• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gary friedrich question

28 posts in this topic

Man what a sucky story. Maybe someone here can arrange some sort of signing opp with him or something to help him with the costs. Even if he can't sign Ghost Rider books I'm sure there's something else that can be done.

I don't see why he couldn't sign books or do sketch covers, there wouldn't be any legal issue with that. He just can't sell Ghost Rider merchandise or make claims about the character for profit. Signatures/sketches wouldn't impact that.

That is just unbelievable. Having read a bit on the creation of Ghost Rider, I honestly can't say that I have any idea who the true creator was. Also having a reasonable knowledge of "work for hire," there is a strong likelihood that even if he did come up with the whole character that he was not entitled to anything in the first place.

That being said, Marvel is worth millions and now owned by Disney which is worth billions. Do they really need the $17,000? Is that part of the judgement just to make a point to other creators who might try to come forward? Gary Friedrich doesn't have the cash to pay them, and without some kind of help, never will.

This isn't the same a Kirby vs Marvel, Kirby created the groundwork for the entire company. Ghost Rider is a second string character that happened to be chosen for movie treatment. No one cared about GR for a very long time as is evidenced by the multiple series that never seemed to last. Not a bad character by any stretch, but he was never A-list material prior to the movie.

I've already got the item I wanted signed by Friedrich, but I'm happy to pay more for another sig or two to help the guy out. I'll try to get an address on him and see where we go from there.

That is just unbelievable. Having read a bit on the creation of Ghost Rider, I honestly can't say that I have any idea who the true creator was. Also having a reasonable knowledge of "work for hire," there is a strong likelihood that even if he did come up with the whole character that he was not entitled to anything in the first place.

That being said, Marvel is worth millions and now owned by Disney which is worth billions. Do they really need the $17,000? Is that part of the judgement just to make a point to other creators who might try to come forward? Gary Friedrich doesn't have the cash to pay them, and without some kind of help, never will.

This isn't the same a Kirby vs Marvel, Kirby created the groundwork for the entire company. Ghost Rider is a second string character that happened to be chosen for movie treatment. No one cared about GR for a very long time as is evidenced by the multiple series that never seemed to last. Not a bad character by any stretch, but he was never A-list material prior to the movie.

I've already got the item I wanted signed by Friedrich, but I'm happy to pay more for another sig or two to help the guy out. I'll try to get an address on him and see where we go from there.

you paying him is exactly what got him in trouble. Well that and suing marvel while selling copyrighted items under their noses

It looks like he can still do everything he was doing at shows. He just has to buy authorized prints and take down the creator of ghost rider sign.

This is very sad. We need to help him out. I want to help him out. Marvel already won the case, Marvel doesn't need $17,000..what's their point? It's just not right to kick a guy when he's already down.

I would guess their point is to make an example out of Gary so all the other folks who created characters keep quiet and don't try to sue them as well.

To use a movie reference the strategy, in my opinion, seems to be akin to Gary being William Wallace to Marvel's Longshanks....the ending of Gary's story has yet to be written.

Nick Cage is a big comic fan and a big Ghost Rider fan. I wonder if anyone's approached him about making a call or two about how this negative press could impact him personally and impact the film.

I understand the need to head off future litigation, but this has a potential to backfire.

Personally, I won't go see this film because of everything that's happened.

The Order specifically says that he can sign comics for money. Also, while I am not siding with either party, it is important to note that Friedrich was the Plaintiff in this case. He brought it to try and get some of that sweet Ghost Rider movie bread. He never would have been on Marvel/Disney's radar if he hadn't sued them.

The Order specifically says that he can sign comics for money. Also, while I am not siding with either party, it is important to note that Friedrich was the Plaintiff in this case. He brought it to try and get some of that sweet Ghost Rider movie bread. He never would have been on Marvel/Disney's radar if he hadn't sued them.

That makes more sense. It could have been even worse for him.

Being the 800 lbs. Gorilla in the room has been working in the favor of major corporations, for better and worse, for centuries.

They have the means, the budgets, the lawyers and the time to impose their version of events in a way that individuals cannot.

That's a good thing when they are right and use that position to protect themselves properly and a very bad thing when they use it as a "whack-a-mole" hammer to smash anyone smaller than they are. I don't know if we've heard enough to make that call one way or another.

What we do know is how bad this makes almost everyone look right now, on the eve of the film premiere. No matter how you slice it, there are some intangible, yet sizable, dollars and PR capital being lost by the moment.

I wonder if Marvel ever offered a settlement to Gary. You know, something nice to thank him for his contribution and starting the franchise towards its eventual road to 9 figure box office success. PR-wise, giving him $100k a year for 10 years in exchange for everyone getting a happy happy joy joy vibe and for him promoting the film would have not made a dent in their bottom line but would have probably paid them back $10 for every $1 they spent.

Could they have offered him something and he turned them down? I don't know.

The whole thing just doesn't seem smart. The only people happy are the attorneys. Everyone else is left bloody.

There is already a Facebook page showing support for Mr. Friedrich.

I understand there are bigger issues, but don't kick a guy while he is down. I'm all for asking Marvel to forgive the debt and let the fans and the HERO Initiative help Gary.

The ideas about bringing Mr. Friedrich into the fold and having him promote with Marvel are brilliant and could be a plan that would allow both parties to save face and everybody could win. Also, the idea of Mr. Friedrich writing a book, comic or otherwise, about the whole ordeal could show others how the system works, for better or worse, and give a good understanding to everyone outside of the courtroom.

I understand there are bigger issues, but don't kick a guy while he is down.

This sums it up perfectly for me. I am conflicted from a legal perspective because he was the aggressor. But now that his case has been put down, there is no need to pile on.

At the end of the day, it will be all about enforcement. If Marvel never tries to collect its 17k, then the award is a toothless dragon.

I think this matter may touch on another that I have observed during my time working with artists. Although the creator may have contributed to the creation of a character the work was done on a work for hire basis. This does make business sense but perhaps, and I do see this happening more and more with the top artists, creators will only turn toward creating their own properties and the content and creativity among the larger companies will diminish as it has over the past 10-20 years.

The main issue I see here is one about people, as a student of the health sciences I have studied many things pertaining to health and mental health. The recent events with Jason Pearson and Al Rio should be a wake up call to the whole industry about the pressures that are put on artists.

I manage a group of about 10 artists so I can see full well the pressure that are placed on these individuals. Money is never certain, often work must be completed in advance to be paid, pressures from customers and publishers mount daily.

What large companies should have done to keep their companies creative and fresh is to offer some sort of benefits or long term royalties to these hard working people. In stead most only have life of uncertainty with no health benefits or retirements for a lifetime of work.

This particular case (Ghost Rider) along with some of the recent cases are shameful.

Didn't Marv Wolfman & Gene Colan win the case they brought against Marvel for Blade? If memory serves the judge determined the work for hire they signed the contract for only related to comics and didn't include other aspects such as movies TV etc.

you paying him is exactly what got him in trouble. Well that and suing marvel while selling copyrighted items under their noses

Actually the counter suit was a part of Marvel's defense combatting Gary’s lawsuit against them. The $17K judgment was the dollar figure that the court put on Gary’s sale of un-authorized copy-righted material, AKA anything that had Ghost Riders image on it, such as copies of cover are, copies of pages etc, NOT his collecting $2 for his Signature.

I’m curious as to the legal ramifications regarding freelance artist selling sketches of copy-righted images AKA and Marvel comic character. I guess the message Marvel is sending is…. Sue us and we will come after you for copy right infringement…..