• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Confessions of a speculator.

120 posts in this topic

85 was my guess for the Speed Racers listed...i think i have 100 Motorhead, maybe 30 King Tigers and and a small stack of Hulk 403 for some reason.

^^

Seriously, we need some pictures :)

As for me, the most I've speculated is probably on Fatale...can't seem to stop buying sets :blush: I usually don't go over 3-4 copies of anything Modern.

I don't speculate on anything.

I just buy what I want to read, I've made good on certain things like Crossed, early Chew books and the recent Uncharted #1. I missed the boat on Walking Dead because I was out of comics back then, had I been into comics when WD#1 came out then I would have had the series complete becaue I didn't start selling on eBay until past 2 years, the WD's would have stayed bagged & boarded and in the box. But it wasn't to be!

Who would have thought to speculate on WD#1 all of those years ago?

Speculating is a gamble like anything else, I could have bought 10 copies of Skullkickers #1 but ignored Morning Glories.

Speculation is also knowing "when" to sell, I missed the boat on Halcyon #2 which in UK was rare due to a shipping mishap, they were selling for $20+ and I recently sold the set for $7. Same with Blue Estate, Jake Ellis, Green Wake... all of these #1s are on eBay for 99p when they may have been going for more shortly after they came out.

Its fun if you have the spare cash and are willing to take a hit, but not a gamble I'm willing to take half the time.

Speaking of missing the boat, Fatale #1, yep like Morning Glories, I've missed out on this as well, why? Because it didn't seem like something I wanted to read.

There was actually plenty of spec on WD at the time. I remember attending SDCC 2003 and loading up on every copy I could find. Moore had #2 at $5 each, Kirkman had the first seven or so issues at cover price on preview night. Bought as many as I could. Think I ended up with 10-15 of each of the first six issues. Sold them when 1 and 2 were in the $60 apiece range. Would never have imagined prices would get this high (and as someone who was around at the beginning, current prices seem downright silly to me.

I was also the original owner of the WD 19 cover art (and 8, 11, 13, 16). Sold them all when my tastes changed (and honestly, Michonne has never done anything special for me, don't really understand the hype around her).

Knowing "when to sell" is impossible unless you have a crystal ball. ;-)

I just buy what I want to read, I've made good on certain things like Crossed, early Chew books and the recent Uncharted #1. I missed the boat on Walking Dead because I was out of comics back then, had I been into comics when WD#1 came out then I would have had the series complete becaue I didn't start selling on eBay until past 2 years, the WD's would have stayed bagged & boarded and in the box. But it wasn't to be!

Speculating is a gamble like anything else, I could have bought 10 copies of Skullkickers #1 but ignored Morning Glories.

Speculation is also knowing "when" to sell, I missed the boat on Halcyon #2 which in UK was rare due to a shipping mishap, they were selling for $20+ and I recently sold the set for $7. Same with Blue Estate, Jake Ellis, Green Wake... all of these #1s are on eBay for 99p when they may have been going for more shortly after they came out.

Its fun if you have the spare cash and are willing to take a hit, but not a gamble I'm willing to take half the time.

Speaking of missing the boat, Fatale #1, yep like Morning Glories, I've missed out on this as well, why? Because it didn't seem like something I wanted to read.

I'm with you... I'll get lucky every now and then, but that's it. I didn't buy WD b/c I thought it sounded stupid (and I still don't like it... tv or comic), but I bought Chew b/c it sounded awesome. Nonplayer, Fatale, Luther Strode, 27... 1 copy of each b/c I thought they sounded cool. I think the only thing I've ever really bought and flipped was MG#1... DCBS had a special where you got a free sketch card if you ordered #1. I got 2 copies... didn't care for it... sold them both a couple of months later.

the only time it works for me to speculate with what i like is with fantasy books/novels. I remember grabbing 10 copies of Game of Thrones 1st/1st when they were sitting at Barnes & Noble for $2.00 each on their junk overstock pile.

I seem to be able to do that much easier with books than with comics. I'm sitting on 4 copies of Wise Man's Fear double signed with OA (not your normal doodle) done by the map artist. I feel pretty good about those.

If i collected what i liked with comics it would be Classics Illustrated for GA, Doctor Strange & maybe Inhumans for Silver & Elric, Wheel of Time & Walking Dead/Invincible for Modern.

I enjoy the gamble of speculation, especially when it pays off.

I'm with you... I'll get lucky every now and then, but that's it. I didn't buy WD b/c I thought it sounded stupid (and I still don't like it... tv or comic), but I bought Chew b/c it sounded awesome. Nonplayer, Fatale, Luther Strode, 27... 1 copy of each b/c I thought they sounded cool. I think the only thing I've ever really bought and flipped was MG#1... DCBS had a special where you got a free sketch card if you ordered #1. I got 2 copies... didn't care for it... sold them both a couple of months later.

I started seeing more of those Nonplayer's listed on the ebay here lately and listed around $20-24...one guy has one listed at $124. I've got a couple but wouldn't mind a couple more if the price was right.

I picked up a bunch of Lock and Keys #1 when it first came out. There was a pile just sitting there at the LCS. Then sold them on ebay for $15-$20.

Nice!

I got a late start on Locke & Key.

I'm amazed some of you guys are allowed to clean out a specific book. I had a dealer tell me no and countless others say they didn't blame the dealer.

I imagine that they pre-order the titles. That's what I do. I wouldn't grab 5 copies of a title unless the shop had 100 copies. I think its just bad form to deprive others of the title (particularly when teenagers read comics).

My favorite speculation story was showing up at my LCS the week that Youngblood # 1 was released. My comic shop had about 300 copies with multiple stacks throughout the store along with signs that noted "Limit 5 per customer."

My biggest (misguided) hoards are Wolverine (vol. 3) # 1 and Ghost Rider (2006) # 1--more than 100 of each, from pre-orders. Figured that each would increase to $8-10 with the movies & I'd be able to sell them for $5-6; I was...wrong.

Ditto my 30 copies of The Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born # 1. These actually went to $8 or so for awhile before cooling.

I typically never buy more than one copy of anything, although I did pre-order a couple of couples of Chew. I sold too early on that, though. Maybe got $100 for the pair.

The first time I ever speculated was ASM 361, when I was in high school. I went to the local shop and bought 10 copies. The copies were included in a sell of my entire collection at less than a penny a book. doh!

I typically never buy more than one copy of anything, although I did pre-order a couple of couples of Chew. I sold too early on that, though. Maybe got $100 for the pair.

The first time I ever speculated was ASM 361, when I was in high school. I went to the local shop and bought 10 copies. The copies were included in a sell of my entire collection at less than a penny a book. doh!

361-363 were so awesome at the time tho! At least to me... and I can't stand Bagley's art...

361-363 were so awesome at the time tho! At least to me... and I can't stand Bagley's art...

+1

I'm not a big fan of his art either but 361 was big when I was in school! All my friends and me picked up a couple copies.

I actually still want to get 361 to 363 back in my collection. I have fond memory of that speculation buy.

I'm sure some one has an extra 5 or 10 in this thread that they can sell you ;) Who knows, Marvel could put Carnage in one of the new Spiderman flicks and the comic gets a long awaited bump.

yeah but that has 3 other books with it ...

Oops, I never looked at the auction, just scanning real quick through looking at 361's with an actual bid. There is aseveral with $100+ but didn't find anything with bids besides that auction.