• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is ebay userId barksducksuo=Donovan Elliot (restoration professional from CGG)??

121 posts in this topic

PLEASE NOTE CGG = comicgradinggroup, an entirely different company from CGC (Comics Guaranty, LLC).

In regard to the recent post titled, one small step..... for CGG, I have this response that I thought it was worthy of a new thread.

I have had some positive as well as not so positive comic book transactions with a gentleman that furnished the name of Ryan Elliott located in Eugene, OR area.

The positive transactions included several early DC books that had the correct inside, but had a RED CIRCLE or BLAZING COMICS cover in place of the correct cover. The story was these were left overs that the publisher ran out of the correct covers. The transaction was exactly as advertised and went very smoothly with no issues.

The not so positive transactions include several early daredevil books that were grossly over graded from their advertised NM condition and contained very cream and brittle pages (again also not as advertised).

This seller went user the ebayId of the now infamous barksducksuo. This seller was also noteworthy for his ebay auctions advertising high grade copies of Disney comics with "barks' file copy stamp" on them.

All of my business transactions were conducted via a money order as Ryan Elliott would not accept any forms of online payment such as Paypal. As such, Ryan furnished me with the following mailing and email addresses:

Ryan Elliott

XXX Nebraska St.

Eugene OR 97402

Email Address: foxfire_kennels@worldnet.att.XXX

(XXX is in lieu of the actual values to protect any privacy concerns with this posting)

I'm sure the address was legit as that is where I mailed all my money orders that were subsequently cashed.

As the story goes, Ryan Elliott under his ebayId of barksducksuo started to rack up several negative ebay feedbacks.

This was about the time of when my aforementioned over graded Daredevils were on the way to me. Once the books arrived and I realized I had been taken and his ebay userId already been shut down and branded by ebay as “NO longer A Registered User”. At the time, I never pursued any legal action to compensate for my loss; Instead I decided to write it off as a cost of doing on business on ebay. I’m able to recount this series of events as I still have my original email interactions with Ryan Elliott dating back from late 2002.

However, In my opinion the reputation of CGG is at stake unless they publicly announce if this is the same Ryan Elliott who is their reported "Pre-grader and restoration professional”.

If they are the one in the same, I demand their retelling of events on the business transactions that occurred under his ebay userId of “barksducksuo” that results in ebay permanently disabling his userId.

I’ve heard many horror stories about deals gone bad with the sellers located in the Eugene OR area. This is especially true with Disney/Barks related comics. As such, I encourage all to retell their stories on deals gone awry with sellers located in the Eugene OR for the good of the comic collecting community.

Regards,

bhampel

However, In my opinion the reputation of CGG is at stake unless they publicly announce if this is the same Ryan Elliott who is their reported "Pre-grader and restoration professional”.

If they're not the same person, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Ryan & Donovan Elliott were related. It just gets more & more rotten in Eugene, OR. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Hmmm...having heard this, I find it strange that one of CGG's prototype slabs for Golden Age comics a few months ago was a fairly rare 1935 Donald Duck #978 comic. Note that the book is sideways in the slab, which I don't believe they do anymore:

duck978.jpg

I thought about this and actually did come up with something that I can add. I think that once again, TDComixnCards is connected to this. Months ago, I bought a book from TD (Terence Leder) which was a CGG graded 100-page Weird Mystery Tales #4 in 8.5. Cool book, no problems there so far (to be re-graded by CGC at some later date). Anyway, so I kept a watch on TD's listings and noticed several of those Red Circle type books listed with the switched cover. These strange books are legit and are listed in OS under "Red Circle Comics". Anyway, I remember this clearly because I was even thinking about buying one of these that had a Red Circle cover on a very high graded EC Young Love that was ALSO graded by CGG.

So, just how many of these Red Circle books are out there? No proof of a connection can be made here with this as it is possible that either TD or Barksduck had bought some off of the other, but it still does look a little strange. Could they be connected somehow? Who knows, just somehow it is apparent that TD was involved in some way, maybe innocently, maybe not. confused-smiley-013.gif -----Sid

I've already told the story of my one and only bad eBay transaction so

far: a raw WDCS #31 that I bought as a VF unrestored in the spring of

2001 and which CGC later gave an apparent VG (very good) with extensive

restoration. I lost $1,800 on the deal.

Unfortunately, I no longer have my correspondence with the seller (I changed

jobs soon after and lost my e-mail) All I can remember is that he was from

Eugene, Oregon. I do remember that the seller had a feedback of around 45

at the time with a couple of negatives; his other auctions were mostly for

baseball cards with some comics among them. While I was waiting for the

book, his account was NARU-ed. I wrote and asked about it and he said it

had been closed because he did not pay the eBay fees. He also told me

that he had been listing books on eBay for a comics store owner in his town

that was not familiar with the internet. I always suspected that ebay account

barksducksuo was somehow related to this person but it might just be a

coincidence that they are from the same place(?). At best, the seller I bought

from was a terrible grader with no knowledge about comics and restoration -

I have avoided sellers from Eugene ever since.

Recently, other collectors I know have had very good experiences buying

valuable CGG graded books from eBay seller tdzcomixandcards(SP?), also

from Eugene. Given their excellent feedback and the fact that Geppi is a return

customer, I might consider buying from them in the future.

As for the high grade books with file copy stamp, that is still a mystery to

me. The best explanation I can give is that someone gave them to Barks

late in his life and he used his stamp on them? If anyone knows the story

behind them, I would very much like to hear it.

Nah, no problem here. CGG admittedly gives preferential treatment to those who live nearby them. foreheadslap.gif

Yea, but what I meant by "prototype" is that this book looks like some kind of internal test, not a product they'd sell to people. It's the only sideways CGG book I've ever seen. That could easily be inaccurate, but the fact that a rare Duck book would be one of the first off the press suggests something. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nah, no problem here. CGG admittedly gives preferential treatment to those who live nearby them. foreheadslap.gif

Yea, but what I meant by "prototype" is that this book looks like some kind of internal test, not a product they'd sell to people. It's the only sideways CGG book I've ever seen. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nah, nothing wrong here. Just an "isolated incident". foreheadslap.gif

There is a real Ryan P. Elliott living in Eugene, Oregon who is 31 years of age.

There are numerous Don Elliots in Oregon as well (although none are listed at Donovan Elliot). Note the difference in the spelling of their last name.

If the CGG grading expert was your Ryan Elliot, it would be doubtful that he would have over 12 years experience working in the field of restoration since he seems to be too young.

These seem to be two different people.

(These results were obtained through publicly accessible search engines and may not be totally accurate.)

Ryan Elliott is TDcomixncardz 893whatthe.gif I bought books from him on 3 different occasions. On two of those occassions I had to send a money order to Terence Leder. The last time I bought something, which happened to be my now restored MTU 1 and ASM 68, I had to make out my money order to Ryan Elliott. I thought nothing of it at the time other to note that it wasn't Terence. I still have the money order receipt with his name on it, Ryan that is. So there is now an established link between TD and Barksducksuo, which was a suspision brought up when Barks was NARU'd and TD started selling.

There are numerous Don Elliots in Oregon as well (although none are listed at Donovan Elliot). Note the difference in the spelling of their last name.

CGG probably made a spelling error when they omitted the second "t" in Donovan Elliot's last name. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif