• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"The Wolverine" Gets Official Release Date

75 posts in this topic

I swear on all things holy, if they screw up the beloved limited series story...

We'll all submit less copies into CGC?

Crazy, crazy stats... For a while there I contributed to the mass subs of issue #1. I think I subbed about one 9.4, eight 9.6s, and one 9.8 over the course of 2 years. And that's not even counting the 30 or so VF to NM- copies I acquired during that time. Supply is going to kill the price of that book. It's been happening already. You can barely get OSPG NM- (9.2) prices for a CGC 9.6...

But then I see LCSs and dealers somehow get $80.00 or so for less than NM-- copies, so go figure. (shrug)

I swear on all things holy, if they screw up the beloved limited series story...

We'll all submit less copies into CGC?

Crazy, crazy stats... For a while there I contributed to the mass subs of issue #1. I think I subbed about one 9.4, eight 9.6s, and one 9.8 over the course of 2 years. And that's not even counting the 30 or so VF to NM- copies I acquired during that time. Supply is going to kill the price of that book. It's been happening already. You can barely get OSPG NM- (9.2) prices for a CGC 9.6...

But then I see LCSs and dealers somehow get $80.00 or so for less than NM-- copies, so go figure. (shrug)

:gossip: I know one book you could sell to me. :baiting:

You really don't want Bai Ling, she's a mess.

Hot mess? I'm totally ok with a hot mess.

Not even a hot mess.

Agreed. It would add a "skank factor" to Yukio that I don't remember from the mini or X-men 172 (a favorite).

Unfortunately, that limited series started the character down the path of ruination :(

You might be the only one who thinks that. Wolverine was pretty one-dimensional before that limited series. Bryne helped flesh out some details during his Uncanny run, but it wasn't until the limited series that he actually developed an interesting backstory to bolster his personality.

Have you read GSX1 through Uncanny 130? He acts like Fonzie with claws.

I disagree. Back in the day, they wanted you to think that Wolvie was only one dimensional, but they let out little tidbits every once in a while. The one that hit me when I was a little kid was when he tells Ororo that he was going out hunting (I think deer). She is mortified and asks how he could kill Bambi. He says " I said huntin' didn't say anything about killing."

That really stuck with me, that he had a code of honor under there. I do think appending the bushido warrior backstory on Wolverine was cool, but Fonzie with claws, I'm not buying.

You really don't want Bai Ling, she's a mess.

Hot mess? I'm totally ok with a hot mess.

Not even a hot mess.

Agreed. It would add a "skank factor" to Yukio that I don't remember from the mini or X-men 172 (a favorite).

She was trying to Logan to put out the whole time he was in Japan, and she was even open to gettin' it on on the train tracks! Combined with an obsessive deathwish, that girl is candidate number one for the Hottest Messiest Skankerific Bad@ss in Wolverine's rogues gallery of hot chicks. 2c

Unfortunately, that limited series started the character down the path of ruination :(

You might be the only one who thinks that. Wolverine was pretty one-dimensional before that limited series. Bryne helped flesh out some details during his Uncanny run, but it wasn't until the limited series that he actually developed an interesting backstory to bolster his personality.

I'm not the only one who thinks that, we'll have to agree to disagree. You prefer the failed samurai who can turn his beserker rages on and off like a light switch. I prefer the ticking time bomb who was just as likely to lash out at one of his teamates as he was an enemy. That's what made the character cool and different. The other stuff is just layered on garbage, just like they did with Magneto :(

I disagree. Back in the day, they wanted you to think that Wolvie was only one dimensional, but they let out little tidbits every once in a while. The one that hit me when I was a little kid was when he tells Ororo that he was going out hunting (I think deer). She is mortified and asks how he could kill Bambi. He says " I said huntin' didn't say anything about killing."

That really stuck with me, that he had a code of honor under there. I do think appending the bushido warrior backstory on Wolverine was cool, but Fonzie with claws, I'm not buying.

Simplifying things a little but back in the day:

Claremont/Cockrum - Wolverine was one dimensional and boorish.

Claremont/Byrne - Wolverine became a much more enigmatic and interesting character.

Agreed. The collest thing about the character was the mystery..the not knowing. Getting the little bits and pieces, but never being able to put the entire picture together. Once that mini came out, followed by all the other barnacles, the character lost his edge IMHO.

As an aside...I liked some of the stories that helped ruin the character. BWS on Weapon X was very interesting with excellent art. I just wish it had never been done :insane:

Simplifying things a little but back in the day:

Claremont/Cockrum - Wolverine was one dimensional and boorish.

