• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paypal - Are you F$$$$G kidding me

74 posts in this topic

The same thing happened to me six months ago. I made the agent cry over the phone. It was a good night.

You know, most of those agents are in their first serious job, and just trying to make their way into a company by going down this career path. I always try and remember this when calling in.

They didn't make the policies. But with the right conversation, many also know how to get around the annoying policies over time as they hate them as well because they take the brunt of the client hate. A corporate executive signed off on this stuff that disrupts everyone's day - not the call rep.

Just saying. :foryou:

The same thing happened to me six months ago. I made the agent cry over the phone. It was a good night.

You know, most of those agents are in their first serious job, and just trying to make their way into a company by going down this career path. I always try and remember this when calling in.

They didn't make the policies. But with the right conversation, many also know how to get around the annoying policies over time as they hate them as well because they take the brunt of the client hate. A corporate executive signed off on this stuff that disrupts everyone's day - not the call rep.

(thumbs u

Yup...don't shoot the messenger.

When I sold almost all of my books to buy my Mustang back in Nov-Dec 2010, Paypal locked my account due to the amount of funds coming in. I spent probably 20 hours on the phone trying to work it out as they had frozen about 4 grand and would not let me access it. They chose to do this simply out of the blue...and I had been a customer for 10 years. They quizzed me as to what I was doing, what I was selling, and what the funds were going to be used for. Even though I had dealt with EBay and them for years, and had never had an issue, they chose to rattle my cage just for grins and giggles. I now have a limited account and have chosen to not pursue it any longer. I hate, despise, loathe them. If their company imploded tomorrow it would be just desserts. I will now step down off of my soapbox.

Anyone wanna bet the government (IRS or Home Land Security) is pressuring any and all funds transferring institutions to crack down when ever more than a few grand is being moved?

That's my guess, it's a homeland security issue. I don't sell all that much on eBay any more, but I use their postage printing service when I do, and you have to have tracking that way. If I happen to print something using the USPS site, I just enter the numbers.

I'm sure they are being audited, and that's why they are asking all the questions. I know I was asked for my SS # earlier this year, I figured I'd just give it to them, saves headaches if I am able to use the service.

It would be VERY easy to launder money using Paypal, especially with their Personal Payment thing, and I'm sure they are a big BLIP on the Homeland Security radar screen.

I also ask for checks whenever possible, to avoid using them, but it's not always practical. for the buyer.

That's just mean

Sounds like Paypal needs tougher reps.

where in boston are you? i always post after you and it's driving me nuts lol

Chelmsford. Where are you?

jamaica plain - in the past I've travelled to Chelmsford for quite a few trainings/meetings (used to work for a DYS program - they have their NE offices there)

I grew up in Saugus and spent my twenties in Malden. Every weekend was basically a three day bender in Fanuiel Hall. Ah, the good old days... :cloud9:

After all the spams I get regarding paypal I logged in today to find that my account is now limited.

Paypal is now requesting tracking numbers on 12 of my last transactions. I normally do not use delivery confirmation for every ebay delivery but I would find this very annoying if I had to.

Supplier information - Paypal wants my supplier information? Really, Are you serious?

Bank Statements - 3 months worth? Again, Really? I have been a business for years. My credit card processor doesn't ask me for this information, why is paypal?

I can't wait to talk to the agent reviewing my account tomorrow.

Sorry about you having to deal with this, Bob. I have a couple of clients in precious metals that went through very similar "audits." They refused to give up the information, had their money held for 90-120 days (per the user agreement) and have closed up their Ebay shops as a result.

CRIMINEY, this is probably right around the corner for us. We mostly use my wife's paypal, so she's frequently sending a chunk of our intake over to my account as a fee-less gift so that I can deposit it into my bank account. No doubt paypal will question these transactions and require us to provide our marriage license or something, a copy of the wedding video, proof of confirmation of the marriage (well, we do have 2 kids, so maybe DNA testing...)

The more I read, the more stressed out I am. The last 2 months we've been doing four digits/mo after having done $100-$200 a month for a long time other than when I'd occasionally sell here once or twice a year. They'll probably decide we're a drug cartel or something.

