• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on Aquaman #1?

47 posts in this topic

Because Aquaman is lame! (shrug)

um... "Every [Aquaman] collection,from the most valuable Golden age,to the readiest of reading copy Moderns,is assembled with care and thought,and is worthy of respect because of it,if for no other reason."

OK,OK,your right sheesh. :taptaptap:

you're

;)

I was gonna let it slide...stickler.

um... "Every [Aquaman] collection,from the most valuable Golden age,to the readiest of reading copy Moderns,is assembled with care and thought,and is worthy of respect because of it,if for no other reason."

OK,OK,you're right sheesh. :taptaptap:

you're

;)

Sheesh! doh!

Thanks guys for all the insight. I normally don't collect DC Comics, as much as I should (except for horror), but this issue for some reason interested me. Think about it, how many first issues of a fairly popular character from 1962 are highly affordable in 9.0 or 9.2 grade? This really caught my attention. Maybe I am completely wrong, I don't know.

This isn't even close to his first appearance though. Hulk 1, FF 1, x-men 1, are all firsts. Asm 1 is a 2nd, JLA 1 and green lantern 1 are what, the 4th?

Try finding a more fun comics 73 in any condition for cheap. I think this is more similar to iron man 1 being affordable compared to tales of suspense 39.

The interesting thing about Aquaman 1 is that it came out approximately 21 years after his 1st app. in More Fun 73. I never understood why it took so long for DC to even give Aquaman a tryout in Showcase 30.

The interesting thing about Aquaman 1 is that it came out approximately 21 years after his 1st app. in More Fun 73. I never understood why it took so long for DC to even give Aquaman a tryout in Showcase 30.

Hence my first post in this thread. :whistle:

Other than not being that scarce of a book I've always thought that part of the lack of popularity it suffers stems from the fact that it doesn't have the dynamic layout of most of the #1 issues from the same time period. I'm a huge fan of Nick Cardy but this cover just doesn't have the appeal of most first issues.

Cardy was being directed from on high in terms of content and layout, and was basically limited to depicting a story point, rather than being allowed to compose for himself (standard practice for DC covers in that era). There's no comparison between the earlier covers and what he did once they gave him a bit of room to breathe.

I'm not laying blame on Cardy at all. I'm just saying that this cover doesn't have the feel of the traditional #1 from the time.

Don't see why you'd go after a non-first appearance first issue of a 3rd-tier character (Aquaman, The Atom), compared to other options.

Like Brave & Bold 54 or even Silver Age Batman villain keys like Lois Lane 70, Batman 171, 181, or 189. Not saying these are comparable, money-wise; I just think they all have greater long-term demand potential than Aquaman 1.

I never understood why it took so long for DC to even give Aquaman a tryout in Showcase 30.

There was no need for a tryout in terms of making it a re-introduction to a new audience. Aquaman appeared continuously from the Golden Age through the Silver Age. In fact, his run in Adventure Comics was still going (just barely, but still) when Showcase #30 came out.

His series ran in:

More Fun 73-107 (November 1941 - Jan/Feb 1946)

Adventure Comics 103-284 (April 1946 - May 1961)

Meanwhile, Showcase #30-32 are cover-dated Jan/Feb 1961 through May/June 1961.

Interestingly, it looks like there are at least a couple of skips near the end of the Adventure run that roughly correspond with the emergence in Showcase. I wonder if they repurposed some stories meant for Adventure to appear in Showcase instead. Seems somewhat likely. Since he was a known quantity to the audience, perhaps the idea here was to see if he would sell as a cover/title feature (a bit like Lois Lane in that sense, I suppose).

Regardless, since Aquaman 1 is dated Jan/Feb 1962 (6 months after the Showcase apps) he has a very solid string appearances 1941-1971. Not too bad, and better than a lot of major characters.

I thank you for all your help and advice. Actually, Aquaman #1 was not originally on any of my 'want lists.' He is however, on my 'watch' list. This is why I inquired. This board is always full of knowledge, and I greatly appreciate that.

Sincerely,

'mint'

OK,OK,your right sheesh. :taptaptap:

you're

;)

I probably would have too had it been anyone other than Oakland. :banana:

no, it's not undervalued. the most recent 9.2 went for $3k on clink (which was 25% higher then more recent sales). there are plenty of HG copies around if you can live w/ a 9.2. a 9.4 is going to set up back $6k which ain't cheap for a third tier DC character.

