• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should pressing be disclosed?

40 posts in this topic

If a book is pressed, submitted to CGC, and comes back blue - should the pressing be disclosed in an ebay description? If offered on these boards I can see that yes it should disclosed b/c many of you don't like pressed books, but how about on ebay?

I think you should always be honest and forthright when buying or selling books.I am not a fan of pressing,and I don't think I have a pressed book in my collection.I still feel it's restoration or manipulation,although minor. 2c

If a book is pressed, submitted to CGC, and comes back blue - should the pressing be disclosed in an ebay description? If offered on these boards I can see that yes it should disclosed b/c many of you don't like pressed books, but how about on ebay?

Are you asking if you should disclose to only the people you know?

If you were selling a used car, would you only disclose the problems of the vehicle to friends and relatives?

I have many other questions but, I will save them for later.

If you were selling a used car, would you only disclose the problems of the vehicle to friends and relatives?

the people I know? I don't know anyone I mentioned - here or on ebay. I only recently learned that ANYONE had a problem with pressing. I don't. Therefore your car example is not an appropriate analogy - where I would KNOW of a flaw and HIDE it, which I would never do. That said, it IS an appropriate analogy (WHAT??) in that given i now know some of you don't like pressing, and some of you may shop for comics on ebay...I therefore SHOULD disclose it!

I've arrived at my answer - thanks for bearing with my stream of consciousness in arriving there...

um...any other questions?

Personally I have no aversion to buying or selling pressed books and don’t consider it a particularly big deal if a book is pressed, but some do and that is the perception you need to be aware of when listing such items. I have always listed when a book has been pressed both here on the boards and in my eBay listings.

I’ve even put in a description once that I believed the book had been pressed even though I didn’t know for sure and there was no way to prove it: the book had a clear discoloration from standing moisture, but had no ripples or waves in the pages as paper tends to do when it is wet, it was very flat and smooth through and through. I said that I believed the book had been pressed at some point based on the visual evidence and my experience as a comic collector but had no way to prove or disprove the theory and it was simply my opinion.

It still sold for more than I thought it would (or thought it was worth) and the buyer was very happy and responded with positive feedback. Some people care a bunch and some seem they couldn't care less. Go fig (shrug)

speaking of car analogy.

here is a true, but painful..yet funny story.

I bought my first car in 1989 and it was a beater Mazda for exactly $1000. I promptly got into an accident with a pole on my way home. The driver side door was dented and my mirror was cracked.

when I got home, my friends gasped "oh krap, what happened to your car?"

I promptly replied "what? it is used, what do you expected"

what does this have to do with pressing...nothing but pressing thread need this kind of input.

your car example is not an appropriate analogy - where I would KNOW of a flaw and HIDE it, which I would never do.

I think it is a proper anology. Members of the CGC boards is a very small percentage of the comic collecting community. Many of these collectors are aware of pressing. As far as i'm concerned, for you to KNOW a book has been pressed and not disclose it, is considered "hiding". Some don't care, while others don't want pressed books in their collection. No matter how you want to phrase it, to not disclose is hiding. Otherwise, what's the harm in including this when selling? I can think of only one reason. It goes back to the car selling anology.

Interesting topic.

I'm of the mindset that CGC doesn't disclose this information because it cannot be proven one way or the other and the comic owner can simply deny it. I may be wrong about that, but that is how I understand it.

I no longer own any pressed books (that I am aware of lol). But, when dealing with my friends and boardies (the ones most likely to care about pressing), I always tell them if it was pressed.

As for eBay, I don't say if it is pressed as I'm sure many other people don't either. I don't mind if I'm buying a pressed book or not, it's not a concern imo. What's important to me when buying CGC books, is the number and label color (thumbs u

Jerome

your car example is not an appropriate analogy - where I would KNOW of a flaw and HIDE it, which I would never do.

I think it is a proper anology. Members of the CGC boards is a very small percentage of the comic collecting community. Many of these collectors are aware of pressing. As far as i'm concerned, for you to KNOW a book has been pressed and not disclose it, is considered "hiding". Some don't care, while others don't want pressed books in their collection. No matter how you want to phrase it, to not disclose is hiding. Otherwise, what's the harm in including this when selling? I can think of only one reason. It goes back to the car selling anology.

if you read all of my post you will see that in the end I agreed with you. Must disclose. I guess I rambled too much...

if you read all of my post you will see that in the end I agreed with you. Must disclose. I guess I rambled too much...

I totally understand. :)

I totally understand. :)

coolio - thanks for the PM

Yes it should be disclosed regardless of what avenue the book is being sold if you aware that the book has been pressed.

It should be disclosed, some of us shop on Ebay too. Disclosure is beneficial to both sides of the pressing debate. Those who don't like pressing don't want to buy it and those that don't have a problem with pressing need to know in case they intend to press and resub. It's not just a defect thing.