• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recommendations Please

15 posts in this topic

I collected comic books in the late 60's and fortunately still have a lot of my old comics. Now in my late 50's, I have taken up an interest in the hobby again. I was wondering about recommendations about web sites, comic book dealers, etc. I know about Ebay and I have enjoyed purchasing from "thecomicmonster" who has a lot of autographed stuff from comic conventions. I am aware of Metropolis Comics (great vintage comics with just about everything, but not bargain priced). Heritage auctions is really cool, but again their big auctions contain items that are mostly beyond my budget. I am interested in a wide range of comics from super hero to horror. Do you have any recommendations as far as good Ebay sellers, good web sites etc? Thanks in advance........cheers......shadowman

I collected comic books in the late 60's and fortunately still have a lot of my old comics. Now in my late 50's, I have taken up an interest in the hobby again. I was wondering about recommendations about web sites, comic book dealers, etc. I know about Ebay and I have enjoyed purchasing from "thecomicmonster" who has a lot of autographed stuff from comic conventions. I am aware of Metropolis Comics (great vintage comics with just about everything, but not bargain priced). Heritage auctions is really cool, but again their big auctions contain items that are mostly beyond my budget. I am interested in a wide range of comics from super hero to horror. Do you have any recommendations as far as good Ebay sellers, good web sites etc? Thanks in advance........cheers......shadowman

Try ComicanaDirect - Flaming Telepath - I've used them for many years.

If you read these boards all your questions will be answered in a short time. This place is a wealth of info for the hobby.

I highly recommend the two below. Both exhibit tight grading, high integrity and are great to deal with

Comicana Direct

HighGradeComics.com

There are, of course many more and other will chime in with their favorites. I've also had wonderful experiences buying from GAcollectibles, thirdgreenham, and Kramerica

It also depends on what your focus is. If you only collect high grade books, then it's going to be a costly pastime, if you are on a budget, then you'll need to adjust your grade expectations accordingly.

Get yourself an Overstreet price guide, more for the information therein than the pricing, which can be somewhat off. I still find it a good resource for historical info, grading guide and as a rough price guide.

And ask questions on here. There will be plenty of willing experts chime in, (amongst the hazing and banter).

(thumbs u

All advice depends on your market (I'm in a small midwestern market, not a major city, so my situation is going to be different if you're near Nashville for example). Buy an Overstreet and get a GPA (http://comics.gpanalysis.com/) subscription if you plan on buying anything CGC (and you will eventually-trust me. I started coming here to sell my whole collection and got re-hooked into the hobby).

With Overstreet and GPA spend three months not buying anything. Watch the selling threads here in the range you're interested in, view every PGM (please grade my) thread (the differences in grading from the past to now will make you want to weep) and hang around in general to watch people flame out and make fools out of themselves.

You'll see a lot of stuff you want. Buy none of it. :) But make a list so you can look for it later when you figure out what's going on (and please clue me in). That's it, that's all I got.