No, I wouldn't say Aquaman 1 is undervalued. In general #1 issues are much easier to find than #2 issues yet despite this the #1 issues fetch prices that are some multiple of those the #2 issues fetch.

Moreover, Aquaman's Showcase appearances are also much tougher to find than Aquaman 1 yet even Showcase 30 sells for less than Aquaman 1.

Here are my copies of the aforementioned issues:

Showcase30.jpg

Showcase31.jpg

Showcase32.jpg

Showcase33.jpg

Aquaman1.jpg

Aquaman2.jpg

It took me over 25 years to find a really nice copy of #2 but I finally got one at a show here in Toronto from Superworld of Worcester, Massachusetts.

:preach:

Aquaman was a top 10 comic this January and outsold every Marvel comic for the month.

Three more points in Aquaman's favour:

1. Aquaman was one of the very few heroes who continued to be published from the Golden Age right on through to the Silver Age. Meanwhile, heroes as puissant/popular as the Flash, Green Lantern, Spectre, Doctor Fate, Captain America, Sub-Mariner, etc., etc. all expired when the curtain came down on the Golden Age.

2. One of the very first TV cartoon shows devoted to superheroes was the Superman-Aquaman Hour of Adventure. I'd say that's pretty good company for any pop culture hero.

3. He's very popular with super hot redheads:

AMera.jpg

:cool:

no, it's not undervalued. the most recent 9.2 went for $3k on clink (which was 25% higher then more recent sales). there are plenty of HG copies around if you can live w/ a 9.2. a 9.4 is going to set up back $6k which ain't cheap for a third tier DC character.

No, I wouldn't say Aquaman 1 is undervalued. In general #1 issues are much easier to find than #2 issues yet despite this the #1 issues fetch prices that are some multiple of those the #2 issues fetch.

Moreover, Aquaman's Showcase appearances are also much tougher to find than Aquaman 1 yet even Showcase 30 sells for less than Aquaman 1.

It took me over 25 years to find a really nice copy of #2 but I finally got one at a show here in Toronto from Superworld of Worcester, Massachusetts.

:preach:

I find it interesting that Aquaman is bucking the trend of #1 issues in title being worth less than an earlier appearance in Showcase. For The Flash, Adam Strange and the Space Ranger, and probably others, the first appearance in the Showcase title is worth more, but not for Aquaman. This make me think Showcase # 30 is likely to appreciate in value more than Aquaman #1.

Don't see why you'd go after a non-first appearance first issue of a 3rd-tier character (Aquaman, The Atom), compared to other options.

Like Brave & Bold 54 or even Silver Age Batman villain keys like Lois Lane 70, Batman 171, 181, or 189. Not saying these are comparable, money-wise; I just think they all have greater long-term demand potential than Aquaman 1.

Hello Gatsy,

First, let me address you on one main point. You stated on another forum that I am 'an antiques guy' and this is why I have a 'disdain' of things post 1980. Just to set the record straight, I am a part time 'picker' (along with having a full time career) and most of the items I deal in are from 1970 and up (80% or more). I wanted to get that out of the way so you have a better understanding of my perspective. I also do NOT have a 'disdain' for any collectible! Most are just over-valued right now. That being said, that would be a discussion for another day.

To address your question directly, the books you mentioned are key books with a lot of potential. The problem I have with them is that compared to 'Aquaman #1' or some of the lesser known Marvel semi-keys; these books already show very generous 'spikes' in price over the last few years. This is why I do not consider them 'good' buys at present time. You are welcome to disagree.

I believe Warren Buffet said it best; 'Price is what you pay; value is what you get."

Sincerely,

'mint'

Take a look at the last CL auction. If my memory serves me correctly, Showcase 30 CGC 9.2 went for more than the CGC Aquaman 9.2. Both books are awesome nevertheless.

Showcase #30 $3600, Aquaman #1 $3000

As someone mentioned, Aquaman was published continuously since the Golden Age. With that being the case, the Showcase #30 and Aquaman #1 have much less significance than other books like Showcase #22, Showcase #37 (1st Metal Men), Brave & the Bold #34, etc.

I believe this is correct, Aquaman went from More Fun Comics to Adventure Comics (backup stories which continued until they moved to Detective Comics) to Brave & the Bold #28 - 30 to Justice League to Detective Comics and finally to Aquaman.

When you look at it in this context, the significance of both issues is greatly reduced, which is why they don't bring huge money. Most of the value they do have is that almost all DCs from this time period are very tough in grade and they are semi key issues.