• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I being unreasonable/ an a**hole for leaving negative

57 posts in this topic

I bought 5 books on eBay in "nm" condition from a very large dealer w/ 100% feedback. I felt comfortable due to the rating. When I got the books one had a 2" stain going through the back cover into most of the book, there were edge tears, creases, multiple large spine dings/ crease, and the books were literally dirty (you know that gritty feel when you touch comics stored in garages etc.) The books arrive in a legal envelope between two thin pieces of cardboard.

I notified the seller that the books were worthless and outside the standards for my collection. I can find these for 25 cents each at the lcs in this grade. He did offer a partial refund or return for a full refund. I let him know that I didn't want either. Part of the reason I felt wasted my time and even if I got all the money I still would need to go out get packing material and drive down to the post office and waste more of my time.

I figured I would chalk it up to another ebay loss and forget about it.

Couple days later looking at the books I thought about how many others buy based on the feedback and then are disappointed like I was and never do anything about. So I neg'd him. I got another email asking to remove the feedback and he would give me a full refund and allow me to keep the books. Its been a couple days and I haven't responded.

I realize that this is how most dealers maintain their feedback at 100% and lure more buyers in. At this point I am inclined to leave the feedback as is so other potential buyers can know that his grading can be off rather than take the money. As a buyer I look at the negs to see what past problems may arise if I buy something. To wipe a record clean for a few bucks seems wrong.

Has anyone else taken a "hit" on eBay and left honest feedback as is to notify potential buyers?

I've left a neutral, for the sake of warning buyers, rather than punishing the seller. Of course, this item was advertised as being from the '40s, with a clear copyright of 1978 and the seller's response was "I didn't really look at it. That's what it said on it when I bought it." Probably neutral was better than he deserved. :)

well if he offered a full refund and you couldnt be bothered to send it back why should you neg him when he tried to right the wrongs, you just being lazy and a miserable git has ruined his 100% which dont bother you but maybe him!!

Just had the same situation with a seller on Ebay...I bought some early X men he sent me 1 book that was water damaged which he listed as Fine. A couple other were trimmed and a hack job at that, The worst part is he has other listings now for the same books at the same grades. I think he tried to pass off some junk on me.

I mailed an told him I want a refund maybe after I get my $$$ I will ding him with a neg. Because he deserves it and I would'nt buy from him in the future

well if he offered a full refund and you couldnt be bothered to send it back why should you neg him when he tried to right the wrongs, you just being lazy and a miserable git has ruined his 100% which dont bother you but maybe him!!

Because some folks knowingly over grade / over price / omit resto disclosure, and offer a good return policy. They hope that most people won't be bothered enough or know enough to complain, and that those who would, will avail themselves of the return policy. Thus you get dishonesty with 100% positive feedback.

You can leave a positive that says something to the line of:

Overgraded POS but seller refunded money.

In the item as described section give him 1 star.

Simple.

Or a neutral with the same notes. If it wasn't positive, don't give it a positive.

You can leave a positive that says something to the line of:

Overgraded POS but seller refunded money.

In the item as described section give him 1 star.

Simple.

The problem I see with this as a neg can easily be found and read as the sellers feedback allows you to do this. A positive gets lost/ buried and unless you go through pages of feedback you will not see it.

If these were VF I would leave a positive w/ a description if 3 out of four were in VF I may do the same these were just cr@p. I spent $20.00 on $1.25 worth of books. Definitely not a lot of money but this adds up if the seller continually overgrades and people say and do nothing.

wow are you off :facepalm:

so you are ok with him misrepresenting his books and then can in essence buy the silence of the bidder so other bidders are unaware of how he does business, or buy the positive feedback :screwy:

now i don't agree with the negative but a neutral would have been more aporitate

i had the same thing, book arrived damage, said i could have a refund and keep the book (which i did), left a neutral about his shipping which was how it got damaged but that he gave the refund and let me keep the book (made things right)

get an email about taking away the neutral bc we were square and he let me keep the book.....told him that just bc he made it right doesn't mean an auto positive bc he did screw up the shipping, sent him back the book and the envelope (had a feeling this would happen) so he couldn't person_without_enough_empathy anymore

if it wasn't for being bent in the mail bc he put 1 piece of cardboard and the book wasn't even taped to the cardboard and was loss in envelope, it would have been as described.......only did his shipping at 1 star the rest were 5 stars

Because some folks knowingly over grade / over price / omit resto disclosure, and offer a good return policy. They hope that most people won't be bothered enough or know enough to complain, and that those who would, will avail themselves of the return policy. Thus you get dishonesty with 100% positive feedback.

How do you know that is what happened in this situation though?

I'd give the seller the benefit of the doubt. I used to be a nazi about leaving negative feedback on ebay. I once bought a used dvd from a large dvd store on ebay that had an awesome refund policy. The dvd wasn't scratched but warped and would not play. I left negative feedback instead of asking for the refund and I regretted it later. I felt like I didn't give the seller the benefit of the doubt. He ran a large store and mistakes happen.

I believe the argument is that the seller sent books that were little more than fodder. The negative is in response to his initial business practice not whether or not the seller felt compelled into offering a full refund without a return.

I think it was a fair response.

wow are you off :facepalm:

so you are ok with him misrepresenting his books and then can in essence buy the silence of the bidder so other bidders are unaware of how he does business, or buy the positive feedback :screwy:

now i don't agree with the negative but a neutral would have been more aporitate

i had the same thing, book arrived damage, said i could have a refund and keep the book (which i did), left a neutral about his shipping which was how it got damaged but that he gave the refund and let me keep the book (made things right)

get an email about taking away the neutral bc we were square and he let me keep the book.....told him that just bc he made it right doesn't mean an auto positive bc he did screw up the shipping, sent him back the book and the envelope (had a feeling this would happen) so he couldn't person_without_enough_empathy anymore

if it wasn't for being bent in the mail bc he put 1 piece of cardboard and the book wasn't even taped to the cardboard and was loss in envelope, it would have been as described.......only did his shipping at 1 star the rest were 5 stars

Your lesson and logic are spot on! :applause:

Unfortunately your grammar needs work. :facepalm: