• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A weird idea for a new CGC label...

12 posts in this topic

Black Label.

:insane:

Now before you accuse me of being drunk, let me explain.

This was a thought that came out of viewing many books on here that would be followed by the statement.. "That really looks nice for a 6.0!"

So I started thinking, what if there were a label that would reflect overall 'eye appeal' of a book in a grade range from (1.0) 2.0 to 9.0?

It would still be assigned into the Universal category, but the Black Label would make it note-worthy that the book didn't look like it would normally fit into the graded category.

Of course there would be some relevant grading notes printed on the label such as hidden exterior or interior defects.

(A label that would denote "Exceptional Eye Appeal", more or less)

I had a Tomb of Dracula 9.0 that looked like it should've been at least a 9.6 based on eye appeal but when I called for grading notes, I was told that there were small 'sticker spots' on the BC... I couldn't really see them.

This is sort of how a different Universal label might be applied.

:shrug:

I fully understand that this is full of holes and flaws but it sort of bounces off the idea of a second tier of grading within grading...

Sort of like what CAC does for coins.

Okay, I guess now I can get back to my drink... :)

Just an idea.

Black Label.

Now before you accuse me of being drunk, let me explain.

This was a thought that came out of viewing many books on here that would be followed by the statement.. "That really looks nice for a 6.0!"

So I started thinking, what if there were a label that would reflect overall 'eye appeal' of a book in a grade range from (1.0) 2.0 to 9.0?

It would still be assigned into the Universal category, but the Black Label would make it note-worthy that the book didn't look like it would normally fit into the graded category.

Of course there would be some relevant grading notes printed on the label such as hidden exterior or interior defects.

(A label that would denote "Exceptional Eye Appeal", more or less)

I had a Tomb of Dracula 9.0 that looked like it should've been at least a 9.6 based on eye appeal but when I called for grading notes, I was told that there were small 'sticker spots' on the BC... I couldn't really see them.

This is sort of how a different Universal label might be applied.

:shrug:

I fully understand that this is full of holes and flaws but it sort of bounces off the idea of a second tier of grading within grading...

Sort of like what CAC does for coins.

Okay, I guess now I can get back to my drink... :)

Just an idea.

hm So we'd call it a BLOD??

I want CGC to grade comic books the way figure skaters used to be graded - technical merit, artistic expression and required elements. All three grades go on the label next to the overall grade

They don't have to start today, because it's the weekend. The change should start tomorrow.

Thanks.

It think that books need to be graded on a complete system of individual grader subjective preferences.

Don't like Daredevil much, oops, that 9.8 just became a 6.5.

Liefeld is a mess artist, that 9.8 just became a 7.

My wife just busted my balls, that 8.5 just became a 2.

By eliminating any type of objective grading criteria and only allowing CGC to determine every facet of a books existence, I would then be able to drink heavily and not have to rely on my judgement, which will probably be impaired. :wishluck:

It think that books need to be graded on a complete system of individual grader subjective preferences.

Don't like Daredevil much, oops, that 9.8 just became a 6.5.

Liefeld is a mess artist, that 9.8 just became a 7.

My wife just busted my balls, that 8.5 just became a 2.

By eliminating any type of objective grading criteria and only allowing CGC to determine every facet of a books existence, I would then be able to drink heavily and not have to rely on my judgement, which will probably be impaired. :wishluck:

lol Good point...

Who started this thread anyways?

Yeesh!