• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to forums

48 posts in this topic

Welcome to the boards! You can find some good deals on Ebay, but you mostly get screwed by people who overgrade and don't know how to ship. You will radically (and depressingly) redefine your idea of high grade by hanging out here. In the low and middle grades you will find some phenomenal deals here at times. In the high grades you will find some great, some middling and some WTF-is-going-on deals. All part of the learning process.

But drink. Alot. It helps.

Welcome to the boards.

If you are serious about collecting slabs, check out a site called GPAnalysis (http://comics.gpanalysis.com/gpaforcomics_login.asp). It's a subscription of about a $100 per year but is worth it. You can track sales and trends of slabbed comics to see if that offer on Ebay or here truly is a great deal.

GPA, as it's referred to, tracks sales over 24 month, 12 month and 90 day periods. It also collects data on like if the book was signed (and by whom) and grades among other things. It's truly a valuable resource.

But my best advice is just to sit back and listen to the people on these boards for a while before you delve into shopping. You can pick up valuable insight into grading, good/bad buyers, history, etc that you don't see a lot of elsewhere.

Good luck and enjoy (thumbs u

Just introducing myself. I used to be a comic book collector when I was young..*lol* Got the Daredevil series in paper wraps in mail! Collected Wolverine during the late 1980's to 1990s, Punisher War Zone, etc..etc..X-Factor..(Whilce Portacio was drawing the books for a time), was collecting during the Image Comics start-up...Valiant getting Ninjak, Turok, etc..etc.. was during the death of Superman, Batman back broke by Bane..*lol* and haven't even stepped in a comic book store no more than 4-5 times the past 15 years..*lol*

I'm really now interested in acquiring comic books for collectors CGC quality.:) So Im new..I've seen some comic books on Ebay that have the CGC rating of 9.8 for a Wolverine #50, which I actually got back at home, but I know is nowhere near those grade..*lol* I was too busy reading them back then.

Is Ebay a reliable resource? I've actually seen one for 29.99 and more than few a little bit more expensive but rated the 9.8 as the 29.99 one. Also a Herb Trimpe signature one. So should I trust Ebay or could you direct me to a site that has more reliable/trustworthy comics books to buy? Thanks for the help guys and girls.

YAY!!!!

Fresh meat umm.....I mean Welcome to the Boards :blush::grin:

(Hope you survive the asylum :insane: )

Funny...I will do some research, it's funny because back in the day when I was around 8-18. I really didn't learn or know about the grading of comic books, BUT when I bought my comics I actually looked at each comic on the rack to see if I found any bends, staples crooked, creases, etc...*lol*.

I wanted the best comic book condition I could buy..I even turned the pages just enough to read them..*lol*

Thanks for the help guys and girls.

Welcome to the Boards cpciv!

My advice is to change your Boards name now. It's a little nondescript in an alphabet soup kinda way.

May I suggest something a little catchier? More memorable?

Perhaps cp1970civ?

Or maybe cpfingciv?

Or Tupennycpciv?

xHBTBX is available? :o

Thanks for the suggestions, but the username stands for "Christians Proclaim Christ Is Victory".

Welcome to the boards.

If you are serious about collecting slabs, check out a site called GPAnalysis (http://comics.gpanalysis.com/gpaforcomics_login.asp). It's a subscription of about a $100 per year but is worth it. You can track sales and trends of slabbed comics to see if that offer on Ebay or here truly is a great deal.

GPA, as it's referred to, tracks sales over 24 month, 12 month and 90 day periods. It also collects data on like if the book was signed (and by whom) and grades among other things. It's truly a valuable resource.

But my best advice is just to sit back and listen to the people on these boards for a while before you delve into shopping. You can pick up valuable insight into grading, good/bad buyers, history, etc that you don't see a lot of elsewhere.

Good luck and enjoy (thumbs u

Just introducing myself. I used to be a comic book collector when I was young..*lol* Got the Daredevil series in paper wraps in mail! Collected Wolverine during the late 1980's to 1990s, Punisher War Zone, etc..etc..X-Factor..(Whilce Portacio was drawing the books for a time), was collecting during the Image Comics start-up...Valiant getting Ninjak, Turok, etc..etc.. was during the death of Superman, Batman back broke by Bane..*lol* and haven't even stepped in a comic book store no more than 4-5 times the past 15 years..*lol*

I'm really now interested in acquiring comic books for collectors CGC quality.:) So Im new..I've seen some comic books on Ebay that have the CGC rating of 9.8 for a Wolverine #50, which I actually got back at home, but I know is nowhere near those grade..*lol* I was too busy reading them back then.

Is Ebay a reliable resource? I've actually seen one for 29.99 and more than few a little bit more expensive but rated the 9.8 as the 29.99 one. Also a Herb Trimpe signature one. So should I trust Ebay or could you direct me to a site that has more reliable/trustworthy comics books to buy? Thanks for the help guys and girls.

Thanks for the info.:)

Welcome to the boards! You can find some good deals on Ebay, but you mostly get screwed by people who overgrade and don't know how to ship. You will radically (and depressingly) redefine your idea of high grade by hanging out here. In the low and middle grades you will find some phenomenal deals here at times. In the high grades you will find some great, some middling and some WTF-is-going-on deals. All part of the learning process.

But drink. Alot. It helps.

I don't drink, but thank you for the heads up on Ebay.

My advice is to change your Boards name now. It's a little nondescript in an alphabet soup kinda way.

Perhaps cp1970civ?

Or maybe cpfingciv?

Or Tupennycpciv?

Thanks for the suggestions, but the username stands for "Christians Proclaim Christ Is Victory".

*lol* or something. Why must you write L O L all the time, you really don't need to be laughing at yourself in every other sentence you type out.

WTTB!

Do a search of ebay user ID's here first - for the most part, Ebay is all right. But there are enough D.B.s to take some time before you send any of them your money.

[Didn't look through the thread, sorry if I am repeating anyone else - just printed my T&E outline for my test in 2 hours. Nothing like being prepared!]

Perhaps cp1970civ?

Or maybe cpfingciv?

Or Tupennycpciv?

*lol* or something. Why must you write L O L all the time, you really don't need to be laughing at yourself in every other sentence you type out.

*lol*

Perhaps cp1970civ?

Or maybe cpfingciv?

Or Tupennycpciv?

Really?

Perhaps cp1970civ?

Or maybe cpfingciv?

Or Tupennycpciv?

Really?

hm

In any event, xHBTBx was pretty nifty for a Boards name.

Perhaps cp1970civ?

Or maybe cpfingciv?

Or Tupennycpciv?

That's cool. I'm "Superman_Fan" over on the religion message boards. (thumbs u