• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tony Moore Sues Robert Kirkman Over "Walking Dead" Proceeds

141 posts in this topic

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36911

Robert Kirkman's longtime collaborator and childhood friend Tony Moore is suing "The Walking Dead" co-creator over the proceeds for the wildly successful zombie property. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Moore filed suit today, claiming he was duped into signing his interest in "The Walking Dead" over to Kirkman in 2005. Moore co-created and launched "The Walking Dead" comic at Image Comics with Robert Kirkman in 2003, serving as ongoing artist from issues #1-6 before current artist Charlie Adlard took over. Moore provided cover art for "The Walking Dead" until issue #24 and also collaborated with Kirkman on "Battle Pope" and "Brit."

In the complaint, Moore alleges he initially signed a deal with Kirkman which would entitle Moore to 60 percent of "Comic Publishing Net Proceeds" and 20 percent of "motion picture net proceeds" for "The Walking Dead" and "Brit;" and 50 percent of "motion picture net proceeds" from "Battle Pope." In 2005, Moore claims he was informed by Kirkman a television deal for "The Walking Dead" was on the table, but "Kirkman would not be able to complete the deal unless [Moore] assigned all of his interest in the Walking Dead and other works to Kirkman," Moore signed the contract, believing the deal would not go through and claims Kirkman was attempting to "swindle" him out of his 50 percent interest in "The Walking Dead's" "motion picture net proceeds."

"Each of these works was prepared by [Moore] and Kirkman with the intention that their contributions be merged into inseparable or independent parts of a unitary whole," the complaint states. "[Moore] and Kirkman were thus joint authors and co-owners of the copyrights in these works."

Moore's complaint further alleges Kirkman and his company "have not issued a single statement or allowed access to their books and records in accordance with the reporting obligations of the agreement."

AMC's "The Walking Dead" launched in October 2010 to critical acclaim. The second season of the show premiered in October 2011 and its mid-season premiere, "Nebraska," airs this Sunday, February 12 on AMC. The show has become basic cable's highest-rated series, boasting as many as 7.3 million viewers. The trade paperback collections of the comic are a constant bestseller according to Diamond's monthly sales statistics, with "The Walking Dead" Volume 1 selling over 4,000 units in January 2012. The ongoing series is fast approaching its 100th issue, with "The Walking Dead" #94 in stores on February 29.

Kirkman's lawer Allen Grodzky called the lawsuit "totally frivolous," further stating, "Mr. Moore is owed no money at all. And Mr. Moore's contract has an attorneys' fees clause in it so we will be going after him to collect attorneys' fees. We are taking this matter very seriously."

"Moore signed the contract, believing the deal would not go through"

Whatta dupe. :facepalm:

Very odd considering he knew he had no interests in doing so.

that was before WD's popularity sky rocketed.

since WD is very hot right now, I'm guessing he's having "a lot of interest".

why do you think he's going after kirkman now AND not two or three years ago??? :gossip:

:slapfight:

"Moore signed the contract, believing the deal would not go through"

Whatta dupe. :facepalm:

Very odd considering he knew he had no interests in doing so.

that was before WD's popularity sky rocketed.

since WD is very hot right now, I'm guessing he's having "a lot of interest".

why do you think he's going after kirkman now AND not two or three years ago??? :gossip:

:slapfight:

Even without the popularity and royalty checks, there still was no point. If you own an intellectual property, why sign it away for a pittance?

Signing away your rights because network executives and the other owner told you the deal wouldn't happen if you didn't?

6851900313_e6bd939d69.jpg

As my dad always said: You don't get what you deserve, you only get what you negotiate.

Maybe he can take consolation in the fact that the Walking Dead has allowed him to sell his original art for ridiculous prices in relation to the level of his talent.

Taken out of context of the Walking Dead, you can buy art at any comic convention that is just as good for $15 - 25 a page.

Maybe he can take consolation in the fact that the Walking Dead has allowed him to sell his original art for ridiculous prices in relation to the level of his talent.

Taken out of context of the Walking Dead, you can buy art at any comic convention that is just as good for $15 - 25 a page.

Oh, snap. :D

:gossip: His art was selling for several thousand a cover and several thousand per page of interiors long before there was ever a whiff of discussion about a TV show.

I don't know how much time you spend actually looking at original art. I spend about 95% of my time in this hobby doing exactly that, and I don't think it's possible for me to disagree more with you about his level of talent.

:gossip: His art was selling for several thousand a cover and several thousand per page of interiors long before there was ever a whiff of discussion about a TV show.

I don't know how much time you spend actually looking at original art. I spend about 95% of my time in this hobby doing exactly that, and I don't think it's possible for me to disagree more with you about his level of talent.

I didn't mention the TV show, just the Walking Dead property as a whole. You are welcome to disagree with me, but when Tony Moore's art is priced at the same numbers as Kirby and Adams, something tells me is has to do more with the property he is working on, than his actual ability.

For example, if Tony Moore were to draw something besides a zombie books, say Aquaman or the Flash, do you think those pages would sell for thousands of dollars? No chance.

For example, if Tony Moore were to draw something besides a zombie books, say Aquaman or the Flash, do you think those pages would sell for thousands of dollars? No chance.

True, a Walking Dead fan would probably have less interest in Aquaman or Flash pages. (shrug) Not sure what that has to do with Moore's level of talent though? He's also one of the co-creators of this wildly popular series, so the suggestion that he 'lucked into' something is a bit puzzling.

I didn't mention the TV show, just the Walking Dead property as a whole. You are welcome to disagree with me, but when Tony Moore's art is priced at the same numbers as Kirby and Adams, something tells me is has to do more with the property he is working on, than his actual ability.

And you say it's the series that makes Moore's art popular, and I say it was Moore's art that launched that series and made it popular to begin with.

And what you say about an artist and the property he works on is universally true across the entire hobby. There's nothing novel there that should be used to slam Moore.

Ditko on Amazing Spider-man $40,000, Ditko on ROM; Space Knight $100.

Adams Batman pages can go for $10-15k for interiors, and $50k+ for covers. Neal Adams art on "Hot Wheels" $300. Strange Adventures with Deadman $1,500.

Kirby drawing fluffy bunnies a few hundred bucks....published Captain America pinup $20k. Fantastic Four cover art...up to $100k

Tony Moore art is not "more than Adams and Kirby" the BEST Tony Moore artwork is "more than mediocre or uninteresting Kirby and Adams". There's a difference there.

Tony created this book, brought it to life, made it popular in the first place. Maybe instead of him being grateful to the Walking Dead, maybe the Walking Dead should be grateful to Tony Moore.

His art isn't priced the exact same as Kirby or Adams. I prime Kirby piece goes for much more than a prime Moore piece. Sure Moore benefited from working on Walking Dead. Don't you think Kirby benefited from working on Fantastic Four?

You might not like Moore's style but you don't get stuff like this in a convention for 15 bucks.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=747814&GSub=49534

I'm kinda in-between on this commentary. I think Tony Moore should be grateful for what he's gotten on TWD, take that momentum and create another franchise while the iron is hot - yeah, he got screwed, but it was his own fault.

His artwork is mediocre and acceptable. Not good, not bad. Doesn't suck, but not amazing. Totally in the middle.