Claremont/Byrne - Wolverine became a much more enigmatic and interesting character.

Reading several interviews, it becomes clear that Claremont and Cockrum had no idea what to do with the character and were ready to write him out of the book. Reading the fan letters from those early issues it appears the fans hated him as well.

Agreed. The collest thing about the character was the mystery..the not knowing. Getting the little bits and pieces, but never being able to put the entire picture together. Once that mini came out, followed by all the other barnacles, the character lost his edge IMHO.

As an aside...I liked some of the stories that helped ruin the character. BWS on Weapon X was very interesting with excellent art. I just wish it had never been done :insane:

The Limited Series and Weapon X ruined the Wolverine character? Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I do believe I'm being trolled.

Reading several interviews, it becomes clear that Claremont and Cockrum had no idea what to do with the character and were ready to write him out of the book. Reading the fan letters from those early issues it appears the fans hated him as well.

Hated his one-dimensional Fonzie-with-claws character? No way.

Your perspective is different because you read those books at an older age. Once Byrne got in the mix, he became an engaging character and the mystery was a big part of it. Neither Weapon X nor Origins paid off for some because the authors could not do justice to the mystery itself.

Your perspective is different because you read those books at an older age. Once Byrne got in the mix, he became an engaging character and the mystery was a big part of it. Neither Weapon X nor Origins paid off for some because the authors could not do justice to the mystery itself.

I read those back in the 80's - I was only 10-11, so it took me awhile to get the limited series (I blew my allowance on #1 in a silent auction in 1984), and I wasn't buying Uncanny until the 160s or so. He was an interesting character then, and up until the "bone claw" incident in the mid-90s.

To say that he could have been the way he was written is not that realistic. Bryne could have kept him mysterious for only so long. In the 80's, everyone loved Wolverine, and people bought his crossover books. Even in my early teens I was wanting more about him to be revealed.

I read those back in the 80's - I was only 10-11, so it took me awhile to get the limited series (I blew my allowance on #1 in a silent auction in 1984), and I wasn't buying Uncanny until the 160s or so. He was an interesting character then, and up until the "bone claw" incident in the mid-90s.

To say that he could have been the way he was written is not that realistic. Bryne could have kept him mysterious for only so long. In the 80's, everyone loved Wolverine, and people bought his crossover books. Even in my early teens I was wanting more about him to be revealed.

That's right. Everyone wanted more to be revealed. And just like when Dave and Maddie boned on Moonlighting, it couldn't live up to the anticipated build up. At least for some people. I don't think there is any right or wrong, but I think that some of the Origin stuff is epic fail (like Origins which I really don't acknowledge) and some is just headscratching, like the Romulus stuff from a couple of years ago.

That's right. Everyone wanted more to be revealed. And just like when Dave and Maddie boned on Moonlighting, it couldn't live up to the anticipated build up. At least for some people. I don't think there is any right or wrong, but I think that some of the Origin stuff is epic fail (like Origins which I really don't acknowledge) and some is just headscratching, like the Romulus stuff from a couple of years ago.

The Origin books were not very good. I bought the run of Origins, and was a little surprised at the revelations in there.

While it's politically correct to say everyone is entitled to their opinion, I still believe that saying those two stories *ruined* the character puts you in a teenie, tiny, itsy-bitsy minority that can only be described by putting my thumb and forefinger together very closely.

It's a little like someone saying they like the Captain Picard from season 1 - who comes off as a stodgy old man - is better than the polished character we see in seasons 2-7, and that they *ruined* him by fleshing him out. You don't hear that too often.

I guess the best way to approach a widely-written character like Wolverine is to find those eras that we like. Fortunately, mine runs from the limited series in 1982 up to Wolverine 75 in 1993, when he puts on his Fonzie jacket, hops on his motorcycle and waves goodbye to Jubilee.

X-Men 109.

Yeah, Wolvie was great when Byrne was helping flesh his character out, because Byrne actually cared about how he was being portrayed and wanted him to be this half-crazy, half-military badassmofo who might just flip and shish kebab somebody who looked at him wrong.

It didn't hurt that his powers were more human scaled and imperfect, and his shadowy backstory gave him dimension. His healing factor wasn't taken to the nigh-godlike realm now, and he could actually get hurt and need some recuperation time from bad injuries, which helped the reader invest in the character's well-being. If his healing factor lets him regenerate from a single cell or whatever stupid nonsense they're pushing nowadays, there's no sense of danger and his appeal drops down to the early teen fanboy stage of reading