CRIMINEY, this is probably right around the corner for us. We mostly use my wife's paypal, so she's frequently sending a chunk of our intake over to my account as a fee-less gift so that I can deposit it into my bank account. No doubt paypal will question these transactions and require us to provide our marriage license or something, a copy of the wedding video, proof of confirmation of the marriage (well, we do have 2 kids, so maybe DNA testing...)

Maybe not. In both of the situations I was involved in, there was an intricate confidence scam that was employed by the Buyers. They originally provided confirmed shipping addresses. Then they called the dealers and said they would be in town and wanted to pick the items up. The Paypal had already cleared, so the dealers thought, "no big deal." Once they picked up the items, they immediately filed a chargeback on the Paypal, and Paypal sided with them, initially, because the dealers had not used the approved shipping methods that provide the "Seller Protection." TM

It was the initial investigation that flagged the account, and the amount of dollars going through the account led to them doing one of their full blown account audits. The scammers got several hundred thousand dollars in gold coins and bullion before the ring was shut down, and they got their Paypal money out and were gone like the wind. Some of these scammers could probably really make the world a better place if they used their talent and creativity for good instead of evil.

Paypal is the same as MC/Visa/AMEX to me.

My merchant services provider does not ask me for my supplier's names.

My merchant services provider hasn't asked me for my last 3 bank statements.

This feels more like the IRS than a merchant service provider.

Paypal is the same as MC/Visa/AMEX to me.

My merchant services provider does not ask me for my supplier's names.

My merchant services provider hasn't asked me for my last 3 bank statements.

This feels more like the IRS than a merchant service provider.

Reminds me of Dr. Jellyfinger telling you, "You may feel some slight pressure . . ."

Paypal member since 2000 with hundreds upon hundreds of transactions in my previous business, and they gave me this BS about 6 months ago, and they still hold my funds. I call them up the same day my DC shows delivery and ride those little call center foreigners hard and keep 'em sputtering out fragmented English explanations to why they still have my money.

Paypal sucks, but I have no choice to use it. So I make sure that I do my part and ruin someone's day there every time I have a transaction. Worth it.

Yeah but what other form of payment can regular people use? If I sell stuff here on the boards or on Ebay you have to take Paypal. Nobody is going to send you a cashiers check for a $1,000 book. They have regular people by the nards. :pullhair:

doesn't microsoft have a payment service?

i see chase running an ad for a phone app that lets you send money to other people's bank account so long as you have their cell # (which the bank links to the account i assume)..dunno if everyone needs to be with chase for that to work. this will become standard pretty quickly. visa/MC will probably do the same soon.

the paypal monopoly (if there ever was one) is probably going to be over soon.

Simple truth is....you are using a service and you don't have to use their service if you choose not to do so.

No fan of PayPal by any stretch. Trust me I've seen first hand how they can impact a small business that relies too heavily upon them.

Except that if you use ebay you are required to accept paypal.

Maybe not. In both of the situations I was involved in, there was an intricate confidence scam that was employed by the Buyers. They originally provided confirmed shipping addresses. Then they called the dealers and said they would be in town and wanted to pick the items up. The Paypal had already cleared, so the dealers thought, "no big deal." Once they picked up the items, they immediately filed a chargeback on the Paypal, and Paypal sided with them, initially, because the dealers had not used the approved shipping methods that provide the "Seller Protection." TM

It was the initial investigation that flagged the account, and the amount of dollars going through the account led to them doing one of their full blown account audits. The scammers got several hundred thousand dollars in gold coins and bullion before the ring was shut down, and they got their Paypal money out and were gone like the wind. Some of these scammers could probably really make the world a better place if they used their talent and creativity for good instead of evil.

this is why i am always loathe to allow a pick-up or anything along those lines.

Simple truth is....you are using a service and you don't have to use their service if you choose not to do so.

No fan of PayPal by any stretch. Trust me I've seen first hand how they can impact a small business that relies too heavily upon them.

Except that if you use ebay you are required to accept paypal.

Sounds like a monopoly to me :/