappy and send these out from your mailroom? Thanks. Appreciate it much and by the way, the books are from a "one owner" collection (wink wink), so you needn't bother with the resto check. Yeah, uhmm the sooner you get them out, the better. Oh and I'll be out of town next week, so could you just sell my next batch of books and ship em out too. I know you have plenty of time cuz I'm your only customer, and you don't want to lose my business, regardless of how far I bend the rules and cross the line to the dark side...foreheadslap.gif

Yeah, this is kinda what I was getting at... confused.gif

Leaving CGG out of this for the time being, we at least have a seller who is posting images in auctions that are not of the actual item for sale and who is not identifying them as stock images. This much is clear from how the book got from the seller's hands to Cuetipp if the Cuetipp's, the seller's, and CGG's accounts are believed. Unless of course CGG will provide customer's with scans of their submissions before they are returned.

Back to that Boy 33 - 2.0, 3.0 I don't think either grade is out of line. Despite the listed flaws it has decent eye-appeal for a low grade copy. I don't know that you can judge a companies grading ability on just one book. The real question for me is why anyone would slab a low grade Boy 33 in the first place? Even if they paid the original 10 cent cover price raw, they had to lose money on the deal.